Montblanc Monte Rosa

tsunami31

I'm greatly reducing my pen collection. There are few Montblancs (when I was collecting they just seemed too expensive), but I did pick up a Monte Rosa from an antiques dealer last century. :)

I'll post photos tomorrow (they need cropping), but one thing is baffling me before I list the pen for sale: what would the filling system have been (there is none) ?

From the design, I'd say it is a late '60s/early '70s version, It has chrome trim and a gold-coloured semi-hooded fine nib and a series of translucent diamond shapes on the barrel for viewing the ink level, just above where the barrel screws off from the section, but there appears to be no filling system. It's well made for a 'student pen' and writes sweetly,

Other threads in this forum describe Monte Rosas as piston-fillers, but I can't see that being the case here. A converter/cartridge combo would make sense for the age of the pen, but not for the presence of the ink view 'windows'.

Anyone any idea ?

Thanks Richard

Regards Richard

Current users:

Striped Conklin Nozac (F/XF nib)

Tortoiseshell Sailor Magellan (F nib)

Grey Levenger Seas Sheaffer (F nib)

Delta Dolcevita (Stub nib)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tsunami31

• talkinghead

• penparadise

• jar

From the design, I'd say it is a late '60s/early '70s version, It has chrome trim and a gold-coloured semi-hooded fine nib and a series of translucent diamond shapes on the barrel for viewing the ink level, just above where the barrel screws off from the section, but there appears to be no filling system. It's well made for a 'student pen' and writes sweetly,

Thanks Richard

Hi Richard,

I had to look this up, but there were C/C fillers of the Monte Rosa Series. Per "Collectible Stars" Model 41P fits the bill from your description...made between 1961-67 Cartridge filler, with series of Diamond shaped "ink" view windows. Also, model 401PS made between '67-'70 were cartridge fillers but no Diamond shaped inkviews. Another difference is the 41P has a screw on cap/ the 401PS had a slip cap. Both models were semi-hooded also.

Hope that helps.

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

Thanks Richard

Hi Richard,

I had to look this up, but there were C/C fillers of the Monte Rosa Series. Per "Collectible Stars" Model 41P fits the bill from your description...made between 1961-67 Cartridge filler, with series of Diamond shaped "ink" view windows. Also, model 401PS made between '67-'70 were cartridge fillers but no Diamond shaped inkviews. Another difference is the 41P has a screw on cap/ the 401PS had a slip cap. Both models were semi-hooded also.

Hope that helps.

Rick

Rick ! ! * faints *

I'm used to informed answers to my questions on this Forum, but none have been so detailed and informative so far. Thank you !

I'll post the photos in a separate post, so you can confirm your assumption, but the 41P fits the bill, screw on cap and all.

2 questions:-

1) Where did you look this up ? Is there somewhere I should have gone to first before bothering people ?

2) What the hell is the point of the diamond ink view windows just above the section if it is a c/c filling system ?

Regards Richard

Regards Richard

Current users:

Photos, as promised:-

http://www.divshare.com/img/10398912-098.jpg

http://www.divshare.com/img/10398913-889.jpg

http://www.divshare.com/img/10398914-54a.jpg

Regards Richard

Regards Richard

Current users:

Rick ! ! * faints *

I'm used to informed answers to my questions on this Forum, but none have been so detailed and informative so far. Thank you !

I'll post the photos in a separate post, so you can confirm your assumption, but the 41P fits the bill, screw on cap and all.

1) Where did you look this up ? Is there somewhere I should have gone to first before bothering people ?

2) What the hell is the point of the diamond ink view windows just above the section if it is a c/c filling system ?

Regards Richard

It's a 41P Monte Rosa

1) My reference was "Collectible Stars" (MB pen from 1946-1979) by Jens Rosler. There are also some pens sites such as http://www.fountainpen.de where you can get some visual history too...but no worries about bothering people..that's what this forum is for! :thumbup:

2) From your more detailed pictures, the Inkview diamonds are right at the bottom of where a cartridge would sit..I guess you could tell if the cartridge was getting low through the diamond shaped windows when the pen is nib down.

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

Rick ! ! * faints *

Regards Richard

It's a 41P Monte Rosa

1) My reference was "Collectible Stars" (MB pen from 1946-1979) by Jens Rosler. There are also some pens sites such as http://www.fountainpen.de where you can get some visual history too...but no worries about bothering people..that's what this forum is for! :thumbup:

2) From your more detailed pictures, the Inkview diamonds are right at the bottom of where a cartridge would sit..I guess you could tell if the cartridge was getting low through the diamond shaped windows when the pen is nib down.

Rick

Rick,

Thanks, Not heard of the book (and I have so many - but not about MB), but had already checked out the website - not very helpful in this instance.

You could catch the cartridge JUST as the ink was running out, but I'm guessing the bottom of the converter would block the windows. Strange.

Regards Richard

Regards Richard

Current users:

BTW, I included the photo of where a converter/cartridge would fit because it did not seem very cartridge-friendly to me (and there is an internal screw thread), but then I know little about MB cartridges. Do they screw in ?

Regards Richard

Edited by tsunami31

Regards Richard

Current users:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to raise this again, but the purchaser of this pen is asking (quite reasonably) what cartridges fit this pen and (as you will have gathered) I don't know.

Any idea anyone, please ?

I did raise this in my last post. I can see an internal screw thread in the close-up photo, which points to a converter fitting, but as I said before it doesn't look cartridge friendly to me.

Are we sure this is a cartridge model ?

Regards Richard

Regards Richard

Current users:

Bump.

Would appreciate a MB expert's views.

Regards Richard

Current users:

I haven't read this thread befor. All your questions about the ink views and so on - it's very easy.

These Monte Rosa is not a cartridge pen and has never been one, it's a piston filler!!!

Axel

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006