Recalcitrant A&w Classic Impressions Pen

swanjun

Greetings! One of my oldest pens is a thoroughly unfancy A&W Classic Impressions pen, but it writes reasonably well, and so when I spotted another one on eBay for quite cheap, I picked it up. This one's got issues, though.

First, it came with a dried-up cart affixed to it, so I reckoned there'd be dried-up ink to deal with. An overnight soak in water and ammonia got most of it, but I had to do another secondary soak with some dish soap before it was reliably flushing clear. The water was definitely making it from the squeeze bulb out through the nib.

I've now filled it with Noodler's Brown—using a syringe from Goulet and a rinsed-out cartridge—and it doesn't want to get going. Most scribbling produces nothing. If I squeeze the cartridge, ink will blob out of the feed and the pen will write a little before drying out. Similarly, if I store it upside down for a bit then pick it up, it'll write a little before drying out.

I don't know whether there's still a clog somewhere, or if the feed/nib are just out of alignment or something. This most resembles the problem I had with my Jinhao x750 when it was new, but of course with that pen, you can easily remove nib and feed and tinker away to your heart's content. It's not so easy with the A&W.

So... what else should I try? Is there a way to safely get the nib and feed out? Thanks in advance!

Edited by swanjun

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swanjun

• pokermind

• OcalaFlGuy

• fishink

I would start by taking and posting a couple pics, one looking down on and as close as possible and in focus of the feed and one looking straight into the front of the nib/section.

Clear Macro phone pics should be fine.

Other than that we'd be flyin blind. :blink:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I had the same issue with my A&W Classic. After multiple water and ammonia flushes I managed to get all of the dried ink out, but I still had a problem because the tines were pressing too hard against each other, preventing ink from traveling down the slit. I pulled the nib out, flossed the tines with steel feeler gauges, and gently pulled the tines apart to slightly separate them. The pens writes well now, but doesn't really appeal to me, so I will be offering it as a PIF in a few weeks.

I had the same issue with my A&W Classic. After multiple water and ammonia flushes I managed to get all of the dried ink out, but I still had a problem because the tines were pressing too hard against each other, preventing ink from traveling down the slit. I pulled the nib out, flossed the tines with steel feeler gauges, and gently pulled the tines apart to slightly separate them. The pens writes well now, but doesn't really appeal to me, so I will be offering it as a PIF in a few weeks.

Thanks for the reply! Maybe I need more flushes; I've only done two so far. How did you get the nib out of yours? So far the tines on mine are okay, I think. When it writes, however briefly, it writes okay and I can get my little metal shim thingie in between them.

Okay, picture time. I thought it would be helpful to post it in comparison with the one that works.

Green one: works

Black one: does not work

http://25.media.tumblr.com/060796f808c2fc3b9f38f0be9be0029c/tumblr_mftxwrxT2k1rsr66wo1_500.png

http://25.media.tumblr.com/e4daa03c6ec34332e50413ed1bb7b61e/tumblr_mftxwrxT2k1rsr66wo2_1280.png

http://25.media.tumblr.com/f9bb2aa12503131d18f80e45bbbdd466/tumblr_mftxwrxT2k1rsr66wo3_500.png

Update: I've been soaking the section all day, periodically checking in to give it ten flushes with the bulb. Even still, it's leaving little traces of black on the paper towel. I guess I just keep going 'til it stops doing that, eh?

Those both to me look made of purely modern materials. I don't think water will hurt them.

I've heard of soaking some modern Waterman sections A Month to get the feed channels really clean.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Those both to me look made of purely modern materials. I don't think water will hurt them.

I've heard of soaking some modern Waterman sections A Month to get the feed channels really clean.

I might be doing it, too! I'm still at it, and every time I flush and then wrap the nib in a paper towel, some black ink comes out. I was planning on placing a Goulet order soon—got to get samples of the new Iroshizuku inks!—so if I haven't sorted this out by then, I'll pick up some pen flush and give it a try.

When looking at the black pen the nip does not look like it is centered over the feed.

I am new to analyzing fp's but that is something I would look into if the pen were mine.

Good luck.

When looking at the black pen the nip does not look like it is centered over the feed.

I am new to analyzing fp's but that is something I would look into if the pen were mine.

Good luck.

Yeah, I did notice that, but it doesn't really move very much, alas. It's possible that I could knock out the nib/feed and adjust it, but then would I be able to get them back in? I'm a little scared to try! :)

• 2 weeks later...

How did you get the nib out of yours?

... It's possible that I could knock out the nib/feed and adjust it, but then would I be able to get them back in? I'm a little scared to try! :)

I just pulled the nib and feed straight out (using and old piece of bicycle inner tube to help me grab the nib and feed). Do not use a knock out block unless you really know what you're doing, otherwise you will damage the piece that pierces the cartridges (or worse). Once you align the nib and feed, just push it back in. Before you take it out though, note just how far the nib extends from the section, because you need to insert it back in to roughly the same position (if the nib extends too far out, you may run into problems when screwing the cap on). If the fit is really tight when you remove the nib/feed, put a touch of liquid soap on it before you insert it back to provide a little lubrication. Then flush the pen with water to remove the soap.

And remember, no guts, no glory. Let us know your results.

If you are going to order from Goulet then get some JB's Perfect Pen Flush.

Now, I got to buy a pen that won't flush. :headsmack: I've not used it yet.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I just pulled the nib and feed straight out (using and old piece of bicycle inner tube to help me grab the nib and feed). Do not use a knock out block unless you really know what you're doing, otherwise you will damage the piece that pierces the cartridges (or worse). Once you align the nib and feed, just push it back in. Before you take it out though, note just how far the nib extends from the section, because you need to insert it back in to roughly the same position (if the nib extends too far out, you may run into problems when screwing the cap on). If the fit is really tight when you remove the nib/feed, put a touch of liquid soap on it before you insert it back to provide a little lubrication. Then flush the pen with water to remove the soap.

And remember, no guts, no glory. Let us know your results.

Thank you! I might have to try this soon because...

If you are going to order from Goulet then get some JB's Perfect Pen Flush.

I've actually already done that. I'm not sure how many times I've flushed it with JB's so far, but it's a lot. Dozens of times. And it's had two overnight soaks in the stuff. The section is, right now, hanging out in an empty Goulet ink sample vial filled to the brim with pen flush. Still the problem persists, but after each flush (and the subsequent water flush) I can still see bits of black ink on the paper towel, so it's working, however slowly.

So, I have spent two weeks now trying to get this pen to work. A couple of times it has seemed like I had it. Just today I took the section out of the vial where it was having its prolonged soak, flushed it with water, popped the cart back in and it wrote for two 6x8 pages. "Hallelujah!" I thought. But then a little while later I tried to write with it and it died out quickly.

I can't get the nib out no matter how I try. I am starting to think something besides fountain pen ink was used in this pen... something which is immune to the magical powers of J.B.'s Pen Flush. :(

Oh, that's too bad. I actually have one of these, the blue marbled one. If you're interested in acquiring it, I'd be willing to part with it. It was cranky originally, but lately it's been working fine.

Message me if you'd like to work out something.

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

Do you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner? If you do, I would try putting the section (with nib/feed) in for a few minutes and see if that helps your cleaning efforts.

But maybe it's time for more drastic measures. Check out these videos by FPN's own Shawn Newton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhTi3e9DyHY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzb-l0IEZDk

I'd be willing to take a crack at your pen, but since I am not a professional, I would not be able to assume any responsibility should I happen to damage or destroy it. PM me if you care to pursue this further.

Edited by pokermind

!!!!! Thank you so much for posting this video! It just so happened that I had a roll of shelf liner not two feet from me for another project, so I cut off a square, found some sturdy pliers, et viola! The nib and feed came out just like that! There was indeed some kind of bizarre crusty substance on top of the feed and some dried black ink on the underside of the nib, so both are now soaking happily in a water/ammonia bath.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. I will let you know if all of this finally results in a pen that can write!

UPDATE: It's writing! I haven't tested it for a prolonged period, but there was definitely gunk on top of the feed and under the nib, and after vanquishing those with an old toothbrush, the pen is writing far more vigorously than ever before.

Thanks, FPN, for taking my concern seriously, even though this isn't some fancy pen. :)

Edited by swanjun

UPDATE: It's writing! I haven't tested it for a prolonged period, but there was definitely gunk on top of the feed and under the nib, and after vanquishing those with an old toothbrush, the pen is writing far more vigorously than ever before.

Yay!

The nib and feed are removable form an A&W pen!!!!! Tried before and could not get it to budge.

This information is really helpful to me as I have an A&W pen that will be turning 20 this year. It has been in constant use (probably never been uninked for more then a week at a time) and if I ever have trouble with it, nice to know it will not die form a clogged feed.

Thanks again.

The nib and feed are removable form an A&W pen!!!!! Tried before and could not get it to budge.

This information is really helpful to me as I have an A&W pen that will be turning 20 this year. It has been in constant use (probably never been uninked for more then a week at a time) and if I ever have trouble with it, nice to know it will not die form a clogged feed.

Thanks again.

Yay, I'm glad this topic has helped someone else, too! Honestly, I didn't even play the second video because the shelf-liner trick in the first one made nib/feed removal an absolute breeze. :)

Once you take them out, it's easy to get them back in, too. There's a subtle ledge on the feed that lets you know when the nib is where it should be, and sliding them back into the section is easy, as well, with a natural, easy-to-detect stopping point. Much easier than, say, adjusting an Ahab. :)