Cross Ballpoint Pen Disassembly & Cleaning

GarryR

Hi Folks,

A newbie question for sure, but I haven't found an answer in my searches thus far. My Cross gold ballpoint Century (mid '70s) twist mechanism is jammed, and I've no idea how to disassemble and repair it. I'm afraid to sent it to Cross, as it has sentimental value, and I don't want them replacing it with a new one.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Many thanks,

Garry

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WriteAway

• GarryR

• Chthulhu

• rminj

I don't know if this is what has happened in your case, but...

Older Cross twist ballpoints are known to seize up if not used regularly. I have some on the verge of this happening, and only by twisting regularly can I keep them operating, and not smoothly at that. I believe the "grease" (or whatever lubricant used) simply dries up.

NOTE: I've never done this with my pens, but I wonder if some penetrating lubricant, like spray lithium grease, could be used to infuse the mechanism without removing it from the pen body. What effect this might have on the mechanism or finish of the pen, I don't know. I treasure my affected pens too much to take the risk of trying this, but it might be an option you are willing to try.

Search FPN under "Cross ballpoint repair" or similar terms to see if you can locate earlier threads on this for more input. One user tried some type of alcohol to loosen his pen, but I don't believe that is a good lubricant, IMO. If Cross has an answer to this issue, it's a well-kept secret.

Edited by WriteAway

That makes sense, as the pen in question hasn't been touched in decades. Do you have any idea how to disassemble these pens? I've wondered in the past whether the front tip of the pen screws off, as it is a separate piece. Meanwhile, I'll keep searching.

Thank you, Write Away, for your quick and thoughtful response!

Garry

Glad to provide some information, Garry...

I believe the twist workings are press-fit into the barrel of the pen, but I've never tried to take mine apart so I can't offer any guidance in disassembly for you. I've often wished some independent pen restorer would develop and offer a technique to fix these pens, but have not heard of any offering such a service.

I mean, if the pen is useless now, you could try alcohol (please check the past threads as to whether it was denatured or whatever alcohol used). It was said to free it up. But there would be no lubricant left inside, so I don't know what long-term effect it would have.

We should start calling this "Cross Syndrome"! LOL! If I had some junk pens myself, I'd try to develop a safe technique and offer it like other restorers do for other brands online. But for now, your only options are risk doing something yourself or by sending it to Cross. Or if you can get the tip extended, use it with a holder as a desk pen. Good luck!

Edited by WriteAway

I've had some success loosening stiff Cross-type mechanisms with a small droplet of 3-In-One oil applied between the shell of the mechanism and the threaded carrier that moves the refill: with the cap and refill removed, apply the oil to the inner wall of the shell so that it runs down between the shell and the threaded carrier, give it a "thermometer shake" to send the oil down, then work the mechanism for a minute or two.

I've never had one that was completely immovable, though.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

I actually had an older one come apart, the entire inside mechanism came up the top of the pen.

The twist mechanism inside is actually a large spiral groove or thread. I was really surprised

how coarse the thread/screw was...maybe 3 twist to it if that. It had a black grease in it (graphite?).

I pushed the mechanism back in and my wife has been using the pen so I'm not sure I can go disassembling it

again..

I agree with the above posts...the twist mechanism appears pressed into the pen body..it doesn't seem to

screw together. In theory one should be able to grab outside body with one hand and the silver refill

area with the other and pull it apart. But I don't think the above pen I have is as solidly together

now as a new pen.

I just cleaned one up. Its my father -in-law's pen. The ink had come out and had gummed up everything. I used a little alcohol to loosen it up and it finally worked loose. I still need to buy a refill for it so I have not put it back together yet. I did try the twist mechanism just now and it is still rough on the last bit where the pen point finally is in the fully extended position. not quite sure what could be used to loosen it up some more.

I've had some success loosening stiff Cross-type mechanisms with a small droplet of 3-In-One oil applied between the shell of the mechanism and the threaded carrier that moves the refill: with the cap and refill removed, apply the oil to the inner wall of the shell so that it runs down between the shell and the threaded carrier, give it a "thermometer shake" to send the oil down, then work the mechanism for a minute or two.

I've never had one that was completely immovable, though.

I never thought of using that! DOH! :embarrassed_smile: Great idea, Mike! That does not seem to offer any harmful issues other substances might have, except for an oily residue if too much is used.

Hubert

http://www.styloforum.com/

Thanks for a very interesting topic! I have an identical problem with a gold-filled Cross ballpoint pen, which got stuck through non-use, fortunately with the refill down. Will be trying some of the suggestions forwarded and see how things go.

Best regards,

Mario

I never thought of using that! DOH! :embarrassed_smile: Great idea, Mike! That does not seem to offer any harmful issues other substances might have, except for an oily residue if too much is used.

Hubert

http://www.styloforum.com/

A silicone oil would probably be even safer, but I didn't have any on hand at the time. Now I could capture a bit that's separated from my tubes of silicone grease. :-)

Mike Hungerford

Wow, thank you all for the great suggestions. I had a feeling that the mechanism was press-fit into the body, and I am reluctant to take a pair of pliers to the thing, as I am QUITE sure I would ruin it. I will give the 3 in 1 oil a try, and if that doesn't do it, then denatured alcohol, perhaps followed with oil or silicone grease. I will post with my results.

Thanks very much, everyone!

Garry

Garry, the problem lies in getting grease to where it's most needed. I suggest sticking with the oil as it's easy enough to reapply occasionally, and won't wash the lubricants out as solvents would.

Mike Hungerford

Success!!

Oil didn't do it, nor did denatured alcohol. What finally worked was a shot of spray penetrating lubricant, into the inside of the mechanism. I let it sit for a while, then tried it again, felt the mechanism give a little, kept at it, and now it's working like a champ. I then put a couple of drops of oil in the mechanism, as I'm sure I washed it all out earlier.

Thanks for your help everyone. Jeez, I'm feeling triumphant here, and it's just a stupid pen. Oh wait, look who I'm talking to...

Thanks again folks,

Garry

I have "awakened" a dozen or so "frozen" older but new or mint Cross Century ballpoint pens in the past year. 90% success by WARMING the pen with hot water under the kitchen tap, being careful to NOT get water into the pen, so watch carefully and keep the water on low. The metal heats up quickly and safely and once I get the first turn, I SLOWLY work it back to operation.

For the other 10%, I'll try a penetrating oil, WD-40 I guess.

mm

Once the pens are "freed", there is still the need for finding the most suitable lubricant that will penetrate the mechanism and remain in the works for at least a moderate period of time. So far, we've had 3-in-1 oil, silicone oil and spray lithium grease suggested. Maybe a question to Cross repair for their recommended lubricant would get a definitive answer. :ltcapd:

Lithium grease lasts very long under conditions much more harsh than what your typical pen will endure.

Wouldn't that make it the ideal lubricant to use, perhaps?