Vademecum Leather Pocket Notebook Cover Review

TankCommander1554

Okay…a while back I ordered a VadeMecum Leather Notebook Cover (specifically a hipster) and as per my agreement with the owner he provided me with a prototype model at a reduced price in exchange for me reviewing this product. Full Disclosure - I have no affiliation with VadeMecum Leather or Field Notes Brand Notebooks.

Some background first though, I initially decided on a cover because my Field Notes pocket notebook was getting a little too beat up in my pocket. I am currently deployed to Iraq in support of Operation New Dawn and my notebook was getting soggy and really floppy due to all the sweat, dust, and mud. After searching for a while I happened upon jrduarte’s VadeMecum Leather products on FPN. I figured a hipster would provide protection for my notebook and allow some secure method for carrying a few cards/money/etc as I rarely carry my wallet over here.

Here are my thoughts on this product. I will review several different aspects of the product including cost/shipping, construction, and functionality.

COST/SHIPPING:

For the quality, this product is priced reasonably. It is made of real leather and comes in several color options. I chose the dark brown pebble. The new cover will run you $30, which is more expensive than some other covers on the market, but as I said the cover is worth the money in my opinion. Shipping was fast and relatively hassle free even coming from outside the US.

CONSTRUCTION:

This notebook cover is very well constructed. The leather is soft and the stitching is tight on the border of the cover. The inside of the cover is unfinished leather – not an issue in the least though as it is covered by the notebook. The outside edges are all smooth and in my opinion this notebook is very professionally constructed. Even with the hot and sweaty days we have had in Iraq the leather has remained soft and subtle.

FUNCTIONALITY:

For my job – pen and paper is absolutely necessary at every single minute of the day. My notebook and cover have been in continuous use for the last 2 months or so in my shoulder pocket. I use this cover as my wallet and my filing system. It has two nice slots (one on the outside and one on the inside) for small notes, cash, and my laundry tickets. The inside card holder slots hold my ID and Credit Cards. This cover easily allows for a man (or woman) to ditch the wallet and still carry a notebook. The notebook is well protected in the cover and has some flex but not enough to allow the notebook to be bent or destroyed. It also prevents the pages from getting damp – even on the hottest days. As for the fit of my notebook, this cover fits a 3.5x5.5 notebook perfectly. My current notebook is only 40 pages, but this cover could easily accommodate twice that if necessary. There is very little if any movement in the notebook – secure hold under both sides of the cover.

I’d say my only issue with this cover is when you have cards or anything else besides the notebook in the cover, it is hard to lay it open flat write on both sides of the pages. The cover itself will lay completely flat, but with added bulkiness the pages don’t always lay flat. This really isn’t a ding on the cover – just an observation. Overall, I’d say this is a fantastic notebook cover that is well made and well worth the money. It will certainly be a great addition to anyone who normally carries a pocket notebook.

Contact jrduarte on FPN for further details. Pictures later if I can figure out how to upload them.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevesurf

• inkypete

• KrazyIvan

• jimhughes

I wholeheartedly agree with TankCommander's assessment. I've had my Hipster (tan) for a couple weeks now, and I am very pleased with it. It is very well made and the extra pockets, both inside and out, are very functional. I'm currently carrying a Field Notes notebook, some business cards, a small yearly calandar card, and a laminated reference card for work inside the Hipster, and a PocketMod in the outside pocket. I hadn't even thought of using it as a wallet, but I may give that a try too. Vademecum also has some other nice products on the flicker site. Highly recommended. (not affiliated with them, just a satisfied customer).

-s

• 4 weeks later...

What's the best way of ordering; I already contacted jrduarte awhile ago and have not heard back.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I have four of the rane and they are the best new product for 2011 in my humble opinion. Great product, very well priced and excellent service. If your email hasn't been answered try again as I found him very responsive and helpful.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

those zipper folios look great

It's the one I use the most. Holds three pens and a clairefontaine 9x14 notebook. Very handy especially when I travel.

Odd he has not replied, I first contacted him through PM here then by email. Maybe try through his Flickr account?

Thanks, I'll try that; did he use PayPal or Amazon for payment?

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

Odd he has not replied, I first contacted him through PM here then by email. Maybe try through his Flickr account?

Thanks, I'll try that; did he use PayPal or Amazon for payment?

It was Paypal. I have two email addresses for him. Contact me via PM and I will get them to you. I just don't want to expose his address to the spam bots.

Juan took PayPal, when I ordered mine, several months ago. It took him a couple of weeks to get the Paypal set up. But that shouldn't be an issue now. He lives in Managua, Nicaragua. I'm not sure he has a good internet access. He seemed to respond to me about 10:00 PM CDT in the states. He's a great guy to work with. I'm surprised he hasn't replied to your inquiry. Maybe off for Holiday break someplace, w/o net access? Jim

Juan took PayPal, when I ordered mine, several months ago. It took him a couple of weeks to get the Paypal set up. But that shouldn't be an issue now. He lives in Managua, Nicaragua. I'm not sure he has a good internet access. He seemed to respond to me about 10:00 PM CDT in the states. He's a great guy to work with. I'm surprised he hasn't replied to your inquiry. Maybe off for Holiday break someplace, w/o net access? Jim

Many thanks! It's frustrating when a user has a wonderful item to sell. Just a thought, but it might be a good idea for FPN to have a consolidated store for its members selling items, just to get transactions through, instead of all the back n forth email to get the payment done.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

I have bought these products twice and used Paypal. Hope all is OK as he has a fantastic product that is very good value. Please let us know when contact is made so we know all is well.

• 3 weeks later...

I have bought these products twice and used Paypal. Hope all is OK as he has a fantastic product that is very good value. Please let us know when contact is made so we know all is well.

^Bump; still no contact; hope he is alright. I really liked the look of that pen case!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone manage to find Juan? Worried about him. Use his case everyday and love it.

SWMBO snagged one of the two I ordered back several months ago. I need more. Juan if you're out there let us hear from you, or anyone who may have contact with him. Jim

I sent multiple emails through Flickr, GMail and PM, with no reply. The pen case looks really nice and would have really liked one; however, I've moved on regarding the leather cover and will eventually purchase one from InkLeaf.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia