Swapping Dip Nibs Into Noodlers Flex Pen

indigirl

I read in one of the Noodlers pen threads that people were putting Gillot 303 dip nibs in. I tried it & it writes like a dream for about a sentence before the nib somehow wiggles apart from the feed, & then it doesn't start well after I push them back together... so I have verrry inky fingers now from pushing them back together, & then tapping on the pen to get the flow going again sometimes results in a bit of ink splatter... :rolleyes: not really a problem for casual writing but if anybody has tips on proper setting of the Gillot nib w/ the Noodlers feed I'm all ears!

I tried to stick an old Esterbrook dip nib in but it was the wrong size. I have not yet gone through all my dip nibs to see if there is a Cinderella shoe match :cloud9:

What dip nibs have y'all tried in this pen? I'd like to know which nibs fit well with the feed & how they're writing for you.

This is fun! :bunny01:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• indigirl

• Inknstuff

• Basset

• kirtar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Keep at it with the 303; it will fit. You might want to have the feeder deep into the pen (more ink), and the tip of the nib closer to the tip of the feed (easier flow, albeit with somewhat less flex).

I've also tried the Gillott 604 with good results. Here's an example. Sorry for blurry cell phone pic, but it makes the point.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/julioathompson/0617011558.jpg

Right now I use one of my 2 (clear plastic) Noodler's flex pens to house a nice Waterman #2 nib that was orphaned previously. If only Nathan made the pens a little fatter...

Thanks Basset! Do you think you could post a photo of how you have your nib & feed in the pen? Pretty please? :)

Thanks Basset! Do you think you could post a photo of how you have your nib & feed in the pen? Pretty please? :)

Can't do it for a while, sorry.

Can't do it for a while, sorry.

Thanks all the same... I will mess around w/ it following your advice... :thumbup:

What other nibs work? In particular, do any of the current Brause nibs work?

Pelikan m200 F nib - Noodler's Midway Blue

TWSBI Diamond 530 EF nib - Noodler's X-Feather

Pilot Decimo F nib - Noodler's North African Violet

I have fitted dip pen nibs to Chinese pens by sitting the original nib on the new one, then use a marking pen to colour all areas not cover by the original nib, and use a Dremel to remove the excess metal, holding the nib in my hand by the tip to make sure it doesn't get too hot.

Sand the thickness of the metal going into the section to match the original.

That way any nib with a matching curvature can be used for any pen.

Sounds like it takes longer than it does, my first one took less than 5 minutes.

kirtar, I don't have any Brause nibs to try, so hopefully somebody else will chime in.

GeeBee, wow, that sounds cool, except I don't have a Dremel :rolleyes:

I messed around with various positions of the 303 & feed, but kept having the same problem with the space appearing between nib & feed, finally gave up & stuck the original nib back in. :glare:

post-72632-0-86554400-1309140913.jpgI just got my noodler's flex pen a few days ago and liked it but thought that it was a little stiff. Having read the threads about changing the nib, I tried a Hunt 99 and found that it worked pretty well. I don't have a Gillot 303 but will try that too. I am very new to this and also not a calligrapher so I hope the picture turns out:) Edited by Inknstuff

I've only tried using a Principal EF on my Noodler's flex (Ivory Darkness). To be honest, I was a little underwhelmed. The pen wrote great, but that was because of the Principal EF nib (which is an awesome nib!). I did not have issues with the nib coming loose, but the ink would not flow steadily and I would have to twist the blind cap to get the piston to push more ink into the feed frequently. I guess if i was not minded to carry a traveling inkwell or ink supply with me, this would have been a satisfactory solution to finding or having a supply of ink on the go. It sounds good on paper, but I was a little disappointed that I could not uncap the pen and just start writing immediately and had to charge the feed first.

Be advised, the nib will rust fairly quickly because of the constant contact with moisture. When i use a normal nib holder, I usually remove the nib and wipe it down after each use, thereby prolonging the life of the nib for me.

FN01.jpg

FN02.jpg

That's about all i can think of to share. Hope some of it was useful. :)

I have fitted dip pen nibs to Chinese pens by sitting the original nib on the new one, then use a marking pen to colour all areas not cover by the original nib, and use a Dremel to remove the excess metal, holding the nib in my hand by the tip to make sure it doesn't get too hot.

Sand the thickness of the metal going into the section to match the original.

That way any nib with a matching curvature can be used for any pen.

Sounds like it takes longer than it does, my first one took less than 5 minutes.

I do the same, using a Dremel and it works very well.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

post-72632-0-86554400-1309140913.jpgI just got my noodler's flex pen a few days ago and liked it but thought that it was a little stiff. Having read the threads about changing the nib, I tried a Hunt 99 and found that it worked pretty well. I don't have a Gillot 303 but will try that too. I am very new to this and also not a calligrapher so I hope the picture turns out:)

Does the hunt 99 go in without 'dremeling'?

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

post-72632-0-86554400-1309140913.jpgI just got my noodler's flex pen a few days ago and liked it but thought that it was a little stiff. Having read the threads about changing the nib, I tried a Hunt 99 and found that it worked pretty well. I don't have a Gillot 303 but will try that too. I am very new to this and also not a calligrapher so I hope the picture turns out:)

Beautiful! Thanks for posting that... I will have to hunt down a Hunt ;)

Beautiful! Thanks for posting that... I will have to hunt down a Hunt ;)

Yes! The Hunt 99 fit without alteration. Today, I cut down a D. Leonardt EF principle sanded the edges and it worked too. Neither one is perfect. They both fit father away from the feed than I would like. Once the ink covers the feed I have to get them started by dipping the nib in water, but once started they seem to be very happy and flow very well. I used Kung te Cheng (my current favorite ink:) today and it worked great.

I tried a Gillott 303 today with Kung te Cheng. It fit perfectly without modification. I didn't have a any problems with flow or railroading. I placed the nib so the feed tip is even with the top of the hole in the nib. Bassett is right, this is the best one so far:)

I tried a Gillott 303 today with Kung te Cheng. It fit perfectly without modification. I didn't have a any problems with flow or railroading. I placed the nib so the feed tip is even with the top of the hole in the nib. Bassett is right, this is the best one so far:)

Thanks for the details, I will try again! :unsure:

• 1 month later...

So, following up, here we have AltecGreen's most excellent Noodlers/Gillott hack, although "hack" does not quite seem like the best word choice in this case. :cloud9: He had to cut the nib down, modify the feed, all kinds of advanced moves... :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5992269249_f3e90486ce.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photos... here is the pen although I don't know how much you can really see:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6131/5992269245_0907a6a627.jpg

The pen is still not the best starter but that seems to come with the Noodlers territory. Who cares with great flex & hairlines like this, no dipping necessary! I can hardly wait to try shading inks in this pen... :bunny01: Just got this in my hot little hands today (imagine 2 FPNers sitting in a bakery with no decent paper in sight... we were writing on a newspaper :sick: ) so will report more as I play with it...

Massive thanks to my pen benefactor! :notworthy1: :cloud9:

Wow, the silence in here is deafening :unsure:

Anyway, I wrote a letter with the pen using Herbin Poussiere de Lune. (Hope my penpal doesn't mind my sharing an excerpt w/ everybody! :meow: ) As you can see from the occasional railroading, I still have some flow issues. I have resorted to a little twist of the piston to flood the feed whenever it runs dry. So, again, not perfect, but much better (for impatient me, anyway) than dipping into an inkwell constantly. I'm having a great time with this pen! :cloud9:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6007/6003149902_06be3577f2.jpg

• 1 year later...