Montblanc 149 Review

Malcy

I, like many others have always aspired to the ownership of a Montblanc 149. The iconic status of this pen together with very positive experiences of a MB 234½ and a MB 3-42G meant that when I saw an example at a very good price, I decided to buy it. The pen duly arrived and I was delighted to see that it was in superb condition, only to be disappointed when I found that it had great trouble drawing up ink. Clearly there was an issue with the piston mechanism. Before it went for service, I dated the pen to mid-late 1980s.

Well, a visit to Montblanc service and the pen returned as good as new. To clarify, it was mostly new! Only the cap and the nib and possibly the piston knob are original, everything else has been replaced - barrel, piston assembly and feed.

DSC02016.jpg

The MB 149 is a classic black and gold trim high end German fountain pen design. What makes it stand out are the size and proportions. This is definitely what I would call an oversize pen. The length is a good half centimetre or more longer than the other largish pens that I have but what stands out is the width. As one of my students said 'Why is it so fat?'. With the cap on the proportions are good. With the cap off, I think that it looks a bit fat as well. I would not expect a top end pen to be light weight and the MB 149 is not. It has a nice amount of heft to it but is not over heavy and posting the cap does not seem to upset the balance. Where I do have a problem is the width of the section. I don't like thin pens but the MB 149 is too wide for comfort, giving me a cramp with extended use.

DSC02013.jpg

I can't fault the build quality, everything is well made as it should be on a flagship pen. Even the 1980's parts only show up micro scratches under magnification and there is absolutely no brassing. I would be a bit upset if a £500+ pen deteriorated rapidly with some use, so the 149 passes muster in this area. I don't precisely know why the filler mechanism became faulty but I suspect that it was the piston seal that was worn. Leaks into of ink the cap had stained the section but both parts have been replaced as mentioned earlier. It has to be said that while MB service did a good job, there was not the choice to send the pen anywhere else as they do not sell spare parts.

DSC02019.jpg

The MB 149 is equipped with the largest nib that I have seen on any pen, a size 9 nib. This 80s nib is a broad and is two tone 14K gold. I prefer broad or wider nibs and was happy to see this one but after using it does nothing to excite me. The nib is pretty stiff and has little in the way of line variation. The nib writes well, delivering a smooth wet line but this is not enough as I like at least some springiness and line variation.

DSC02009.jpg

As mentioned above, the MB 149 is a piston filler and is just as easy to use as any other piston filler, so it gets some brownie points here. The only doubt that I have is that the size of the nib demands a good depth of ink in the bottle to cover the end of the section for filling.

In conclusion, I am not entirely happy with my purchase. The MB 149 is a fine pen but it is just not for me for two reasons. Firstly, I find the wide section uncomfortable to use and secondly the nib is too stiff and unresponsive. Other than that, this is a fine writing instrument but I think that it is grossly over priced when new. I found a bargain but it would never be a new purchase for me. I have to enjoy using a pen, looking at it gather dust is not for me. So I will be selling it on at some point so that it can find a more appreciative home. :)

Scores:

Appearance & Design 8/10

Construction & Quality 8/10

Weight & Dimensions 6/10

Nib & Performance 5/10

Filling System & Maintenance 7/10

Cost & Value 2/10

Final score 36/60

Edited by Malcy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malcy

• Brian

• MidnightBlue

• pkoko

Just couple of comments:

1- Weight & dimensions-- If the MB 149 is too big or thick for you; then you can always use the MB 146 or 144. IMHO, only the ergonomics of a pen like the grip or weight should affect that score. I also find heavy pens not to be very comfortable and lighter is better.

2- Nib-- you took points off because the nib wasn't flexible or had any line variation? This is how this nib was supposed to work. It is supposed to write consistent smooth lines without any skipping or blotting. The MB 149 nib also has some of best looking aesthetics & design. 5/10 is too low of a score for me.

3- Filling system-- The pens holds good amount of ink and has a smooth piston; It is very easy pen to clean as well. So what does it need to improve upon to earn a perfect score?

Edited by pkoko

I think of my FPs as my children.

We share the same sentiments. OK, but underwhelming and a grossly over rated pen. A nice objective opinion is indeed refreshing. Thanks. Try Japanese and Italian and fall into cotton..........

Malcy, you are either up late on the east coast or you're in a different time zone. Like your post and objective viewpoint. I wonder how many of us who like the iconic 149 do so because of its historical importance or because they just really like it for the purity of the writing experience? I actually do like mine for its great feel in hand, big dimensions, good writing control and inkflow, and piston filler allowing it to commune with its user. It helps too that I love MB B, OBB, and XF points as they are more like paintbrushes to me...but then again maybe I have already been afflicted. Thanks for the review.

"allowing it to commune with the user"??????????I don't know what precious resin means either, but can you explain what you meant????Thanks.

owning 6 MB149s I find these pens better than viscontis, auroras, deltas, ferrari da varese, sailors and dani trios. But to each his own experience and of course the mileage may vary

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

dear friends,

everybody is entitled to his opinion and the o p may have his own reasons which may not coincide with the opinions of others here. it is unfortunate that on this board whenever a post appears against a revered model like parker 51, mb 149 etc. there is a flurry of members who land up in defence of those models with their own bag and baggage.

let us simply take off our hats, bow to the opinion of others and silently go about with our own business, pls.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

Great review. Spoken from a totally honest and unbiased point of view. You were just let down by an over rated pen. £600 for me is too much for a plastic pen.

Try a Visconti.

edited for spelling.

Edited by lewis

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Thanks for the thoughtful replies to my review.

Some clarification of a few points made:

Just couple of comments:

1- Weight & dimensions-- If the MB 149 is too big or thick for you; then you can always use the MB 146 or 144. IMHO, only the ergonomics of a pen like the grip or weight should affect that score. I also find heavy pens not to be very comfortable and lighter is better.

2- Nib-- you took points off because the nib wasn't flexible or had any line variation? This is how this nib was supposed to work. It is supposed to write consistent smooth lines without any skipping or blotting. The MB 149 nib also has some of best looking aesthetics & design. 5/10 is too low of a score for me.

3- Filling system-- The pens holds good amount of ink and has a smooth piston; It is very easy pen to clean as well. So what does it need to improve upon to earn a perfect score?

1. Yes, the 146 would probably be the ideal size for me. It's not the length or weight but the section width that I find too much.

2. I scored the nib down because this is the most important part of the pen for me. For a pen in this league, I expect something more than smooth without skips and blobs, a £14 Lamy Safari does that well. It just doesn't feel special in use.

3.The filling system and maintenance score was marked down because of the lack of choice when repair is needed. Any repairs that require spare parts have to be done through MB service (at least in this neck of the woods).

I hope that this answers your points.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies to my review.

Some clarification of a few points made:

Just couple of comments:

1. Yes, the 146 would probably be the ideal size for me. It's not the length or weight but the section width that I find too much.

2. I scored the nib down because this is the most important part of the pen for me. For a pen in this league, I expect something more than smooth without skips and blobs, a £14 Lamy Safari does that well. It just doesn't feel special in use.

3.The filling system and maintenance score was marked down because of the lack of choice when repair is needed. Any repairs that require spare parts have to be done through MB service (at least in this neck of the woods).

I hope that this answers your points.

Thanks for responding back. I didn't mean to sound too critical or harsh; I just wanted to know more reasons for your scores. About the Nib; IMHO, Nibs are the most important part of a FP. So I agree that the nib shouldn't have a perfect score unless it had something special like flex, line variation, or style. You can see it on my own reviews (I am soo behind on writing new ones :embarrassed_smile: ). But the nib grade should be based on how comfortable, effortless, and enjoyable the writing experience. As you see from my reviews template. http://www.writinginstrumentreviews.com/template.html

Writing performance (x/35):

How well does this writing instrument write? Are the writing clear and smooth? Is there any smearing? How thin/thick the line? Is it constant? How much pressure is needed to write? Is there any skipping/ ink flow problems?

I think of my FPs as my children.

Thanks for a nice honest review. Try using it for a few more weeks and you might start enjoying the pen a bit more with respect to size and feel.

Good luck.

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link

Thank you for the review and sharing your experience, excellent photography!

I have found that the 149s fit my hand very well, hence, I have several and I find that the 14C marked nibs are quite responsive with springiness and line variation. The 14K and 18K marked nibs are on the rigid side.

I also find that the 149s with the plastic filling threads feel more balanced and comfortable for me.

Due to its size, the 149 may not suit everyone, try to find an older 146 with a 14C nib and curved section, superb ergonomics.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

This is, um, a refreshing review of the 149.

There are too many reviews of this icon (and other MBs models) by reviewers in awe of the pen and simply expressing their already biased view. Not many have approached from an objective point of view as this one.

(Some of) the past reviewers of this pen alrady express their biasness from the very first paragraph - you already know their conclusion. Admitedly some where actually PERSONAL reviews, but I'd say save those to your personal blogs. Nice one, Malcy.

I'm not saying I totally agree with Malcy, but you don't dare knock the 149 without the risk of getting lynched by the MB mob.

Refreshing.

edit - spelling corrected

Edited by floydee1

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

Fear not, the MB mob will not lynch anyone! :roflmho:

An honest review indeed - hats off to the OP for that. I must admit, I am biased towards any MB because I like the brand, and that would probably influence my objectivity - brand loyalty can be strong enough to bend the truth a little... :embarrassed_smile: I have also had brand new pens that did not write perfectly out of the box. However, after some initial rinsing and sometimes a bit of nib adjustment, every single one of them writes fabulously. Without exception, all of them.

My MB's, and the 149's in particular, are among my best writers, looks/feel/emotions aside, and I use them daily.

Rating on the cost factor, however, is very subjective - on a tight budget, you may expect to get more for less. When one is fortunate enough to have a less restricted budget, it matters less, if you want the pen you buy it anyway, and it would not later influence your expectations of the pen.

I still hope you'll give it a chance, and if the "relationship" does not work, that you will find something you really like in its place. :thumbup:

Edit: spelling...this damn ipad screen... :headsmack:

Edited by rockspyder

Thanks for the candid impressions. I had the exact same feeling with my first MB 149. I sold it. Time passed. I started missing it. Bought it again. Never left my desk since then. May I suggest you to get a used MB 146? I find it very convenient in all respect.

I had expected some negativity, considering the topic but the replies have been very refreshing, thanks. :)

Here are some photos of the case and MB repair box.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Luminarium/DSC02024.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Luminarium/DSC02026.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Luminarium/DSC02022.jpg

Edited by Malcy

I don't think anyone's been harsh or really negative towards your review, since you didn't really say anything that was unfair - you don't like large sections and stiff nibs (which account for 99% of stock modern nibs) or repairs that require parts from the manufacture. Fair enough. :thumbup:

Edited by Blade Runner

Honesty should be a fundamental of any review so this is very welcome. We all tend to approach these things from different points of view according to what appeals to us. For some it is the history that matters, for others build quality and aesthetics or, perhaps, brand loyalty. I suppose most people would combine some or all of these aspects when considering a pen, or, at least, most enthusiasts would.

At the end of the day, for a writing instrument, what matters is how it feels in the hand and performs on the page. Each one of us experiences this differently often with results that seem at odds with the "form book" (e.g. from this perspective one of my best writing pens is a "cheapie" Lamy 99 pistonfiller with the nicest little gold nib, but I digress). As ever, debate is healthy and further informs the review process.

So, thanks for a great review!

"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

<br />&quot;allowing it to commune with the user&quot;??????????I don't know what precious resin means either, but can you explain what you meant????Thanks.<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Hope u found that humorous. What that meant was that the act of using the piston filler to ink the pen is like an act of communion one has with one's pen to ink it. Regardless, this could be the case for any filling system. <br /><br />"Precious resin" is the description of plastic that was invented by the MB marketing people sometime, I think, in the late 1980s or early 1990s. Someone here should know. It has been canon fodder for discussion for some time with no signs of ever letting up. Best regards.

++To krishna's comment. Point taken.

Edited by Brian

<br />&quot;allowing it to commune with the user&quot;??????????I don't know what precious resin means either, but can you explain what you meant????Thanks.<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Hope u found that humorous. What that meant was that the act of using the piston filler to ink the pen is like an act of communion one has with one's pen to ink it. Regardless, this could be the case for any filling system. <br /><br />"Precious resin" is the description of plastic that was invented by the MB marketing people sometime, I think, in the late 1980s or early 1990s. Someone here should know. It has been canon fodder for discussion for some time with no signs of ever letting up. Best regards.

++To krishna's comment. Point taken.

thank you.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.