Size Of Pelikan M200

Pendoodle

I want to buy a pelikan m200, but I was a little worried about the size. I have heard some people say it is too small for their tastes. I have an Esterbrook lj, multiple Parker 51's and a Parker Vacumatic. Which of those pens do you think is closest to the size of the m200? And just let me tell you that the biggest pen I own is a TWSBI 540.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”

― Dr. Seuss

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pendoodle

• kenmc

• Bo Bo Olson

• Bigeddie

Top Posters In This Topic

The M200 and an Esterbrook J are almost the same length and thickness so the Pelikan would be the same length as your LJ but a little thicker.

Thank you Uncle Red.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”

― Dr. Seuss

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

Take note from the photos of the length of the "grip" sections. The reason my M200 sits on the shelf is that section is too short to be comfortable for me.

Ken McDaniel

<")}}}>><(

Many people grew up with only Large and Over sized pens and refuse to post....so standard sized pens like a Pelikan 200/400 or Estie are too small for them.

Can't change a mind not ready for change.

If you post the standard sized pen it will be longer than the un-posted shorter Large or Over sized pens.

Sort of odd, eh?

IMO Standard sized pen are better balanced posted than not.

A Pelikan 600 or 400NN are medium large pens, a tad smaller than the P-51.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Bo Bo, it's not the length or girth of the M200 (or even the 600 for that matter) it's that extra short grip section - the threads just dig into my fingers. If Pendoodle like the "hold" of the 540, Im afraid the Pel won't be comfortable.

Weren't those Esties made as "school pens" for little kids to use at school?

Ken McDaniel

<")}}}>><(

Bo Bo, it's not the length or girth of the M200 (or even the 600 for that matter) it's that extra short grip section - the threads just dig into my fingers. If Pendoodle like the "hold" of the 540, Im afraid the Pel won't be comfortable.

[...]

I don't find this a problem, the threads on the M200/400 size pens are substantially less pronounced than the 540. I have grown to like the M200 size very much for regular and prolonged writing.

Incidentally, the section in front of the threads on the MB146 is the same length as the Pelikan M200/400.

Horses for courses! If we all liked the same things think of all the fun arguments that we would miss! Will this ink dissolve that pen, are this manufacturers goods falling apart all the time or fantastically reliable, is X brand is overpriced or not, are 50% of this model not fit for purpose out of the box...

Edited by Bigeddie

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

No, Esties were adult pens. So were some Wearevers. Even the medium large P-45 was an Adult pen.

Standard sized pens were standard. Just look at most of the vintage pens. A 1940 Parker Vac is the same length as an Estie.

a couple of my pre-war and after the war Wearevers are medium-large a couple are standard.

Most of my vintage German pens are standard, with a few medium large.

A P-51 is a medium large pen.

I only had the pastel metal capped Estie, after they stopped making the pretty ones in 1960.

The Estie at a cost of near $2.00 (two hours work) was a tad expensive for school kids...of working men's families. I vaguely remember fountain pens...More the Wearever and the Venus. If I had a school pen Sheaffer or Parker...it left no lasting impression.

Fountain pens walked fast...I just know for a while I got a new one every year. It could be in 9th or 10 grade I got a good one...that got stolen.

Try the forefinger up method of grasping a fountain pen, your death grip will die.

Look up in the Advanced search, "Tripod" and "Death Grip"

In both of them, I and a couple others discus the forefinger up method of grasping a pen.

It takes up to two minutes to learn...and after wards you hold your pen automatically lightly as if you were holding a featherless baby bird.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

To address the grip sections: Does the esterbrook lj have a grip section like the m200? If that's the case, I enjoy using my esterbrook lj and don't mind the grip section.

― Dr. Seuss

Hi,

I use the M200 with various nibs in my Ink reviews, so a search of the Inky Thoughts Forum should reveal more scans than this one:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Pen_Scans/8c592869.jpg

L →R: Estie J, Safari, 51 Vac, Sheaffer 330, Phileas & M200.

Please PM if there is another pen that you have, and wish to see in comparison with the M200.

I hold most pens well up on the section. Even though my daily writer Sonnet has a long smooth section, as my grip [on the pen] is very light, gripping the threads on other pens does not bother me in the least.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions/input. And special thanks to sandy1 and bigeddie for the pictures. Those helped a lot. I believe I will go ahead and order one from Mr. Binder with one of his specialty nibs.

― Dr. Seuss

Thanks everyone for your suggestions/input. And special thanks to sandy1 and bigeddie for the pictures. Those helped a lot. I believe I will go ahead and order one from Mr. Binder with one of his specialty nibs.

I think your will enjoy your pen a lot! Buy it, and have fun; if it is not for you you would be able to list it here in the classifieds with little to no depreciation in value.

"To the optimist the glass is half full, to the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."