REVIEW: Montblanc William Faulkner

QM2

http://queenmargot.com/Faulkner1.jpg

Montblanc William Faulkner

2007 Writers Edition

After a half a year without pen acquisitions of any kind, I received the Montblanc William Faulkner as a

Winter Holiday gift from my husband. Having gone without a new pen "for so long", I was even more

excited about the Faulkner than I would otherwise have been. My favourite Montblanc pens are those

with the classic "domed top" shape of the 1920s-1930s models, and the Faulkner is a somewhat more

modern version. Though I am not crazy for Faulkner as a writer, I recognise his historical significance

in American literature and I love the beauty of the pen in its own right.

http://queenmargot.com/Faulkner2.jpg

Looks and Design

The first thing that struck me about the Faulkner when I received the pen, was its resemblence to the

contact prints from the film negatives we had just developed. The silvery metal and the gray-brown

resin come together in a surprisingly warm and inviting manner, evoking the nostalgic look of vintage

black and white photographs.

http://queenmargot.com/Faulkner3.jpg

The resin portion of the pen is as difficult to describe as it is to capture on camera. Having seen

several of these pens, I will say that the colour does vary greatly. On some pens it is a flat brown, while

on others it is transluscent and swirly, with more of a green tone. The pen I received is the latter version,

which made me very happy as I love such unusual, murky shades. The colour of the resin on mine

resembles a dark khaki green, and is full of rich swirls and amber highlights.

The platinum finish metal overlay on the cap and barrel is horizontally ribbed - a texture that is visually

interesting and subtle to the touch. Montblanc refers to the design as a "ring structure" and it is meant

to echo the modernism of Faulkner's writing. Though I like the platinum finish, I would have preferred it

being sterling silver - I just like the latter material better.

http://queenmargot.com/Faulkner4.jpg

Weight, Balance, Comfort

Overall, the Faulkner is comfortable to hold and just the right size for my hand, but I do have some

comments about the weight and the section design.

I seldom complain about a pen being heavy, especially a Montblanc. But in case of the Faulkner I have

found that to be slightly so. Not so heavy that it is downright uncomfortable, but borderline. With the cap

posted, this is particularly the case, as the pen does become somewhat top heavy.

Another aspect of the design I find less than ideal for comfort, is the straight section with the metal ring

right next to the nib. I hold my pens very low and therefore prefer the more classic curved sections like

that of the Dostoyevsky. The presence of the metal ring right next to the nib also means that I cannot fill

this pen with Montblanc Blue-Black and other potentially corrosive inks.

http://queenmargot.com/Faulkner6.jpg

Nib

The Faulkner nib is, to my eye, one of the most beautiful of all the WE pens: It features a biplane flying

through clouds, which for some reason excites me beyond reason. So tiny, but so detailed! It seems that

this image is based on Faulkner's lesser-known novel Pylon, about a daredevil pilot (thanks, Falika). It

also reflect's Faulkner's own interest in aviation.

The nib on my Faulkner is a modified italic by Richard Binder (my husband brought it to a pen show earlier

in the year and had it done). It writes like a .5mm cursive italic, producing glorious line variation with a

slightly wet feel. It is perfectly adjusted to write super smoothly with my slanted handwriting, and it's a bit

scary that Richard Binder can adjust a pen in a way that perfectly suits my handwriting without my even

being there or giving him any instructions at this point. Not scary because he is psychic, but scary as a

testament of how many nibs he has ground for me at this point! But I am far form complaining, as I love

the perfect nib on this pen. The original nib was a "Fine".

Filling Mechanism

Piston! Works perfectly smoothly. That is all.

http://queenmargot.com/Faulkner5.jpg

Conclusions

The Faulkner has been in daily use since I received it, and it has reaffirmed my love of Montblanc domed

top designs, on which this pen is a conservative yet modern take.

Edited by QM2

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• Michael R.

• dandelion

• ygv

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the teriffic review.

I love my Faulkner too and I only wish it was a F nib.

Enjoy your Faulkuy :thumbup:

Respect to all

Great Review. I use my MB W.F. as a daily user, inked with Iroshizuku Brown ink.

The Weight and flow is great.

Enjoy your gift.

John

"Churn the Butter"

Thanks guys : )

Interesting that Classics find the weight fine; just goes to show that it's all about individual preferences and that perfect match between hand and pen.

Very good and helpful review...makes me more interested in this pen than before....

:)

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

I love your photos--I love that the background is your contact sheet(s)!

My Faulkner has the swirly highlights you described, which makes the brown resin much more interesting and visually appealing. I do not find the weight to be a problem, but I prefer heavier pens. Compared to the Verne, the Faulkner feels light!

Congrats on your beautiful pen. A lovely gift indeed, especially with the custom nib!

Beautiful photography. Also, thanks for that tidbit of information about corrosion and metal rings on the section.

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

thanks for that tidbit of information about corrosion and metal rings on the section.

Oh there were long dramatic discussions on this issue on FPN for a good part of last year : )

But basically, you don't want to be using MB Blue Black or any other iron gall ink on pens with non-gold nibs, or with metal rings on the section.

Or in Pelikan pens, which have metail inside the actual nib unit.

Tank you for a very interesting review. I also think your photography is beautiful!

Would like to recommend MBs Sepia ink, I think it would complement your Faulkner terrific!

Enjoy your pen!

Best,

Rob.

Yard-O-Led Viceroy Grand Victorian

Thanks to all for the comments on the photos. My husband and I both took them (as well as the "real" photos on which the pen is lying).

Rob, I own some MB Sepia, but for some reason it does not agree with most of the pens I own; comes out watery and dryish. Too bad, because I would love a nice sepia brown from MB.

Great review on a great pen, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Compared to the Verne, the Faulkner feels light!

Exactly my thought :lol:

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

I believe the reason there's an airplane on the nib is because of Faulkner's novel, Pylon, which deals with a troupe of stunt pilots. Great novel, set in New Orleans (though not called New Orleans).

Thanks for a pleasant review with great photos! I am also very fond of the Faulkner hybrid of modern/classic and dome/flattop. It is also one of the WE's that does the authour some justice - in my not-so-humble-opinion. The Faulkner is the WE that it believe is most likely that I would buy and your photos of it adds to that temptation - that is for sure.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

I believe the reason there's an airplane on the nib is because of Faulkner's novel, Pylon, which deals with a troupe of stunt pilots. Great novel, set in New Orleans (though not called New Orleans).

Possibly. According to the website though the plane is supposed to be a depiction of Faulkner's plane, and that flying was his other passion. You can really take it any way you want though.

DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Thanks, I hadn't read that one. Maybe I should give Faulkner the writer another chance.

I will change the info in the review, so that people reading it are properly informed.

Thanks for a pleasant review with great photos! I am also very fond of the Faulkner hybrid of modern/classic and dome/flattop. It is also one of the WE's that does the authour some justice - in my not-so-humble-opinion. The Faulkner is the WE that it believe is most likely that I would buy and your photos of it adds to that temptation - that is for sure.

Thanks dandelion; it would make a great addition to your collection!

I try to avoid your reviews, QM2. Our taste in pens is so similar, I know I'll always be tempted by your descriptions and photos. Obviously I had to peek!

I'm relieved that I seem to be past the acquisition phase (she says cautiously), and I really like your photos! I love the contact sheet as the background. Well done!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Very nice pen and reviewe. The metal work reminds me fondly of the vintage Skyline derbies.

I try to avoid your reviews, QM2. Our taste in pens is so similar, I know I'll always be tempted by your descriptions and photos. Obviously I had to peek!

I'm relieved that I seem to be past the acquisition phase (she says cautiously), and I really like your photos! I love the contact sheet as the background. Well done!

+1 on the clever idea with having the contact sheet as a background for the Faulkner. Forgot to say that. Also forgot to say that it is nice that you are back again.

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****