Renaissance Art 8.5X11 Journal

curiouslizard

This is a Renaissance Art 8.5x 11 inch Recession Refillable Journal. I've owned it for about a year and this journal has traveled with me everywhere, it now has a nice lived in feel to it, like a well loved leather jacket. Since I already owned several small journals and notebooks, the letter size page was a natural fit. The cover of the journal is made from their rustic leather and has the optional wrap and tie closure.

fpn_1322447105__ren_art_1.jpg

I chose to buy the Zerkall Frankfurt Cream instead of the standard Arches paper for a small up-charge. According to their web site, Zerkall specializes in the manufacture of mould made wavy laid paper. This particular paper is made from cotton and high alpha cellulose, weighs 120 grams, is pH buffered, acid free and "non aging". I can't find a consistent source for converting grams to pounds but suffice it to say that this paper feels similar to 32 pound Crane's 100% Ecru cotton but with a firmer wavy surface and a beautiful deckled edge. The hand sewn signatures of this journal lie flat.

fpn_1322448037__ren_art_9.jpg

For those of you who are accustomed to silky smooth papers such as Rhodia and Clairefontaine, the wavy laid pattern may take a little getting used to. Although the paper is smooth, the wavy pattern does provide small surface variations. A broader wetter nib glides easily over this surface but drier finer nibs might be less pleasant. Since I write with broad stub and italic nibs, I was just pleased as punch with the lovely traditional feel of this paper. There is absolutely no feathering, ghosting or bleed through. (Noodler's Zhivago ink, Pelikan 800 with a broad stub nib).

fpn_1322447961__ren_art_7.jpg

The inserts for the 8.5x11 contain 128 pages. I chose mine with plain end papers but there are many decorative options. In the future I may opt for something more colorful, that's the beauty of a refillable journal. Due to the thickness of the paper, there is no hump to write over where the paper inserts into the inside flap.

fpn_1322447457__ren_art_3.jpg

I enjoy this journal more than any other I own. I'll probably buy another smaller version such as the 5.5x8.5 as a companion from Renaissance Art when my other journals are finished. My cat loves this journal so much he wants one too!

fpn_1322448807__ren_art_10.jpg

Edited by curiouslizard

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• curiouslizard

• dapv

• WOBentley

• Artbeast

Thanks for the review. You have lovely handwriting!

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

Handwriting = fantastic!

Kitty = Extreme cuteness

Journal = on order ;)

Thanks

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Did you add the lines yourself to your specs? Your handwriting is A. MAZ. ING. Thanks for the review!

Yes, I started to draw my lines after I was inspired by HDoug and a post he made earlier this year. I'll see if I can find it or maybe he can chime in...

Incidentally, you can buy inserts for this journal that are pre-lined in various formats.

Here's the web site for page layout, then I rule the lines based on an x height of 4 nib widths. Again, thanks to HDoug for this.

edited to add web site.

Edited by curiouslizard

I'm so intrigued by your review, Elizabeth. In addition to this wonderful journal you have an old style Pelikan M800, they're perfect together. Which nib are you using? Your pics are also terrific. Your handwriting as said in an earlier note is "amazing", breath taking actually. I have a real appreciation for handwriting. Would it be too much to ask you to share more of your handwriting? Lastly, I really like the idea of setting your own lines which you've done perfectly.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

CFTPM

I'm so intrigued by your review, Elizabeth. In addition to this wonderful journal you have an old style Pelikan M800, they're perfect together. Which nib are you using? Your pics are also terrific. Your handwriting as said in an earlier note is "amazing", breath taking actually. I have a real appreciation for handwriting. Would it be too much to ask you to share more of your handwriting? Lastly, I really like the idea of setting your own lines which you've done perfectly.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Thanks, that is a first year West German 800. The nib is a Pelikan broad customized by Mike Masuyama to a 0.7 mm stub and it is wonderful to use :cloud9:

I taught myself cursive italic with the book by Lloyd Reynolds. As a lefty over-writer there was lots of practice practice practice and it remains a work in progress.

Thank you for the beautiful review Curious.

I was admiring your review when I particularly noticed your handwriting. It looks almost exactly like what I am striving for based upon the book, Write Now, by Barbara Getty and Inga Dubay.

So, there is hope for me.

Nice work. :thumbup:

Hex, aka George

curiouslizard: Could you explain your process to set down the page lines you write on, height, and which pencil and lead you use? You've really got me energized. Thank you.

CFTPM

Well if the Kitty likes it, It must be good!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

curiouslizard: Could you explain your process to set down the page lines you write on, height, and which pencil and lead you use? You've really got me energized. Thank you.

I create the writing space on the page using the layout in the link above. Then I use an x height of four nib widths to determine line spacing . Here is a nice guide for determining x height. The x height is obviously different for different paper, ink and nib combinations. Next, measure the x height with a compass and mark the line spacing down the left margin of your writing space with the compass. Then use a T square to draw a line across the page. Repeat until the page is ruled.

If your paper is translucent enough, create a guide sheet and place it underneath to make life easier, but opaque papers needs to be ruled by hand. I use a Pentel mechanical pencil and try to use as light a touch as possible.

Most calligraphy books have a section on this and there are a lot of great resources in the Penmanship forum. Good luck!

Elizabeth... I love that Pelikan and, thanks so much for an honest review. The paper you are using is Frankfurt Creme. The Zerkall is a little heavier at 140 gsm and is smooth. It was reviewed years ago on FPN and called the Cadilac (did I spell that correctly) of papers.

Arthur

Arthur

www.renaissance-art.com

Cadilac (did I spell that correctly) of papers.

Arthur

Very close you were just short one "l" it is actually Cadillac...but for a tue artist and craftsman like yourself even us car guys can overlook that ;) :notworthy1:

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg