• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Leslie J.

• KCat

• Stylo

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi NS,

Yay! One of my absolute favorite colours! The interesting bit about this ink is the shading characteristics. It goes from a light greyish blue, to proper blue to blue black and back again. This is an extremely lovely ink to use in flexible pens and with italic nibs.

Kind regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I like the vintage look of the Ottoman Azure. It's very slightly green tinted. Not a clear blue, but a colour with "character". One of my favourites.

Never lie to your dog.

Hi Leslie, KCat,

Just that mine isn't green. It is a blue! I sent KCat a sample, so she can compare it to hers. We'll have to see. :D

In the mean time:

http://fp.vandebilt.net/pics/ink48-04.jpg

Here are a couple of blues, including Noodler's Legal Blue (= Legal Lapis). Now if you tell me that has green in it, yes, I agree. But Ottoman Azure is clearly in between Waterman Blue Black and PR DC SS 2003, not only because the sample happens to be at that place, but because the colour fits there. And it has tremendous shading characteristics, which makes it harder to pinpoint, but that is the great charm of this ink at the same time. :D

Just my 2c.

Warm regards,

the Mad One

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hi Leslie, KCat,

Just that mine isn't green. It is a blue! I sent KCat a sample, so she can compare it to hers. We'll have to see. :D

Clarification:

I meant that Blue Suede is Green. My Ottoman Azure does have more of a green tint than yours or other samples I've seen. But I consider it a blue. I'm looking forward to a more direct comparison.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Though, KCat, my spouse says it has a green component that I do not see. :unsure:

--Roy

:bunny1:

i'm lost - are we talking about Ottoman Azure here?

Sometimes I find that when I write a page of all blues or greens or whatever, I'm surprised by the differences and the range that they can span from purple-blues to green-blues and so on. I try not to do that too often as then I become more critical of a color than I would be normally.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Guest Denis Richard

Oh... I feel your pain Roy. I always see colors bluer than everyone else. It drives me crazy sometimes. I think the range of blue-greens is the most "polemic". It must be a range of color where human eyes vary greatly.

Hi Denis,

It must be a range of color where human eyes vary greatly.

Yes, the whole range, with the exception of the darkest black :lol: .

But, seriously, everybody sees colours differently, and by everybody I mean every single person out there, so ink colours with subtle or not so subtle shading will give problems. It is not just one plain single colour triplet from the colour picker.

People even see the same colour differently when the mood changes, and putting two different colours next to each other makes also for an interesting experience. Try yellow next to blue and try it again next to red. The brain just fools us.

Warm regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Again, with my superhuman colour-vision :P , Ottoman Azure, Legal Lapis and WMSS all have a noticeable green tint.

I do not have any colour "blindness", but the funny thing is, this is exactly the range where my husband has the most trouble. His is diagnosed, and it is the green, blue-green range that gives him the most trouble. That also means, he can't "see" the green tint in yellow paint, and can't tell one green paint from another, which is a problem as we are painting the main floor of our house green. He remains unconvinced while gazing at paint samples that are *clearly* different and unique in my eyes.

Never lie to your dog.

Hi Leslie,

I happen to have very acute colour vision too. I was diagnosed with all round colour vision, even in in the peripheral areas, where most people can't see colour. :D. Most people see colour in an area of about 140 degrees, if I am not mistaken, which is ok considering you see sharp over an area of about 50 degrees, and peripheral vision extends to about 180 degrees, I think, in most people (again not here, it is about 220 - 240 :D ; always said I am mad :D ). So, the remainder of the field of vision is in black & white, but you're not normally aware of it because you turn your head in the direction you want to see, and focusing is very fast.

Your husband sounds a little like my wife. Last year we were looking for some very subtly tinted wall paint. It was real fun :D .

Anyway, in my own samples of Ottoman Azure, written with medium and medium italic (1.1 mm) nibs, there is no green hue to be seen. Blue Black, some grey, yes, but no green.

I understand that some of he Noodler's colours require absolute minute quantities of chemicals in order to get the colour right, and that therefore some variation between batches of supposedly the same colour is very well possible. Who knows, maybe it is caused by this artefact of the manufacturing process.

Kind regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I wasn't going by the sample on the screen this time, I have all three of those inks. I'm wondering about the Ottoman Azure, because I have heard of some discrepancies. I got mine when it first came out. Maybe the recipe or different "lots" are slightly different. I haven't seen a written sample from somebody else to compare. (I can still detect it in that scan display though, relative to the other blues on the page.) Maybe I have a heightened sense of green? It is a muted colour. I can detect the grey or black in it too.

It is quite dark here now, and I'm having much more trouble now distinguishing between the colours. My vision in general is not good at night.

With the paints, I always go for colours that have a minute amount of black added. Otherwise I have real problems with adjusting to the brightness of a room. And yes, listening to my husband has produced some unfortunate choices in the past. It's hard to go wrong with greens, but it is definitely possible when we're talking paint colours, aside from personal preferences.

Edited by Leslie J.

Never lie to your dog.

Hi Leslie,

If you see any green cast it is very likely in the blurred areas outside the actual character delineations, and very likely it is a very light turquoisy colour. If you study the scan very carefully, you can indeed see some of that. Of course, to me turquoise is a blue tint :D . Furthermore, those blurry areas don't exist on the actual exemplar, so maybe it is just the scan that is a little misleading.

Also, you have to be very careful about putting colours next to each other. Everybody has slightly different sensitivities to colours, and generally slightly different understandings of the meaning of the "colour words", and on top of that the brain plays tricks on you as well, eg, the grey dots you see on the crossings between a field of black squares.

Oh, what was I trying to say here now? Oh, the scan, yes, may be a little deceptive. We'll have to wait till KCat receives my sample, I think.

Kind regards,

Wim

PS: sorry for the rambling, should really go to sleep, still up and flu too :lol:

the Mad Dutchman

Guest Denis Richard

You guys and gals were not kidding about the Turquish Blue :D

Beautiful !!! Wim, you're right, this ink gives the nicest shading I have seen yet.

I received four Noodler bottles today (Eel Blue, Navy, Midnight Blue, and O.A.). I tried everything in four different pens (I tried all of the four colors in each pen), and next thing you know, they are all filled with O.A.

I think this is gonna be it for a while.

I'll try to scan something tonight for extra comparison.

Hey Denis,

Please remind me to ask you to refrain from ever writing a hand written note to me. If your exemplar is something to go by, you seem to get carried a way a little, making it oh so slightly less readable.. :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Kind regards,

the Madman

the Mad Dutchman

You're right Wim. Plus, all I can make out is "Wahl All Metal Fountain Pen", over and over and over... I think he has a one-tracked mind maybe. :P

Never lie to your dog.

Hi Leslie,

I think Denis needs this single-minded focus while his lovely wife is absent... :lol:

He may succomb to buying even more pens otherwise :lol: :lol:

Kind regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Guest Denis Richard

Pretty scary insights of a bored mind, isn't it ? :lol:

Leslie, I think the words "nib", "flexible", "#4" and may be a few others should be somewhere there...

Let's say it is my personal variation of "Where's Waldo ?" :D

You're right Wim. Plus, all I can make out is "Wahl All Metal Fountain Pen", over and over and over...

I think he just spent some time in detention. :lol: