Noodler's Black

HenryLouis

The famous Noodler's black... Archival, bulletproof, No bleedthrough or feathering!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_2918.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_2917.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_2915.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_2916.jpg

Nib creep

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_2912.jpg

How it writes

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_2911.jpg

Edited by HenryLouis
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HenryLouis

• GreenVelvet

• thebeesknees

• montblancdude

Nice review Henry! Might have to pick up a bottle myself...

Loving Mont Blanc and everything fountain pen!!!!!!!!

One of the few, the proud... 14 year-old FPN'ers!!!!!! ;)

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)

MY INKS: Parker Quink Blue, Private Reserve Midnight Blues, Montblanc Black

The best ink ever created. :thumbup:

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

The best ink ever created. :thumbup:

I can agree ... very well rounded color.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

@Henry,

Of all the black inks from Noodler's, I've not yet gotten a bottle of this regular "bulletproof" black ink.

Looks good so far, just didn't realize it has nib-creep when others have said it doesn't.

It may just be the pens they use with this ink that don't have nib-creep, maybe your LAMY 2000 [?] causes the “creepies” somehow, I just don't know since I don't yet have a LAMY 2000 [would like one, just cannot afford one at this time].

Thanks for the review and the other information too!

Keep ‘em coming!

:thumbup:

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

BHR Eclipse slender flat-top.

I've had Noodler's Black a few years and will keep it. Recently I tried a sample of Heart of Darkness and was impressed that it seems to flow better and not take any longer to dry. Later, I was doubly impressed when I held a writing sample that had set overnight under running water. The minor residual ink that washed off did not leave a grey stain on the paper--it washed completely off and the remaining ink looked just as black as it did before I rinsed!!!

Even though I am switching to HOD for reasons mentioned above, we know that regular Noodler's Black is an ink that is impervious to just about everything, thus I think it is a good ink for anyone, myself included, to have around.

I've had Noodler's Black a few years and will keep it. Recently I tried a sample of Heart of Darkness and was impressed that it seems to flow better and not take any longer to dry. Later, I was doubly impressed when I held a writing sample that had set overnight under running water. The minor residual ink that washed off did not leave a grey stain on the paper--it washed completely off and the remaining ink looked just as black as it did before I rinsed!!!

Even though I am switching to HOD for reasons mentioned above, we know that regular Noodler's Black is an ink that is impervious to just about everything, thus I think it is a good ink for anyone, myself included, to have around.

The only thing about HoD is that I can only find it in the 4.5 oz bottles which are $26... I don't really think I'm at the point where I want to spend that much on one bottle of ink. The color is fantastic, I tried a sample... No shading whatsoever.

The only thing about HoD is that I can only find it in the 4.5 oz bottles which are $26... I don't really think I'm at the point where I want to spend that much on one bottle of ink. The color is fantastic, I tried a sample... No shading whatsoever.

One of the best inks out there in many categories. And clearly they have both been tested ad nauseum for color-fastness and waterproofness. I think it could be said that they are the equal of a carbon black if not surpassing them.

S

@Henry,

Of all the black inks from Noodler's, I've not yet gotten a bottle of this regular "bulletproof" black ink.

Looks good so far, just didn't realize it has nib-creep when others have said it doesn't.

It may just be the pens they use with this ink that don't have nib-creep, maybe your LAMY 2000 [?] causes the “creepies” somehow, I just don't know since I don't yet have a LAMY 2000 [would like one, just cannot afford one at this time].

Thanks for the review and the other information too!

Keep ‘em coming!

:thumbup:

I have yet to use a Noodler's ink that didn't have at least some nib creep. Tell-tale sign of what ink and colour are in each pen, so I just learned to live with it! ;-)

---

Don't take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway!

If I only had this black ink and not Waterman Black I think I would have liked it but I bought a waterman kultur on ebay and got Waterman black ink cartridge free and the shiny black quality of that ink made me somewhat dislike Noodlers bullet proof black. Also on drying it gave a tint of brown on my moleskine so I just sold it off here in India where it is so rare to find a bottle. But yes its bulletproof quality is awesome. Water, when i tested it, has no effect whatever on script wrote with this ink, this is amazing. It definitely has nib creep no doubt about it.

"............. society imposes insults that must be borne, comforted by the knowledge that in this world there comes a time when the most humble of men, if he keeps his eyes open, can take his revenge upon the most powerful."

====== Don Corleone

Nice. After trying HoD, I really liked it better; though I'm sticking with Noodler's due to financial issues.

First Pen: Pilot Varsity

Second Pen: Sheaffer NoNonSense

Third: ??? (Waterman Phineas or Lamy Safari)

Nice. After trying HoD, I really liked it better; though I'm sticking with Noodler's due to financial issues.

What do you mean... they are both Noodler's inks...

Does anyone have an opinion of Noodler's Black, HOD, or Aurora Black as the black with the best of these three qualities: dry time; feathering; blackness. I am looking for a good black for use in an M805 on cheap office legal pads. I am relatively pleased with my Aurora blue, but the dry time is not as fast as I would like (even in a Sailor fine!).

Thank you in advance.

Brian

Brian

Does anyone have an opinion of Noodler's Black, HOD, or Aurora Black as the black with the best of these three qualities: dry time; feathering; blackness. I am looking for a good black for use in an M805 on cheap office legal pads. I am relatively pleased with my Aurora blue, but the dry time is not as fast as I would like (even in a Sailor fine!).

Thank you in advance.

Brian

How about Pelikan's own Brilliant Black? Great ink, very dark and well behaved. Somewhat drier than Aurora Black which I also like. It is my standard black in my Pelikan M150 and vintage Pelikan 140 pens.

What do you mean... they are both Noodler's inks...

Given the size of the bottle, and if he already owns one, my guess is that there is not funds available for further ink purchases till HOD is gone.