Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher

Viseguy

Just received my bottle of Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher (one of the Warden's line of inks) from Swisher Pens. Here are a first look and my initial impressions.

Edited to add: Coming out of this juicy broad nib, the color of BBW is a deep, rich blue. There is none of the "chalkiness" sometimes attributed to Noodler's bulletproof colors.

http://www.serve.com/ammaze/xfer/bbw.jpg

Edited by Viseguy

Viseguy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Viseguy

• Jake

• bluemagister

• blopplop

I'm not a blue ink kind of person but this might be the ink that pushes me towards a blue ink.

Check out my ink reviews.

Currently inked:

Pilot Vanishing Point - <font color=#000000> Hero Black </font color=#000000>

Hero 616 - <font color=#000000> Noodler's Blackest Black Old Manhattan </font color=#000000>

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to stop knocking Noodler's for not having any blues I really like (other than lighter color ones). This looks very promising indeed. I'll pick it up when I get the chance.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Bad Belted Kingfisher is at the top of my list for upcoming ink purchases. Thanks for the review.

There never was a body that give the undertaker a tip.

I ordered this ink last week from Swisher (It'll probably be in later today or tomorrow). My FAVORITE ink is Waterman Blue Black, but I need a permanant ink for my daily usage at work, so I'm always on the look out for a good looking "bulletproff" blue-black (or "dark blue" which to me is the same as "blue black"). So far I've tried Noodler's Polar Blue, Legal Lapis, and Tahitian Pearl. Of those three, Legal Lapis is my favorite. Polar Blue looks good, but it feathers so much I've actually considered giving my bottle away because I avoid it. Tahitian Pearl does look like a tahitian pearl, which is neat, but that means it's too green for me to consider it a worthwhile blue-black ink. Legal Lapis also has a green-ish tint to it, but enough blue to keep me happy. The thing that I really love about Legal Lapis is that it does not feather or bleed through on the papers I use at work, and it dries fast enough for me.

I ordered Kingfisher because the color looks amazing on the screen images I've seen. Maybe not quite the same as Waterman Blue Black, but who knows, I might like it even more than Waterman Blue Black when I see it in person. It looks like you're getting some shading characteristics, so that's great too.

You mention that it feathers slightly, so I hope I'm not dissapointed there. Since you used a B nib and I typically use fine (sometimes medium), hopefully I wont have any trouble. (Surely it's better than Polar Blue...) Fast dry time is also important to me because after I write stuff, I usually hand the papers to other people and I don't want any smearing going on. So your initial review has me optimistic, and I hope my bottle arrives today! I've never done an ink review, but if I like the ink enough (or hate it enough) I might try to attempt one...

--Stephen

I need this in the UK!

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

Thanks for the review. I'd like to see a comparison with Blue Heron. I'm loving the Blue Heron, definitely a staple for me.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

I'd like to see a comparison with Blue Heron.

Here you go (thanks to FPNer Annie for the sample of BBH):

http://www.serve.com/ammaze/xfer/bbh-bbk.jpg

Viseguy

I'd like to see a comparison with Blue Heron.

Here you go (thanks to FPNer Annie for the sample of BBH):

Oh my, thank you sooo much. :D

They are quite different.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Ohh I like the belted kingfisher... now does anyone want to trade me a bottle for the bad blue heron???? that I think is my next post....

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

Good looking color.

I'm liking it. It's somewhere between Manhattan Blue and FPN Starry Night Blue, if you're familiar with those colors.

I especially like it for signatures. High-contrast, like black, yet clearly not black. And, of course, bullet/laser-proof.

Viseguy

Hmm, to my eye Noodlers BBK looks like it may resemble Noodlers Manhattan Blue and FPN Starry Night Blue.

Dave

p.s. how funny is that. I was typing this while you posted. :ltcapd:

Edited by blopplop

p.s. how funny is that. I was typing this while you posted. :ltcapd:

Great minds....

And it's nice to have some validation of one's impressions.

Viseguy

You mention that it feathers slightly, so I hope I'm not dissapointed there.

It's hardly noticeable. You practically need a magnifying glass to see it. (And that B nib is a garden hose, if not a fire hose.) BBW looks to be right up there with Noodler's Black in terms of feather-resistance.

Viseguy

Vise :

Well, I'll give BBK and BBH a tryout.

BBK is likely the more usable for me, but I decided to give Pear Tree Pens a little ink business today when they posted these new Noodler's inks on the site. I'll admit to some concern about the nib creep, but I've been told separately it's not as bad as some of the Eternals.

Who knows, the New Year may find me on the Warden's chain gang !

John P.