Delta Fusion 82 Chatterley Luxuries Le Green Demonstrator

tguk911

I recently purchased a Delta Fusion 82 Chatterley Luxuries LE Green Demonstrator and I figured I'd share some of my thoughts with everyone about it. I was looking for my first Delta and I really like demonstrators so when I first saw this I knew I had to get it. I purchased it from Bryant of Chatterley Luxuries(no affiliation) who was awesome, I actually almost switched my mind and got the brown Fusion 82 LE instead but Bryant reassured me I was making the right decision with the green demo so I stuck with it and I'm glad I listened cause it looks so much better in person, the pictures don't do it justice. This is my first review so my grading isn't as refined as others. Also sorry for the poor pic quality I broke my digital SLR and I keep buying pens instead of a new camera.

Appearance and Design - 9.5

First I'll start off with the packaging, this was my first Delta but I've seen the packaging so it wasn't a big surprise. The packaging isn't that big which I kinda prefer cause I save all my boxes and there's no need for boxes as big as toaster ovens for a pen. The actual pen is housed in a really neat box and when you rotate the top cover you can see these schematic drawings which you can only really see with a light background behind it. Anyway the pen is held between a foam cutout which looks like a bow tie that I've seen in many other Delta LE pens.

Anyways onto the actual pen. I love the look of this pen, it was one of the selling points that made me decide to get it. When I first took the pen out of the box I stared at it for a good 3 minutes just admiring it cause it looked so much better in person. The green swirls look awesome, you really can't tell from in the pictures but the swirls aren't painted on the pen it's all throughout the acrylic which gives it depth and a 3D sorta look which I love. The clip looks a little funky cause it has this big hump on it but it makes it easier to clip onto thick materials like denim jeans which is nice. I also really like the retro font that reminds me of cars from the 50's that's on the band around the cap.

Weight & Dimensions - 9

The pen is around 145mm capped 129mm uncapped and 163mm with the cap posted. I haven't weighed the pen but I would imagine it's anywhere from 20-25 grams which is pretty light but it doesn't feel like a cheap pen when writing with it, it's a very solid pen. Also the pen felt comfortable both posted and unposted and had a good overall balance albeit a tiny bit top heavy with the cap posted probably since the only other metal used besides the nib is on the cap. The pen has rounded ends, I usually like flat ends on my pens but I like shape of this pen, also the cap and the end of the body are both tapered ever so slightly. The grip is slightly tapered and has a tiny lip at the edge which feels comfortable when writing.

Construction & Quality - 8

The pen is made from acrylic and since this is a demonstrator the acrylic has to be polished on the inside as well as the outside to get it as clear as possible unlike regular pens which are usually only polished on the outside. The one thing I thought was cool which you don't see with many c/c pens is that the converter is threaded and screws in to the grip section. Also I'd like to note that the pen does not have much hardware which is very un-Delta like, there's only one band around the cap and a clip which might make it seem a little cheap along with the light weight especially when you consider it's a $200 pen but I like that it's toned down from Deltas usual pen design.

Filling System - 7

The pen came with 3 standard international short cartridges which was hidden in a thin box and a converter, now c/c types are not my favorite in the least (even though they are convenient) but this pen can also be used as an eyedropper which is really neat and adds versatility to the pen. I've only used it with a converter so far but I eventually will use it as an eyedropper once I get some silicone grease. The pen does come with an O-ring around the grip section but I just want to get some silicone grease just to be extra safe. I haven't measured how much ink it would be able to hold when used as an eyedropper but I gather a good amount.

Nib & Performance - 8.5

The nib is the new fusion nib from Delta which is stainless steel with an 18kt gold plate attached to it. The nib is supposed to make ink more viscous through the stainless steel being heated from the gold plate through thermal conductivity, this has been discussed many times but personally I don't believe it. I think it's just a marketing strategy so they can use less gold in the nib but charge the same price, but this is just my opinion. Anyways even though I don't think the nib changed the viscosity of the ink I do think it's a very good nib, its pretty rigid but it's very smooth with a tiny tiny hint of feedback which I like. I've had a few hard starts when first starting to write with the pen after uncapping it but once it starts it's fine until I cap it and store it for a few hours also I should note that even though I did do a quick flush with a drop of detergent that this could just be oils from the manufacturing process since I've only had the pen a couple of days.

Cost & Value - 8

The price for this pen is $199 and the pen is limited to 18 pieces. I think the pen was worth it, I was looking to try a Delta out for the first time and this was a perfect choice especially since it was a demonstrator. Now I know some might think the price is a little too high for a pen that essentially has a stainless steel nib and that's a c/c and it's a fair point but it's a great writer, it can hold a ton of ink if used as an eyedropper and it's a beautiful demonstrator. So for me this was a great investment and I think it was worth the money but if you have a limited budget I will admit that there are a lot of other good pens out there that are cheaper that are of similar value.

Conclusion - 50/60

I was very pleased with the purchase of my first Delta fountain pen, I had high expectations and I'm confident to say it met them all. I wish the nib was a little softer and more responsive but it's stainless steel so you really can't expect that but other than that I think it's a well built pen. Also it's a shame only 18 people get to own this beautiful pen but I don't have to worry since I already got mine and maybe you'll pick one up too after reading this.

post-98833-0-29922200-1370070819_thumb.jpg

post-98833-0-55448000-1370071553_thumb.jpg

post-98833-0-93598400-1370071707_thumb.jpg

post-98833-0-30415100-1370071728_thumb.jpg

post-98833-0-16945900-1370073900_thumb.jpg

post-98833-0-29393600-1370071612_thumb.jpg

post-98833-0-15050000-1370071627_thumb.jpg

post-98833-0-61174500-1370071663_thumb.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tguk911

• kjm

• breaker

• Gloucesterman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very Nice review! Congratulations on the pen, I love the demonstrator body. The only thing that turns me off from the pen is the nib.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

Very Nice review! Congratulations on the pen, I love the demonstrator body. The only thing that turns me off from the pen is the nib.

Thank you! Demos are my favorite but I also really like celluloid pens too. I figure the price and the nib will turn a couple people off. What in particular don't you like about the nib?

Thanks for the review, great job! The barrel reminds me of a ink dropped in a cup of water.

So what are you going to fill it with as an ED, if it's green you'll lose the effect of the acrylic.

Edited by Uncle Red

THanks for the review! I've been looking at getting a fusion myself.

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

I have a brown Delta 82 with a M Nib and it is great right out of the box, very smooth. I can leave it for weeks and it writes with no hard starts at all. I just ordered the demo.

Thanks for the review, great job! The barrel reminds me of a ink dropped in a cup of water.

So what are you going to fill it with as an ED, if it's green you'll lose the effect of the acrylic.

It totally does I was trying to think of what it reminded me of it also kinda reminds me of brain synapses. I think it would look really good with like Noodlers Apache Sunset but I don't want to stain the barrel so I might just try a light turquoise.

I have a brown Delta 82 with a M Nib and it is great right out of the box, very smooth. I can leave it for weeks and it writes with no hard starts at all. I just ordered the demo.

There have been fewer hard starts lately and also it's a stub which need a lot more ink to write with so I forgot to factor that in but I know your going to love the demo I'm trying to save up for the brown one before there all gone.

I really like the pen. Something different with the demonstrator body and the green swirls in it.

Another aspect of interest is the limited edition with a reasonable price and a really limited number of pens.

It always brings a smile to my face when some manufacturer issues a limited edition pen with 10,000 or 20,000 pens. Oh, yes and you pay a big premium for the "Limited Edition" feature. Just another way to get people with the cash to ante up the extra $$$ for a number on a clip or nib.

Just mho :roller1: :roller1: :roller1:

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I like this pen also - I love looking at the top of the cap and the bottom of the barrel where the material is solid - clear, but solid, if that makes sense.

And it writes well. The nib is quite attractive and interesting.

Thanks for the review!

Enjoy! HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

• 1 year later...

A good review, beautiful pen. I have a M and Stub nib. In my case the M nib is superior since the stub is a hard starter (maybe iid the user).

the fusion nib is nothing special

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I have the matte black LE (40/50), also with the stub nib. TBH, I wouldn't have bought it had my successful eBay bid not been so low. At first, I was disappointed by this Fusion 82's light weight and rough/scratchy cap screw-on operation--not promising. But I was able to smooth out the scratchiness and my scepticism about the fusion nib was quelled by the smooth, consistent flow through it of some Cult Pens Diamine Deep Dark Brown ink--surprisingly expressive! That said, it may have to go as I trim down my factory-stub collection

post-100723-0-95259700-1404571191_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I recently purchased a Delta Fusion 82 Chatterley Luxuries LE Green Demonstrator and I figured I'd share some of my thoughts with everyone about it. I was looking for my first Delta and I really like demonstrators so when I first saw this I knew I had to get it. I purchased it from Bryant of Chatterley Luxuries(no affiliation) who was awesome, I actually almost switched my mind and got the brown Fusion 82 LE instead but Bryant reassured me I was making the right decision with the green demo so I stuck with it and I'm glad I listened cause it looks so much better in person, the pictures don't do it justice. This is my first review so my grading isn't as refined as others. Also sorry for the poor pic quality I broke my digital SLR and I keep buying pens instead of a new camera.

Appearance and Design - 9.5

First I'll start off with the packaging, this was my first Delta but I've seen the packaging so it wasn't a big surprise. The packaging isn't that big which I kinda prefer cause I save all my boxes and there's no need for boxes as big as toaster ovens for a pen. The actual pen is housed in a really neat box and when you rotate the top cover you can see these schematic drawings which you can only really see with a light background behind it. Anyway the pen is held between a foam cutout which looks like a bow tie that I've seen in many other Delta LE pens.

Anyways onto the actual pen. I love the look of this pen, it was one of the selling points that made me decide to get it. When I first took the pen out of the box I stared at it for a good 3 minutes just admiring it cause it looked so much better in person. The green swirls look awesome, you really can't tell from in the pictures but the swirls aren't painted on the pen it's all throughout the acrylic which gives it depth and a 3D sorta look which I love. The clip looks a little funky cause it has this big hump on it but it makes it easier to clip onto thick materials like denim jeans which is nice. I also really like the retro font that reminds me of cars from the 50's that's on the band around the cap.

Weight & Dimensions - 9

The pen is around 145mm capped 129mm uncapped and 163mm with the cap posted. I haven't weighed the pen but I would imagine it's anywhere from 20-25 grams which is pretty light but it doesn't feel like a cheap pen when writing with it, it's a very solid pen. Also the pen felt comfortable both posted and unposted and had a good overall balance albeit a tiny bit top heavy with the cap posted probably since the only other metal used besides the nib is on the cap. The pen has rounded ends, I usually like flat ends on my pens but I like shape of this pen, also the cap and the end of the body are both tapered ever so slightly. The grip is slightly tapered and has a tiny lip at the edge which feels comfortable when writing.

Construction & Quality - 8

The pen is made from acrylic and since this is a demonstrator the acrylic has to be polished on the inside as well as the outside to get it as clear as possible unlike regular pens which are usually only polished on the outside. The one thing I thought was cool which you don't see with many c/c pens is that the converter is threaded and screws in to the grip section. Also I'd like to note that the pen does not have much hardware which is very un-Delta like, there's only one band around the cap and a clip which might make it seem a little cheap along with the light weight especially when you consider it's a $200 pen but I like that it's toned down from Deltas usual pen design.

Filling System - 7

The pen came with 3 standard international short cartridges which was hidden in a thin box and a converter, now c/c types are not my favorite in the least (even though they are convenient) but this pen can also be used as an eyedropper which is really neat and adds versatility to the pen. I've only used it with a converter so far but I eventually will use it as an eyedropper once I get some silicone grease. The pen does come with an O-ring around the grip section but I just want to get some silicone grease just to be extra safe. I haven't measured how much ink it would be able to hold when used as an eyedropper but I gather a good amount.

Nib & Performance - 8.5

The nib is the new fusion nib from Delta which is stainless steel with an 18kt gold plate attached to it. The nib is supposed to make ink more viscous through the stainless steel being heated from the gold plate through thermal conductivity, this has been discussed many times but personally I don't believe it. I think it's just a marketing strategy so they can use less gold in the nib but charge the same price, but this is just my opinion. Anyways even though I don't think the nib changed the viscosity of the ink I do think it's a very good nib, its pretty rigid but it's very smooth with a tiny tiny hint of feedback which I like. I've had a few hard starts when first starting to write with the pen after uncapping it but once it starts it's fine until I cap it and store it for a few hours also I should note that even though I did do a quick flush with a drop of detergent that this could just be oils from the manufacturing process since I've only had the pen a couple of days.

Cost & Value - 8

The price for this pen is $199 and the pen is limited to 18 pieces. I think the pen was worth it, I was looking to try a Delta out for the first time and this was a perfect choice especially since it was a demonstrator. Now I know some might think the price is a little too high for a pen that essentially has a stainless steel nib and that's a c/c and it's a fair point but it's a great writer, it can hold a ton of ink if used as an eyedropper and it's a beautiful demonstrator. So for me this was a great investment and I think it was worth the money but if you have a limited budget I will admit that there are a lot of other good pens out there that are cheaper that are of similar value.

Conclusion - 50/60

I was very pleased with the purchase of my first Delta fountain pen, I had high expectations and I'm confident to say it met them all. I wish the nib was a little softer and more responsive but it's stainless steel so you really can't expect that but other than that I think it's a well built pen. Also it's a shame only 18 people get to own this beautiful pen but I don't have to worry since I already got mine and maybe you'll pick one up too after reading this.

attachicon.gifIMG_0211a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0220a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0225a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0241a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0308a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0246a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0247a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0254a.jpg

Wonderful review! Yes, Chatterley/Bryant is a great seller and I'm very interested in what you think of the Fusion nib. The folks that have them seem to find it is a smooth writer, especially in stub version. I'm hoping you can post your impressions after a year of use :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Enjoy using this beauty! I have a blue Fusion with a 1.1mm stub. It is a wonderful writer. Who cares about the marketing copy?

• 3 months later...

Received mine a week ago from Fahner's. I Chose the green which was beautiful.

I decided to try a cartridge first. Was very difficult to get it started then it was very dry and skipped a lot.

Went to the converter and filled it with Noodler's Black. It wrote for about a half page then started skipping badly and then qui for good. Would not restart. Cleaned and flushed and same result with a different ink.

Contacted Fahner's Customer Service for advice/assistance. No response despite following up. Next day I discovered it was leaking into the cap. Mess!

I cleaned and flushed it, packed it up and returned it to Fahner's for a refund.

j1020