Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Nick T

http://www.ntphoto.com/previews/kujaku.jpg

My first review. I realized as I was working through my thoughts about this ink just how involved a good review can become. I feel that I have just scratched the surface with this ink. I reviewed it because I wanted to give it some more love on these forums. It is truly an amazing ink just from the standpoint of it's performance on paper. I use it daily on a variety of paper and found it to be exceptionally well behaved on all but the worst, low bid scratch pad. So I hope to shine some light on this great ink and share these few thoughts. I hope you find the review helpful. I look forward to doing another one as time permits.

Cheers - Nicholas

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nick T

• AlejoPlay

• terminal

• dowdyism

Nice review. I'm not really a fan of turquoise, but I like the shading with the TWSBI 580 -- what nib was on that?

Has this ink got any sort of water resistance? I may have to consider trying a sample (oh, just what I need -- MORE ink... :headsmack:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I love this ink as well. This and the pelikan edelstein topaz are my favorites. I was surprised to find out how well behaved it was as well. Nice review of a fantastic ink !

Nice review. I'm not really a fan of turquoise, but I like the shading with the TWSBI 580 -- what nib was on that?

Has this ink got any sort of water resistance? I may have to consider trying a sample (oh, just what I need -- MORE ink... :headsmack:).

I'm not a turquoise fan either (except for Noodler's Navajo Turquoise, which comes close to KuJaku). But the shading on KuJaku is so dramatic, it lends it some gravitas. My Pilot Falcon SM produces a darker line than this scan (closer to the TWSBI)

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for the kind words. I was using a 1.1 stub nib on the twisbi 580. These nibs are one of the factory stock options.

I think the water resistance of this ink is just OK. I would not classify it as waterproof by any means. But on the smudge test it did pretty well. I have not submerged the writing in water for any length of time. As I am new to reviewing inks, I will read up on how to do a water test and let you know in a reply back to this thread. In my reading reviews of other Iroshizuku inks most have commented that the water proof characteristics are pretty low.

Cheers - Nicholas

Hi Nick-

Thanks for the review - would have never considered this ink before reading your review - but I do like that shading and will have to pick up a sample for a test drive! Maybe Goulet pens will put you on commission - only kidding - but thanks again - Marie

Thanks for the review. Amazing shading, perhaps more so than other Iro inks?

Yes - I do think this ink shades quite a bit more than the others. I am by no means an expert. I need more time to write with the other 3 bottles I have; Asa-gao, Chiku-rin and Tsuki-yo. I think the Ku-jaku has the best writing properties so far. So much so that I was inspired to get the word out:)

I also have a sample of Syo-ro that I was playing with before I bought the Ku-jaku. I want to say that the shading was very good too. I'd have to look at my writing samples but my memory tells me these two inks handled similarly. The Syo-ro is more green and has a tint of blue. The Ku-jaku is more blue with a green tint. Both are amazing compared to what else I have tried.

Cheers - Nicholas

Yes - I do think this ink shades quite a bit more than the others. I am by no means an expert. I need more time to write with the other 3 bottles I have; Asa-gao, Chiku-rin and Tsuki-yo. I think the Ku-jaku has the best writing properties so far. So much so that I was inspired to get the word out:)

I also have a sample of Syo-ro that I was playing with before I bought the Ku-jaku. I want to say that the shading was very good too. I'd have to look at my writing samples but my memory tells me these two inks handled similarly. The Syo-ro is more green and has a tint of blue. The Ku-jaku is more blue with a green tint. Both are amazing compared to what else I have tried.

I went back and forth trying to figure out if I should get Syo-Ro or Ku-Jaku since they were so similar. I ended up with Ku-Jaku because of the peacock name. But I still want Syo-Ro. LOL.

I went back and forth trying to figure out if I should get Syo-Ro or Ku-Jaku since they were so similar. I ended up with Ku-Jaku because of the peacock name. But I still want Syo-Ro. LOL.

Thanks for the comments. The two colors are quite similar indeed. But there is enough of a difference there to separate them tonally to consider owning both. What tilts the Syo-Ro into my favor is that is behaves, shades, flows and dries very much like the Ku-jaku. I would not be surprised to find the base formula are the same for both.

The Syo-Ro will be added to my collection this year for sure. When my mood is tilting a little more towards the green.

Cheers - Nicholas

Thanks for the comments. The two colors are quite similar indeed. But there is enough of a difference there to separate them tonally to consider owning both. What tilts the Syo-Ro into my favor is that is behaves, shades, flows and dries very much like the Ku-jaku. I would not be surprised to find the base formula are the same for both.

The Syo-Ro will be added to my collection this year for sure. When my mood is tilting a little more towards the green.

These Iroshizuku inks are dangerous. And I say this as someone who complained they were so expensive. I have five now and I am lusting after Chiku-Rin, Syo-Ro, Yama-Guri, Tsukushi, and Fuyu-Gaki.

Edited by AlejoPlay

These Iroshizuku inks are dangerous. And I say this as someone who complained they were so expensive. I have five now and I am lusting after Chiku-Rin, Syo-Ro, Yama-Guri, Tsukushi, and Fuyu-Gaki.

These inks are dangerous. They way they look and behave are so unique that I want them all. But a bottle or two a year will do. I have a bottle of the Chiku-rin so perhaps I will try my hand at reviewing that one next. All the best!

Cheers - Nicholas

Great review! :thumbup:

I too have waffled back and forth between Ku-jaku and Syo-ro. I've been comparing them for a few days now. I think I like Ku-jaku a bit more.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q712/FiveCatKnittery/D881A6D6-4630-4E6B-BDD0-34D4314E6BB3-4787-000000C0D7AD5364.jpg

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

I too have waffled back and forth between Ku-jaku and Syo-ro. I've been comparing them for a few days now. I think I like Ku-jaku a bit more.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q712/FiveCatKnittery/D881A6D6-4630-4E6B-BDD0-34D4314E6BB3-4787-000000C0D7AD5364.jpg

Beautiful work; thank you for adding it to this thread. The more I use this ink the more I appreciate it.

Cheers - Nicholas

Thank you. I liked the review and the comparison was really helpful.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Beautiful work; thank you for adding it to this thread. The more I use this ink the more I appreciate it.

I was just about to ask how much green was in the ink and this pic helped immensely. Ku-jaku for me!

I was just about to ask how much green was in the ink and this pic helped immensely. Ku-jaku for me!

Ku-jaku and Syo-ro look very close in color, especially when one is just comparing swabs. But when you get them on the page side by side the Ku-jaku is clearly tinted blue and the Sy-ro is clearly tinted green. Enjoy!

Cheers - Nicholas

Yes, but which one... Ku-jaku or Syo-ro... has better sheen?

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Yes, but which one... Ku-jaku or Syo-ro... has better sheen?

Howdy-

I might be able to answer that question tomorrow when the sun comes up. Sheen is not something I usually notice in an ink unless the page is backlit on my writing table. I would assume different papers and the coatings on those papers would also affect the sheen. I'll do my best to give you an answer as I have both inks on Rhodia and Clairefontaine side by side. Stay tuned.

Cheers - Nicholas