Herbin Bleu Ocean

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window then ensure the FPN Theme is http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/ecb8726d-1.jpg

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Grey Scale:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/b4a04182.jpg

As I do not wish to be dubbed 'Reine des voleurs de bande passante', wee image thumbnails are used where indicated. To view those image as intended, kindly left-click its thumbnail.

=|÷|=

Fidelity

At the time of posting, the J. Herbin site did not depict this ink.

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%201670%20Bleu%20Ocean/INK613_zps7bc2c480.jpg

Please note: One may notice some colour-shift away from Violet shortly after the ink is dry.

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

Distance between feint vertical pencil lines is 25mm.

Thumbnail:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%201670%20Bleu%20Ocean/th_INK615_zps5154d128.jpg

L ➠ R: Estie, M200, C74, 330, Phileas, NNPS.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 3.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%201670%20Bleu%20Ocean/INK629_zps084b53de.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%201670%20Bleu%20Ocean/INK618_zps45d6c8e9.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: G Lalo.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%201670%20Bleu%20Ocean/INK619_zps9142e0fe.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: Royal.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%201670%20Bleu%20Ocean/INK620_zps61477ccc.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Staples.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%201670%20Bleu%20Ocean/INK621_zps1e3f39c3.jpg

Figure 8.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%201670%20Bleu%20Ocean/INK623_zpsaca4fb45.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 9.

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%201670%20Bleu%20Ocean/INK616_zps47a6b572.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.

Daily writer?

• Likely.

A go-to ink?

• When a luxurious vibrant Mid-Dark Blue ink is desired.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• Very well suited to all manner of business correspondence, with a balance of animation and gravitas.
  • Some may find the Violet aspect a bit greater than expected, so a Blue-Black might be kept to hand. (I am sooo predictable.)
  • Another good pick for personal work product, delivering steady readability and a writing experience that supports long haul sessions; can handle marginalia.
  • Dry times might be attractive to left-handed over-writers. (?)
  • It may be a bit dark for dedicated forms work, and hasn't the zip for dedicated mark-up / editing of material printed in Black, nor the zap for error correction / grading.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• Certainly useful as a Blue variant, with good separation from Black; use on charts and graphs seems inviting.
  • From a wet-ish writer, HBlO will generate lines and labels of even density.
  • The low Smear/Dry Times support rapid work and re-working, such as cross-hatching.
  • As a watercolour, there is some apparent separation of Blue and Purple/Violet dyes, so HBlO seems best suited to dry brush rather than washes; and overworking and re-working with wet media seems a bit problematic.

Students:

• Almost convinced.
  • As for Business Use, we do have an enjoyable writing experience and high readability, with water resistance that should allow salvage of writings that went overboard.

Personal:

• Most welcome!
  • It is still early days with this ink, so HBlO has yet to be used for much in the way of personal writing - I am still finding my sea legs!
  • While certainly suited to pro forma business writing, I'd rather ink-up another pen with a default Washable Blue than generate more bumph with this ink.
  • There is enough warmth that I have no hesitation to use this ink for personal 'personal' writing.
  • I haven't spent endless hours sampling this ink, but from what I've seen, one should be able to use this ink freely with the vast majority of pens and the more FP-friendly papers.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• A bit high.
  • Controlled.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubricity:

• High.
  • Exceptional for an Herbin! :thumbup:

Nib Creep:

• Not seen.

Staining (pen):

• Not seen after two days.*

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely.

Bleed- Show-Through: :glare:

• Greater than expected.
  • Staples: LINK
  • HPJ1124: C74 & NNPS.
  • Royal: M200, 330, NNPS.

Feathering / Wooly Line:

• Not seen on papers used.

Aroma:

• Not noticed.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not evident.

Clean-Up (pen):

• Prompt and thorough with plain water.*

Mixing:

• J. Herbin forbids mixing of their inks.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

* Ink was left in the Phileas, so should there be any problems resulting from ink remaining in the pen for one week, I will post to that effect.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Not too calm or staid.
  • Not too flashy.

Saturation:

• A bit low.
  • A fully inked line is possible with little effort.

Shading Potential:

• Rather low.
  • A bit more was expected from JH. :(

Line quality:

• Typically high.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • About average.
    • The narrow nibs ran very smoothly, even on the textured G Lalo.

[*]Papers used:

• Slightly greater than expected.
    • As ever, G Lalo was a challenge. HBlO did quite well, but really does need to be matched with a pen at least as wet as the NNPS to avoid choppy lines.
    • Do watch for the papers' base-tint showing through the ink when running the ink at low density, though no glaring colour-shift was apparent.
    • I went searching high & low for the anticipated shading, but came away all but empty handed. Phooey!

[*]Malleability:

• Nothing too too exciting.
    • Performs 'nicely' within a fairly narrow range, though the performance profile is fairly generous.

Hi-Res Scans:

Originals are 60x30mm.

All are thumbnail images.

Estie on HPJ1124:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%201670%20Bleu%20Ocean/th_INK628_zps250234f3.jpg

C74 on Rhodia:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%201670%20Bleu%20Ocean/th_INK624_zps8e025421.jpg

330 on G Lalo:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%201670%20Bleu%20Ocean/th_INK626_zpsb98fa527.jpg

NNPS on Royal:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%201670%20Bleu%20Ocean/th_INK627_zps0dd7bc23.jpg

OTHER INKS

This Review uses the same Written Sample format, atrocious handwriting and some pen+paper combos common to most of my previous Reviews of Blue inks. Consequently, ad hoc comparisons through manipulation of browser windows is supported.

Should that functionality not meet your requirements, I welcome your PM requesting a specific comparison. Additional scans may be produced, but the likelihood of additional inky work is quite low.

Swab Swami

Thumbnail:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Herbin%201670%20Bleu%20Ocean/th_INK614_zps29d2cf8f.jpg

Left ➠ Right: Lamy Blue, Aurora Blue, Diamine Sargasso Sea, Montblanc Royal Blue.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• Most.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Those that are too absorbent, and cannot suppress bleed- show-through.

Copy/Printer Paper:

• Performance is very good indeed, though two-sided use seems rather unlikely, especially from lighter-weight stock.

Tinted Papers:

• Certainly possible, but as the ink is not too saturated, I'd suggest pairing with a wet writer.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Hmm.
  • It certainly seems that I'll be heading in that direction - prospecting for greater shading potential.

ETC.

Majik:

• Not really, no.

Billets Doux?

• Rather unlikely.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• Today the NNPS on the G Lalo gets the nod.
  • The pen is nice and wet, with a wide nib, giving quite good density without overtaking the paper.
  • The paper seems a bit 'classical', which pleasantly complements the slightly reserved ink.

Yickity Yackity:

• Well, not exactly an inky adventure, more of a coastal jaunt to the next safe harbour.
  • Ah kushbaby, unless you have a jones for shiny cord & wax seals . . .

======

NUTS BOLTS & BOILERPLATE

Pens

Written Samples:

A. Esterbrook J + 9550 firm posting steel XF nib.

B. Pelikan M200 + g-p steel EF nib.

C. Pilot Custom 74 + Soft Fine-Medium 14K nib. *swoon*

D. Sheaffer 330 + steel M nib.

E. Waterman Philieas + duo-tone steel B nib.

F. Non-Nudist Pink Safari + goosed 1.1 steel nib.

Lines & labels:

Sheaffer Skrip Turquoise from a Pilot Penmanship + EF.

Papers

• HPJ1124: Hewlett-Packard laser copy/print, 24lb.
  • Rhodia: satin finish vellum, 80gsm.
  • G. Lalo Verge de France: natural white, laid, 100gsm.
  • Royal: 25% cotton, laser/inkjet copy/print, 'letterhead', 90gsm.
  • Staples: multi-use copy/print, USD4/ream, bears FSC logo, 20lb.
  • Pulp: Calendar page.

Imaging:

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Hi-Res images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photobouquet & IP.Board s/w.

Densitometer Readings:

HPJ1124

• Red 126
  • Grn 136
  • Blu 215
  • Lum 149

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always YMMV, due to differences in materials, manner of working, environment, etc.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Sandy1 J. Herbin 1670 Bleu Ocean Anniversary Blue Ocean

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• The Scribbler

• The Good Captain

• Laura N

Always a pleasure to read your reviews. I received a bottle of this one recently, but I haven't opened it, yet. This may motivate me. Sounds like a broad nib or italic would be the way to go.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Another fantastic review, Sandy and it's a colour I find most acceptable. I prefer the Bleu Nuit though and have purchased accordingly.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Another delicious review, thank you! Really disappointed with this ink after the furore around its release. I was expecting something along the lines of the original 1670 with regards to saturation etc. I do however, have enough blues to stay content for the time being!

Edited by Bhavna

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

Always a pleasure to read your reviews. I received a bottle of this one recently, but I haven't opened it, yet. This may motivate me. Sounds like a broad nib or italic would be the way to go.

Hi,

Thanks for your kind words!

Please let us know of your experience and thoughts about this ink. It is quite new in the market, so I always find it interesting to see how things evolve.

I share your preference for the wider shaped nib with this ink. My personal pick from the pens used was the Safari with a 1.1 nib. This ink is well within my comfort zone, so I do not feel the need to tip-toe, as I do with some colours that are relatively new to me.

Bye,

S1

Another fantastic review, Sandy and it's a colour I find most acceptable. I prefer the Bleu Nuit though and have purchased accordingly.

Hi,

Thanks! :)

Yes, well, unseating Bleu Nuit would be quite a feat. And time will tell where Bleu Ocean might find a bit of shelf space.

Bye,

S1

The saturation seen in Sandy's review is lower than what I see so far. I've only inked one pen with it. I think my sample has about the same saturation as my rouge hematite sample, sans the pigment that settles out of the latter.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Another delicious review, thank you! Really disappointed with this ink after the furore around its release. I was expecting something along the lines of the original 1670 with regards to saturation etc. I do however, have enough blues to stay content for the time being!

Hi,

You're welcome!

How unfortunate that you're disappointed with this offering. Though it did receive quite a build-up, and some anticipation that it would be akin to the other 1670 ink, Rouge Hématite, with its astounding glitter & glow.

I am certainly content with the Blue inks I have, but my curiosity gets the better of me some most of the time. :rolleyes:

Bye,

S1

Thanks for another great review.

I have a bottle and the color I see on my paper has more purple tone than what I see in your review. It strikes me as close to Iroshizuku Asa Gao, though I have not yet done a side by side comparison. Hope to get to that this afternoon.

Edited by whichwatch

Thanks for this wonderful review. It is an ink I'm unexpectedly taken with, especially from a medium or broad nib. It seems to work in all contexts, but it avoids being just another boring mid-range blue. It has pizzazz.

Like mhosea, I think the ink from my bottle is more saturated than these scans look on my monitor. I look forward to finding a pen that will bring out the less saturated look.

I am a J. Herbin fan, but this ink strikes me as the J. Herbin ink for those who don't usually like J. Herbin.

I find the color to be nice but it feathers like crazy on everything I've used except Rhodia paper.

Edited by The Scribbler
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

The saturation seen in Sandy's review is lower than what I see so far. I've only inked one pen with it. I think my sample has about the same saturation as my rouge hematite sample, sans the pigment that settles out of the latter.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your impressions!

I won't be doing a comparison with Rouge Hématite, but I've posted about thirty Reviews of other Blue inks, using a few of the same pen+paper combos, so one can get some sense as to the saturation of HBlO relative to those inks.

It has been mentioned a few times by other Members that I write with a light hand, so I am not 'pushing' the ink onto the page or using enough force to spread the pens' tines to any great extent. That personal nuance alone may account for the difference in results.

Please let us know how things go.

Bye,

S1

Thanks for another great review.

I have a bottle and the color I see on my paper has more purple tone than what I see in your review. It strikes me as close to Iroshizuku Asa Gao, though I have not yet done a side by side comparison. Hope to get to that this afternoon.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your impressions!

I'm quite satisfied with the colour fidelity when comparing my originals to their display on my MacBook: not 'perfect', but fit for purpose.

Please let us know of your comparison to asa-gao. I've reviewed that ink, so if you think they are very close, as time & tides permit I can post a new scan that includes both inks on the same paper/s from the same pen/s.

Bye,

S1

Thank you for another fine review.

Looking at your writing samples, I was thinking that this ink looks a lot like Aurora Blue.

Then I saw your comparisons and it does look very close to Aurora Blue. However, I am surprised that it is also close to Montblanc Royal Blue.

Thanks for this wonderful review. It is an ink I'm unexpectedly taken with, especially from a medium or broad nib. It seems to work in all contexts, but it avoids being just another boring mid-range blue. It has pizzazz.

Like mhosea, I think the ink from my bottle is more saturated than these scans look on my monitor. I look forward to finding a pen that will bring out the less saturated look.

I am a J. Herbin fan, but this ink strikes me as the J. Herbin ink for those who don't usually like J. Herbin.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Thanks for sharing your impressions of this ink! :thumbup:

I share your opinion that that amongst the vast array of Blue inks, there is a certain something that sets this ink apart, which I think will be revealed over time as one uses the ink. (Let the hair-splitting begin!)

I too felt that Bleu Ocean was a bit of a departure from the other Herbin FP inks in my array, especially in terms of shading potential and lubricity. But those variations don't seem enough to boost this ink into same league as the 1670 Rouge Hématite.

If you choose to pursue a less saturated appearance, perhaps a drier pen and/or a less absorbent paper would give the desired result. I reckon its a bit early to suggest dilution, but . . .

Bye,

S1

I find the color to be nice but it feathers like crazy on everything I've used except Rhodia paper.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing!

The samples I've done show little if any feathering, and those include the random papers that I've encountered in the wild.

So that others can avoid such results, please let us know what papers were used.

Bye,

S1

I agree with your findings and now think I should be looking at Sargasso Sea for my next blue. :thumbup:

I haven't had a chance to try my sample yet. I had been wondering, though, how it compares both color-wise and behavior-wise to Sargasso Sea, which is nice dark blue but has a tendency to dry out and clog my pens if I'm not careful.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you for another fine review.

Looking at your writing samples, I was thinking that this ink looks a lot like Aurora Blue.

Then I saw your comparisons and it does look very close to Aurora Blue. However, I am surprised that it is also close to Montblanc Royal Blue.

Hi,

When I receive a new ink, I typically make some swabs before writing with the ink. My initial impression was that HBlO and Aurora Blue are in the same neighbourhood.

Especially for new inks that I review, I do most of the writing prior to comparison with other inks. I find that keeps my focus on the new ink, without being overly distracted by other inks.

I am still a bit surprised that the swabs show such a close similarity to MBRBl; so that is another candidate for inclusion in a sideXside comparison to Bleu Ocean.

Bye,

S1

I agree with your findings and now think I should be looking at Sargasso Sea for my next blue. :thumbup:

Hi,

I'm glad this Review has helped select your next Blue! :)

Bye,

S1