Parker Sonnet vs. Sheaffer Prelude

jacbe965

I am looking for an intermediate pen to use regularly at work and I've narrowed in down to the Parker Sonnet or the Sheaffer Prelude. I want to buy it new, and my regular supplier in New Zealand has these for similar prices. Any ideas about which I should get? Links to good/accurate reviews are welcome.

- B

Jacbe965

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• OcalaFlGuy

• PenTieRun

• Lyander0012

While I haven't had any experience with the Prelude, I am pretty up to speed on the Sonnets. I actually do like the looks of the Sonnet better but honestly, even though some Preludes have had issues too, I think you'd be more likely to get a pen you'd like going with it.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I find the Sonnet to be vastly superior to the Prelude. I have both - one Prelude and four Sonnets. The quality is different: the Sonnet is a more solid pen, it writes better (superior nib), and the Parker Sonnet has, surprisingly for Sheaffer, known for its well-balanced pens, better balance than the Prelude.

Erick

Edited by langere

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...owtopic=81758#P

The reviews on this page may help you decide

I like the Sonnet, and believe parker nibs compare favorably to Sheaffer, IMHO, (just opened can of worms) but do not have any experience with the prelude

Edited by roger3

May you and those you love, be always blessed with peace and never ending joy.

Roger

Having owned both, and having worked on both, I think that the Prelude is the better pen. Sonnets have had a reputation for drying out. It's not the cap vent in the top of the cap. Rather, the problem is that when the clip is riveted to the cap, the inner cap often cracks, which allows air into the cap, and the nib to dry out.

I gave my Sonnet away. I collect the Preludes.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...owtopic=81758#P

The reviews on this page may help you decide

I like the Sonnet, and believe parker nibs compare favorably to Sheaffer, IMHO, (just opened can of worms) but do not have any experience with the prelude

Perhaps it might pay to read those reviews VERY CAREFULLY.

ALL 5 of the Sheaffer reveiwers liked their pens and had NO issues once they got the factory nib width they liked. 2 out of 5 of the Sonnet reviewers had custom modified nibs, one by Richard Binder one they reground themselves. Richard I'm sure could and the reviewer *possibly* could have taken care of any nib issues that Sonnet may have had. The 3rd reveiwer, though he graded the pen high also mentions the standard skipping issue many note with the Sonnet.

BEFORE you buy a Sonnet, you should go to read the posts on each of them in their respective forums. What you WON'T see in the Sheaffer forum is post after Post after POST after SMOKING FLAMING POST complaining about how bad the Prelude is like you will the Sonnet in the Parker forum.

Fine. Don't beleive me. Don't beleive the MASSES of owners of both pens.

(Sliding the Coup de Grace sword from it's scabbard facing down the Sonnet bull...)

Ron Zorn, the GURU of Sheaffer pens says the guys that designed the Sonnet left Parker, went to Sheaffer and designed the Prelude. He also says that IHO,

Sheaffer got the better pen.

Richard Binder also says the Prelude is a better pen than the Sonnet. (He also details in the Parker forum the design and production FLAWS he has found that account for the known issues with the Sonnet. I do not beleive he has brought forward any like SYSTEMATIC issues with the Prelude.)

Your Honor, the Prosecution rests.

Edit; I was working on my post when El Zorno made his above, I didn't see it until I finished mine. Ron also voiced the same opinion in posts in the Sheaffer forum.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Having owned both, and having worked on both, I think that the Prelude is the better pen. Sonnets have had a reputation for drying out. It's not the cap vent in the top of the cap. Rather, the problem is that when the clip is riveted to the cap, the inner cap often cracks, which allows air into the cap, and the nib to dry out.

I gave my Sonnet away. I collect the Preludes.

I agree. The Prelude is more reliable, less prone to dry out, and have better ink flow. My 2 Sonnets feel good in the hand, look good to the eye, but are very prone to drying out and have flow issues.

"If the pen is mightier than the sword I am indeed well armed!"

D.P. Mahon

Over the years I have assembled over a dozen Sonnets. I must be quite lucky since I had problems with only one of them. I had a steel nib with a F point that did not flow ink well. I replaced it with a gold nib and it has not missed a beat in three years. (A Sonnet nib/feed unit screws out almost as easily as a Pelikan or Esterbrook.) I have ben very satisfied with my Sonnets.

I would have to go with the majority and vote for the Prelude. I love it's triangular grip which I find more comfortable than the Sonnet. I have several Sheaffers and have never had problems with the nibs. I have had leaking and skipping problems with my Parkers.

dee

I agree with the comments about the Sonnet, but if you do a bit of work on them then they are a great pen. Which sort of means that you buy a cheap one second hand, once the first user got fed up with it, take it apart, clean it up and fix it, then you get a great cheap pen :thumbup:

Just wish that Parker could get it right first time though :headsmack:

Ho Hum

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

I love the aesthetics of the Sonnet, and if I use Parker ink in mine then it writes beautifully. If you use any other ink, it skips, clogs and experiences all kinds of problems. I just bought my 3rd Prelude, however, because they're such great pens. The nibs are sized properly, the brass construction adds weight and durability, and they seems to preform well with any ink. Only downside to the Prelude is that nib creep is quite active, though more so in my fine nib than my medium.

I agree with the comments about the Sonnet, but if you do a bit of work on them then they are a great pen. Which sort of means that you buy a cheap one second hand, once the first user got fed up with it, take it apart, clean it up and fix it, then you get a great cheap pen :thumbup:

Ho Hum

Jim

One could get the impression that I'm some kind of Sonnet hater. That is so far from the truth. I think it's a beautiful pen with superb balance and a very

nice fit and finish. But it is also infected with a sytematic set of reocurring maladies that apparently over a number or years, Parker chose not to correct.

A disservice to not JUST their customers, but to what could have been a wonderful pen.

I could probably pay to have mine corrected since it's not a warranty able pen, but I have "a thang" about having to send what should be a perfectly good

operating pen in for paid service to correct problems it never should have came with.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Ok, thanks everyone for all the feedback. I'm going to think about it for awhile, but I'm leaning towards the Prelude.

- B

Jacbe965

[quote[

Only downside to the Prelude is that nib creep is quite active, though more so in my fine nib than my medium.

The interesting thing is that I have noted this with the two tone nibs, but not with the silver steel nibs, or the 23K gold plated nibs. I'm told that it can be cured BTW. I haven't been bothered enough to try the technique.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Ho Hum

Jim

You have to be careful buying Sonnets from non-authorized dealers, though. It's one of the most faked pens out there, and counterfeiters have gotten better and better at it.

Whoa, that's interesting. My creepy nib is a two-tone, and the uncreepy one is a silver steel nib. Well, at least Sheaffer is consistent. Thanks for the insight, Ron.

I have one Sonnet, a flighter. Nice looking and well built, but I had to work on the nib before it wrote properly. I also have/ have had 5 Preludes. Two of them had to be worked on too, before they condescended to write ... So, there are issues on both lines...

Much prefer Preludes to Sonnets. I have quite a few Preludes and not had an issue with any of them. Also the nibs do not dry out when capped. I have left the odd pen with ink for months and it has still started first time. Do that with a Sonnet and the ink will be totally dried up. Personally I prefer the weight and build of the Prelude too - feels a better made pen.

Just based on the comments I've seen on these two pens in various places, I'd go with the Prelude. Sonnets seem to be rife with out-of-the-box flow issues.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to ask (having never handled wither pen) which of the two is thinner between the fingers when writing? As I favour smaller rather than thicker grips. Any guidance appreciated on this (my first post).