Noodler's Ink: American Eel Gruene Cactus

Signum1

Yes, I'm aware that this ink was reviewed a day ago. Thanks Tsujigiri for the initial Eel Gruene Cactus review. I had the American Eel Gruene Cactus ink loaded in a pen a week ago when I reviewed the Forest Green from Noodler's Ink.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8064/scannedimage6t.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Signum1

• Tsujigiri

• Inka

• RCC

Top Posters In This Topic

Your reviews always look so nice using that Edison Pearl with the Italic nib, love the way you print while writing too, it's just incredibly legible, your reviews really brings out the shading and the color/s of any ink/s I've seen you review.

It's been your reviews more than any others that has made me lead more toward Italic and Stub nibs lately, find myself addressing envelopes and writing side-notes/signatures more and more using these types of nib grinds.

The Graph or Bloc paper you use is also a nice treat to see, was just recently gifted a small RHODIA pad in #14 Bloc by an FPN member and I'm absolutely loving it!

So regardless if an ink has been reviewed a dozen times in a single day, I still like seeing your reviews each and every time you post one!

Please keep them coming, I always enjoy seeing them, including this one!

BTW, I like the wash-test at the end as well, one of the main things I look for in any ink is how it will stand up to water and what I plan on using it for.

I wasn't aware that Eel Gruene Cactus was so susceptible to water washes, a beautiful green ink I could use for letter writing and I like the way it turns to a light turquoise when washed yet still very legible!

Now I know, thanks to this review, for my Journals or address labels I'll stick with my Hunter Green Eternal for its' permanence, seriously considering getting some Eel Gruene Cactus for GPs.

Thanks for this review, and for all the others too!

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Try to steal my glory, will you? :P

Great review, you hit on a lot of points I missed. And of course, you can't have too many takes on the same ink. It was especially interesting to see the blue washed-out ink; I wasn't aware that it did that.

Your reviews always look so nice using that Edison Pearl with the Italic nib, love the way you print while writing too, it's just incredibly legible, your reviews really brings out the shading and the color/s of any ink/s I've seen you review.It's been your reviews more than any others that has made me lead more toward Italic and Stub nibs lately, find myself addressing envelopes and writing side-notes/signatures more and more using these types of nib grinds.The Graph or Bloc paper you use is also a nice treat to see, was just recently gifted a small RHODIA pad in #14 Bloc by an FPN member and I'm absolutely loving it! So regardless if an ink has been reviewed a dozen times in a single day, I still like seeing your reviews each and every time you post one!Please keep them coming, I always enjoy seeing them, including this one!BTW, I like the wash-test at the end as well, one of the main things I look for in any ink is how it will stand up to water and what I plan on using it for.I wasn't aware that Eel Gruene Cactus was so susceptible to water washes, a beautiful green ink I could use for letter writing and I like the way it turns to a light turquoise when washed yet still very legible!Now I know, thanks to this review, for my Journals or address labels I'll stick with my Hunter Green Eternal for its' permanence, seriously considering getting some Eel Gruene Cactus for GPs.Thanks for this review, and for all the others too!

Thanks for the kind words Inka! I appreciate the support. Your reviews are much more complete because you make the effort in running a battery of tests on the ink.

The water test took me awhile to come up with a better approach. The drawback to these new water tests using the soaking method is that I have to wait for the paper to dry before I can scan the results of the soaking test.

I have to give credit to my old boss's client for my handwriting. This client wrote in Italic that when I first saw it my immediate reaction was: I saw...I liked...I WANT! :) There wasn't a big learning curve with Italic because I wrote while gliding my arm, which in turn provide more consistent letters. My old boss uses a ballpoint pen and applies plenty of pressure on the paper while he wiggles is fingers to write. The results of my old boss's handwriting is not very pleasing to the eyes.

Nice review and writing.Was the cursive italic made by Edison Pens? How fussy is it about how it is held? thanks,

I sent the nib to Pendemonium for re-grind. Edison's Cursive Italic has a bit of tooth. Read my pen review of the Edison Herald for a detailed explanation. If you never used an edge pen before, I suggest you get a Lamy Safari with a 1.1 mm Calligraphy nib. It's an affordable price to try a new nib.

Try to steal my glory, will you? :P Great review, you hit on a lot of points I missed. And of course, you can't have too many takes on the same ink. It was especially interesting to see the blue washed-out ink; I wasn't aware that it did that.

Tsujigiri,

I never wanted to steal your glory. I just wanted to borrow it. With all the wonderful compliments you receive, I'm sure you must be blushing left and right. :) On a serious note, please keep those ink reviews coming.

Try to steal my glory, will you? :P Great review, you hit on a lot of points I missed. And of course, you can't have too many takes on the same ink. It was especially interesting to see the blue washed-out ink; I wasn't aware that it did that.

Tsujigiri,

I never wanted to steal your glory. I just wanted to borrow it. With all the wonderful compliments you receive, I'm sure you must be blushing left and right. :) On a serious note, please keep those ink reviews coming.

I'm not sure if my original post came across correctly based on your reply... Just in case it didn't, I was joking. And to be honest, it's helpful to see the same ink reviewed by someone more experienced, kind of like getting a graded paper back. I've only just stepped out of using the same black ink, and am looking forward to all the things I can learn from you and other ink reviewers.

• 11 years later...