Parker Duofold Black Mosaic

rogerico

Hi from Catalonia! This is my first review and I'll try to do my best.

I'd like to say some things about my Parker Dufold Black Mosaic, which was my first pen after the Montblanc's era (my first four pens were all Montblanc until I decided to try another brand). After a period of looking for a good pen, I decided to by a Parker for a sentimental reason. In the shop I asked for a Duofold Check Centennial, but then I saw the Black Mosaic model and I fell in love with it. The pen had a Medium nib. As I preferred the Extra fine, the seller changed it without problem, although I didn't know that it was a limited edition.

1. Appearance & Design: 8/10 This model is not ostentatious, but I find it very modern and classic at the same time, always beautiful.

post-33908-099459300 1281536986.jpg

2. Construction & Quality: 6/10 It seems well manufactered and with a simple and durable construction. Nevertheless, one day while I was writing the tassie or derby of the cap fell down and I had to fix it with glue. I was disappointed because I never thought that could happen with a pen like that.

post-33908-035881100 1281536997.jpg

3. Weight & Dimensions: 9/10 For my hands the Centennial Duofold is perfect. It could be bigger, but is very confortable to write hours and hours without being tired. Well balanced, I use It always caped.

post-33908-049843400 1281537012.jpg

4. Nib & Performance: 7/10 As I have said, the original pen had a Medium nib. I asked the seller to change it for an Extra fine nib and I could try out three or four nibs. I am pleased with the one I chose. It never leaks (I was afraid it could leak because all my MB leak), it always writes and has a good flush of ink. The only problem is that is a bit scratchy. But I know that an Extra fine nib may be a little scratchy and I prefer that than a Medium nib or a Fine nib which normally will write wider than It should be for me.

post-33908-058960700 1281537031.jpg

5. Filling System & Maintenance: 8/10 Simple: cartridge or converter. I like de piston filler pens, but I must recognize that the big cartrigde are very confortable, clean and easy to use. The pen is also easy to clean and maintain.

6. Cost & Value: 6/10 I bought the pen in Toulouse (France) and I paid for it 555 €, which I think it is too much, especially because I didn't know it was a limited edition. So, as I changed the original nib, the pen lost a big part of his value.

post-33908-012344900 1281537022.jpg

7. Conclusion: Final score 7/10 The Parker Duofold Black Mosaic is a good pen. I write with it every day and I love his design. For me it is a very good writer and I'm convinced that the Duofold pens are good writes and justify their fame. It is not perfect: too expensive and with a little problem about construction (the cap). I would probably buy a Duofold again, but perhaps I'd try a regular edition, cheeper and as well done as the Mosaic. So I recommend the Duofold pens, not that one.

Edited by rogerico

Roger

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerico

• significantpass

• breaker

• revbyrd1

Thank you for a good review.

I have been using Duofold Centennials since Parker started making them (again?) in 1989. I think the size and weight of the pen model is excellent, and the writing qualities of the model are equally good. I have found that the Duofold italic nibs are some of the best factory italics I have seen, so most of my Centennials have them. I have two LE's with M nibs that also write flawlessly. I cannot speak to the quality of the EF or F nibs, since I have none of either.

I have a good dozen Centennials that I have accumulated over the years. I have heard some complaints about the material being fragile, but I have never had any problems with any of mine. Two of my tassies also fell off. I glued one back in place. The other just vanished.

As for the pen being an LE, I think the Centennials Mosaics were limited production runs rather than true LE's. I also think the price was kind of stiff, but I have found the prices of the Mosaics to be generally high. For that reason I have not bought one myself. But the main thing is whether you are enjoying the pen.

Thanks for the review. That's quite a good looking pen!

You're from Catalunya? Do you watch soccer? I'm a Barca fan! :P

They are nice pens - I have 16 of them (incl. BP, which I find I like the retro styling of).

I will keep an eye on the metal cap 'jewels' on mine - haven't had one try to escape yet. :mellow:

I almost did the same thing you did and swapped out a special nib (in that case a pinstripe model) before I realized that it was different from the regular Centennials. I sent it off to Richard Binder to be customized - that might be an option for you next time. His nibs will never be scratchy like yours. I had one customized to an XXF and it still isn't scratchy!

Too bad about the price! That is more than twice what I paid for a green mosaic, from ebay seller lewertowski in France. I commend him to you as being very reliable and closer to you than most sellers.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

But the main thing is whether you are enjoying the pen.

It's true, that's the main thing, and I must say that I'm enjoying de pen very much.

Roger

Yes, I'm from Catalunya, and I'm also a Barça fan. How could be otherwise!

Roger

They are nice pens - I have 16 of them (incl. BP, which I find I like the retro styling of).

I will keep an eye on the metal cap 'jewels' on mine - haven't had one try to escape yet. :mellow:

I almost did the same thing you did and swapped out a special nib (in that case a pinstripe model) before I realized that it was different from the regular Centennials. I sent it off to Richard Binder to be customized - that might be an option for you next time. His nibs will never be scratchy like yours. I had one customized to an XXF and it still isn't scratchy!

Too bad about the price! That is more than twice what I paid for a green mosaic, from ebay seller lewertowski in France. I commend him to you as being very reliable and closer to you than most sellers.

Thanks for the imformation.

Roger

You could be an Espanyol fan! :angry:

2. Construction & Quality: 6/10 It seems well manufactered and with a simple and durable construction. Nevertheless, one day while I was writing the tassie or derby of the cap fell down and I had to fix it with glue. I was disappointed because I never thought that could happen with a pen like that.

post-33908-035881100 1281536997.jpg

I have a Parker TRUE BLUE which I plan to review here on The FPN so I don't want to go into too much detail. Just a quick question: what is the Tassie? I just want to know, so I can keep an eye out, to make sure mine doesn't come loose, pop off, and fall into oblivion.

Thanks-

Love,

Joe

Thanks for the review! Nice pen!

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Hi from Catalonia! This is my first review and I'll try to do my best.

Hello from Canada! For your first review, that was great.

Thank-you for the nice pics as well.

To "josephfabry" ....never mind what tassie's are, what is soccer?

Inked

I agree with your review. I have a blue mosaic and appreciate its quality durability. The price was indeed high, yet I found one used in great condition. I didn't know that factory italic nibs were available, however . . . that would be perfect!

You could be an Espanyol fan! :angry:

Yes, it's true: I could bé... but I'm not! Espanyol is the rival!

Roger

I have a Parker TRUE BLUE which I plan to review here on The FPN so I don't want to go into too much detail. Just a quick question: what is the Tassie? I just want to know, so I can keep an eye out, to make sure mine doesn't come loose, pop off, and fall into oblivion.

Thanks-

Love,

Joe

Well, I mean the piece at the top of the cap. Here you have a clip.post-33908-008700500 1281718461.jpg

Roger

First congrat to Catalonia and Spain for the first World Cup. Was Sara Carbonero an inspiration to win? :clap1:

Thanks for your sincerity. Great review! Amazing pen!

Edited by fabrimedeiros

Sorry for your difficulties, but it is still a beautiful pen. I have several Duofolds, but they are in my collection as pens that I have not inked. There are several more that I am looking to add to my pen case.

I appreciate the depth of your review.

Thank you.

Peace,

J. Kenneth Byrd, Jr.

(Kenny)

The Tar Heel State--GO HEELS!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Great pen Rogerico. I know you have since added a KoP to your collection and from that review, the KoP seems to rule supreme! Duofolds are great pens and I love the colour of this model. I have a Green Check Centennial and am hoping to add a True Blue (modern) to my collection shortly.

Nice review and good photo's - thanks.

Lewis

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Great pen Rogerico. I know you have since added a KoP to your collection and from that review, the KoP seems to rule supreme! Duofolds are great pens and I love the colour of this model. I have a Green Check Centennial and am hoping to add a True Blue (modern) to my collection shortly.

Nice review and good photo's - thanks.

Lewis

Thanks, Lewis. I think one day I'll buy a fine nib for this pen. I'm sure it will be less scratchy than the EF It has now. For now is the only problem with this pen, that I find lovely, well balanced and ready to write. Actually, I love all Duofolds, including the Check ones, True Blue, etc.

Edited by rogerico

Roger