A4 Journal Layout

NeelsK

I've been playing around with different journals and journal sizes and have finally settled on the Quo Vadis A4. But having such a huge piece of paper "real estate" does not automatically make whatever you right pleasing to the eye. So after some reading and studying I came across the work done by Jan Tschichold and others. You can find some very interesting reading regarding page layout here: Canons of page Construction - wikipedia

To cut the rambling short, I've created a template for A4 pages that conforms to the proportions they've discovered and I really like it. I've attached it here for those that might be interested.

A4 Journal Layout.pdf

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NeelsK

• HDoug

• nunez

• drifting

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting the template! It will produce a very nice looking page and although it seems that there is a lot of white space, there are uses for these margins. Iʻve been using a similar layout for over a year:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8158/7170380519_feb8f0384f_b.jpg

I put the dates of the entries at the upper outside of each page, and every time I start a new day I enter that in the outside margin. I start every paragraph a letter space or so outside the box, usually with the time of day if itʻs a new entry. After Iʻve written something I think particularly clever or valuable, I put a check mark in the margin. You will notice no such self appreciation in the above example.

The layout Iʻm using uses less white space than yours and follows one of medieval architects Villard de Honnecourtʻs formulas. I blogged about it here and the entry has links to a wonderful Retinart post about medieval page layout formulas, and even a short video showing the beauty of how the area is determined.

I later tested two different layout formulas in my own journal and compared them here.

Again thanks. Iʻm really glad to find people interested in these sorts of seemingly esoteric stuff!

Doug

Ah, very nice! I do believe I might switch to 12x12 instead of 9x9. The 9x9 is realy nice for magazines and books but 12x12 looks better for a journal. Will have to make a new template tonight. Hmmm.

What journal do you use?

Neels

What journal do you use?

The pictured journal is a Kunst & Papier 144 page binder board. I bought several of those a few years ago and Iʻm glad of that because the price has really gone up. Iʻm okay with the paper, but my favorite before they were discontinued was the Lalo A4 cahiers. Those were really wonderful. There are some other possibilities waiting for my attention, but that might be a long wait because I have a few yearsʻ supply and not much storage space.

What journals are you using?

Doug

Edited by HDoug

Iʻm really glad to find people interested in these sorts of seemingly esoteric stuff!

:thumbup:

Doug, do I see a box penciled in on each page in your photo? Do you find that more effective than using an under-the-page template?

Ryan.

Doug, do I see a box penciled in on each page in your photo? Do you find that more effective than using an under-the-page template?

Good eye! Yes, I pencil in a box, and usually use an template with lines under the sheet. When I used the whole page Iʻd free hand without template -- and I can write in fairly straight lines -- but when I started using boxes it didnʻt look right without very uniform line spacing and straightness. But I was kinda sorta trying to emulate ancient practice. I saw what looked like pencil lines (both to box text and to indicate text lines) in historic documents.

Look at this mid 15th century example:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8152/7360971650_7e4c5a1a6a_z.jpg

You can see the lines in the closeup:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8158/7175765445_e788a3aaed_c.jpg

By the way, isnʻt this scribeʻs work just wonderful?

Doug

Edited by HDoug

By the way, isnʻt this scribeʻs work just wonderful?

Doug

Yes, it certainly is. But yours is definitely not too shabby either. I've seen pictures of your journals before and I'm always attracted by their neat and careful lay-out and your wonderfully regular italic handwriting. I sincerely envy you, in an admiring sort of way. I still have a long way to go in that respect.

Cheers,

Peter

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

The pictured journal is a Kunst & Papier 144 page binder board. I bought several of those a few years ago and Iʻm glad of that because the price has really gone up. Iʻm okay with the paper, but my favorite before they were discontinued was the Lalo A4 cahiers. Those were really wonderful. There are some other possibilities waiting for my attention, but that might be a long wait because I have a few yearsʻ supply and not much storage space.

What journals are you using?

Doug

I have a number of different ones:

Quo Vadis A4

Stillman&Birn Epsilon

Artmate

Off all of them I think the Quo Vadis is the most functional, although I do prefer the white paper of the Epsilon.

I've made a new template based on the 12x12 layout and I have to say, it works much better than the 9x9. I will attach the PDF just in case anyone is interested in using it.

[Edit] Forgot to say again: It is for A4 size. If you would like a Letter or Legal size one, let me know. Also, if you would prefer the layout marks as per the layout method Doug posted, let me know. It is a layer that can be turned on or off during printing.[/Edit]

12x12 Layout.pdf

Edited by NeelsK

Thanks for the compliment peterpen53. Iʻm hoping that after a few more years of practice, my hand will "set" into something precise, clear, and... trying to think of the word... "gracious" maybe.

Doug

Anybody got an easy formula for a similar layout for letters on different sized papers please? What is the ratio of margin to tect and for headers and footers?

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

The trick is to divide by equal units, so divide the page in 12x12 units then use the following: 1 unit top margin, 1 unit inner margin, 2 bottom and outer. No matter if it is 9x9 or 12x12 or something different. Well that's the quick answer, obviously you can adjust it to your taste.

Thanks, NeelsK. I was thinking more of a single page than a book format so the side margins would be equal. Should it be 1.5 twefths on each side or is there some other format that would work better?

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

Well, for a single page I would probably go 1 unit sides and one units top/bottom, but I will have to try it out and see.

Edit: I tried that and it looks like my normal letter writing template ... nothing spectacular but at least neat

Oh, and another thing, go with 9x9. 12x12 leaves small margins ... not my preference.

Edited by NeelsK

There is some discussion and formulas for single sheet layouts in Reynoldʻs Italic Calligraphy & Handwriting. As I recall. Iʻll take a look and report back if I have time (and if no one has already found the info).

Doug

I wanted to thank HDoug and NeelsK for posting these great resources. I have a hard time with margins. I always write up to the utmost limit of the page, but then I'm dissatisfied with the way it looks. I think I have some kind of subconscious paper-wasting anxiety. A convenient rule of thumb and some nice templates are exactly what I need.

Any maybe some therapy and a good tranquilizer. One thing at a time.

"Malt does more than Milton can to justify God's ways to man." - A. E. Housman

• 2 weeks later...

Even though my penmanship is not nearly on the same level as Doug's and my layout is quite a bit more shoddy (still seeing what works, this layout has made my journal a lot more attractive, in my opinion ;)

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g459/NeelsK/Journals/20120625-_MG_9276.jpg

Even though my penmanship is not nearly on the same level as Doug's and my layout is quite a bit more shoddy (still seeing what works, this layout has made my journal a lot more attractive, in my opinion ;)

Nice! Thatʻs the layout that divides in 12ʻs right? Which journal is that? -- it opens very flat which is a notworthy feature. Oh, and the pen -- Nakaya?

Doug

Nice! Thatʻs the layout that divides in 12ʻs right? Which journal is that? -- it opens very flat which is a notworthy feature. Oh, and the pen -- Nakaya?

Doug

Yes, 12x12. The journal is the Quo Vadis A4. I am REALLY impressed with this journal. Thinking about ordering a 10 year supply ;) And yes, the pen is a Nakaya. I just love this pen. linky