The Significance Of Red Ink

Bigeddie

211 members have voted

1. 1. How do you use red ink?

• I use red as a daily writing ink (at least sometimes)
    • I use red for specific purposes
    • I use red for specific purposes depending on the context (i.e. what it is and who's reading it)
    • I have lots of red ink, but struggle to find a reason to use it
    • I don't use red ink

I have an aversion to using red ink. I will quite hapily use it for editing my own work, but for anything that anyone else will read I simply can't bring myself to use it. I think this stems from guidance from my mother when I was young; she said that using red ink might cause offence.

There have been several posts that have touched on this topic regarding colours used for marking other peoples work, mark up, and editing. There has been one post about whether people use red ink, and one about whether using red ink is ok for everyday writing. This is specifically on red ink, and the significance of it in cultural and historical contexts. I will attempt to link sources, however much of it will be from sites which are not scientific in nature, as such people from some of the cultures mentioned who know better may like to point out any inaccuracies. I will try to be unbiased by inducing the good as well as the bad.

Some of what I have found indicates that it is associated with blood, and this simply might offend people. This seems to be an oversimplification and has no specific sources.

Death

One of the most prevalent reasons for not using red ink is that it is associated with obituaries (china) and death. In Korea it seems to signify that a person has died, or is about to die, and is used in funeral rights when the deceased is named. In the dark ages red was used to write death warrants.

In keeping with this association with death, it seems common that red can be used to signify a threat.

Financial deficit and bad luck.

Being 'in the red' is certainly a common term in the UK, meaning to be at risk or making a loss (it's opposite being 'in the black'). Some of what I have read indicates that an association of writing in red is made with bad luck in China, as opposed to things like red wrapping paper or envelopes, which is a symbol of good luck.

Academia

Traditionally red pens have been used for marking in the west. Although some evidence has shown that brief exposure to the colour red in tests can decrease student performance, although the same article points out that other tests have demonstrated the opposite, or simply been inconclusive. The same researchers have also shown that brief exposure to red on the cover of test papers causes people to avoid test questions which are marked as harder.

Positive reasons for using red.

Red has classically been used for drawing attention to things. Warning signs and important information; In medical records in the UK the only thing that can be written in red are allergies and adverse reactions.

There is evidence that red has been used to signify importance. The name of important members of the third dynasty of Egypt have been written in red to signify their importance.

Historically in China the royal family have used red ink, this seems to be at everyone else's loss where they were prohibited from using it.

That's what I could find, if anyone would like to contribute a link or their thoughts, it would be appreciated.

Ed

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• VillersCotterets

• Scrawler

• Uncle Red

It would seem to be it's Sir Alex Ferguson's favourite ink colour too, along with Meddler's 'Champions Gold'.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I spent about eight hours the other day, on a 'Cemetery Management' training day, which was actually fascinating. One snippet that caught my attention was that details of a burial should be entered into the Burials Register (as soon as is practicable after burial) 'in durable black ink'. If there is a disinterment or exhumation for any reason then the details are to be entered in the Disinterment Register 'in a durable ink other than black - red is suggested'.

Having been involved in the computerisation of some of our local Cemetery, Burial and Grave Registers, I am appalled at the amount of inappropriate inks used over the years. I am not referring to the colour changes due to iron gall inks, fading etc.

Ballpoint pen comes to mind!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I use Parker Quink Red ink at Christmas time, for letters and cards..

Interesting topic.

Besides wrapping paper, red is considered an auspicious color for weddings in China and I think maybe also Japan (as opposed to white, which in Japan is the color of death).

Red is considered a forward moving color (as is yellow and orange) -- as opposed to blues and purples which are receding colors -- in modern garden design.

As for the color being used for attracting notice:

1) We once had a vet who didn't listen to us when we warned him that my old cat was very subtle (she was a brindle tortie) -- she often (but not always) gave one warning when she was displeased about something, and it was often easy to miss. He said "I'm faster than any...OWWW!" (literally that fast!). Then wrote "Caution -- aggressive" on her chart in red ink. Stupid man -- we *had* warned him.

2) My mother was a writer, and used a red bp to do correction work in her typed manuscripts (including on the carbons, three pages at a time). At one point a few years ago, she volunteered for a program in the Romance Writers association to anonymously critique a new author's work (outline and a few chapters). After about two pages, she was so disgusted with the poor quality (grammar and spelling errors, high-falutin' language for snootiness' sake, etc), that she got out her editor's pen. By the time she got done it looked as if she'd bled on the damned thing!

I haven't tried any red inks yet; most of the ones I've seen are too dark/red-black for my taste -- Like Lola in the movie _Kinky Boots_ I don't want to inspire "burgundy".... :rolleyes:

OTOH, I could seriously go for a bright red *pen*....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I use a red ink daily but it's Noodler's Red-Black, so maybe it's too dark to count? It matches the color of the pen and it's water-resistant, which is why I chose it. :D

I wrote a thank-you card in Noodler's Habnero last night, and when I was finished, I stopped and looked at it and thought, "hmmm... I wonder if they'll find this color insulting". This pretty much always happens to me when I use a redish ink...

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

I use red as it matches a lot of my pens. I only use it at one though when doodling or writing lists.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I use red as a daily writing ink ONLY if it's a dark red like J'Herbin 1670 or something like that. If It's a light red I only use it to stand out the text

Except for Christmas or Valentine's Day greetings, I personally stay away from classic red ink. It is associated in my mind, from elementary school, with mistakes or points marked off. When I edited or corrected other people's work, I used a more neutral or friendly color. I wasn't trying to intimidate or chastise the writer, but wanted him or her to look on the suggestions more positively and collaboratively.

A cheery reddish pink, or pinkish red, is as red as I go, but not in a context when it could seem as if I were correcting or chiding others.

This just relates to ink. I like red as a color.

I like red inks, especially the darker ones like Red Black and Oxblood. I've got Copper Burst in my Conklin. I just think the color looks cheerful and I saw a lot of red on my assignments when I was young.

Now Green I can't stand!!!

Red ink is essential to me for my work. Boxes and lines drawn in bright red (Nikita) show modifications to program logic, and text descriptions of work. It stands out against the other colours I use. I use other shades of red for greetings and good luck messages.

I have (had - he's deceased) a friend who was an ophthalmologist like I am, and because he was broke one year, he accepted a two-year post at the South Pole Station in Antarctica as physician-in-chief, or some such title. Well, they also have a U.S. post office there, and at Christmas time many, many Christmas cards are routed through the South Pole so people can have their stamps cancelled there, sort of the way we Northern Hemisphere occupants send ours the the North Pole (if we're kids that is, and have encouraging parents. My own curmudgeonly father thought it was nonsense and wouldn't brook such shenanigans.)

During my friend's stint, the postmaster had to make a trip to the coast for some reason, and he asked my friend (Let's just call him 'Dick", for that was his name) would he mind canceling Christmas cards and other mail for a couple of days while he hopped an airplane ride up to the coast.

Well, when the Christmas mail started to come through, Dick thought that given the holiday, it might be fun to cancel the affixed stamps in red ink, and green ink too, if he could locate stamp pads around the base. Turns out he did - both find the appropriate stamp pads and cancel the postage with those two Christmas colors.

As Dick relayed it to me, it turns out that for a U.S. Post Office to use any other color than black is a Federal offense, and among stamp collectors all the hundreds of stamps immediately assumed value beyond their face amount. Of course Dick got hell for doing it but what was done was done.

Dick had several other experiences while he was there, one of which was to obtain (as a gift from the U.S. Coast and Geodesic Survey team) a core sample of snow that fell at the South Pole the year that Jesus Christ was born. He took that little vial home with him and baptized his first-born child with the water.

RIP, Dick. God rest your sweet soul.

One more thing: no one should ever assume that red ink is only for recording deficits!

Thomas/

Edited by tdeecy

I use red ink not only as part of my professional activities, but also personally to express myself.

I have yet to receive any feedback that I shouldn't have sent a letter done in red ink and have asked recipients point blank what their honest thoughts were, including if they were in some way offended.

None have indicated such and I plan to continue my practice of using red ink in letters from time to time, without remorse.

"Have fountain pen, will travel."

I use red ink not only as part of my professional activities, but also personally to express myself.

I have yet to receive any feedback that I shouldn't have sent a letter done in red ink and have asked recipients point blank what their honest thoughts were, including if they were in some way offended.

None have indicated such and I plan to continue my practice of using red ink in letters from time to time, without remorse.

With time, meanings are lost, and meanings change. Like how words that used to mean a bundle of sticks for burning, is now a derogatory term for a male homosexual. I am glad that the meaning of red ink has become a bit more accepted in today's times.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

With time, meanings are lost, and meanings change. Like how words that used to mean a bundle of sticks for burning, is now a derogatory term for a male homosexual. I am glad that the meaning of red ink has become a bit more accepted in today's times.

Indeed, my favourite lady has enjoyed my passionate, red inked letters and continues to expect more.

"Have fountain pen, will travel."

I don't live in the dark ages or have superstitious Korean friends thinking they are about to die or go bankrupt. Therefore, I pretty much feel free to use red ink as much I want, any time I want.

I don't live in the dark ages or have superstitious Korean friends thinking they are about to die or go bankrupt. Therefore, I pretty much feel free to use red ink as much I want, any time I want.

That's hilarious. I know, cause I'm Chinese, and my fiancee is Korean. I don't know what to do if we decided on a traditional wedding. Her's will be all white ( signifying death in Chinese) and a Chiense one will bee all red, (signifying death in Korean). :roflmho:

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

I like to ignore most traditional culture when it becomes prescriptive. I am happy to joke about such ridiculous things (no, ma'am, a table for four won't do...three plus one please), but as soon as someone tells me I should not give shoes or a set of four clocks set at 4:44 as gifts, I get quite grumpy. Reds aren't my favorite colors for white paper, but I always want to be sure I have some around just in case someone tells me to not use it.

Robert.

I like red pens and red ink. Simple reason: red is sexy. :rolleyes:

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)