Fountain Pen Inventory Database by Jon Rosen - Version 1.5

7 Screenshots

About This File

This fountain pen inventory database is ready to download. There is a version for both Mac and PC users. The database maintains a lot of useful information about your fountain pen collection, including basic descriptive info, prices paid, repairs made and unlimited photographs.

It also makes it very easy to post reviews to FPN. This database isn't associated with FPN, but I did add a couple of features that plays nicely with FPN.

As mentioned, there's a Mac and a PC version. Because of some font issues on the PC there are a couple of small changes in the PC version. There isn't a large difference, but the Mac version looks a little nicer.

When you download it and unzip it, you will see a file and a folder named Fountain Pen Inventory. The file is an alias to the main program file in the folder. I don't usually distribute my solutions as standalone runtime databases. I've tested it as carefully as I could, but let me know if you have any issues. Even better, let me know if you like it, too.

There is no charge for Fountain Pen Inventory. It's my gift to the FPN fountain pen community. You can redistribute it to someone else, but are not allowed to charge for it, modify it or present it as your own work.

Jonro

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I have been populating the database and I have now 219 records. When I entered the last pen, It didn't allow me to enter the pictures. It just shows the icon instead of the picture. Does anybody know if there is a limit to the number of records or pictures that can be entered? Should I save the database and create a new one for the remaining items? I would appreciate some input. Thanks, Victor.

I have been populating the database and I have now 219 records. When I entered the last pen, It didn't allow me to enter the pictures. It just shows the icon instead of the picture. Does anybody know if there is a limit to the number of records or pictures that can be entered? Should I save the database and create a new one for the remaining items? I would appreciate some input. Thanks, Victor.

I've discovered what the problem was. The database works well. The problem was with a few picture files that were corrupted.

I finished loading all my collection into the database. I found it very convenient to use and I like it.

I found however what I believe to be a glitch.

The total number of pens reported on the list in the software is 279. When I export it to Excel It shows only 276 lines and a difference of $20 in the total value of the collection. Does anybody know how to troubleshoot this error?

Is anyone still using this on Windows? If so, any issues?

I use the database, which is marvelous.  No problems on Windows.

Erick

18 minutes ago, langere said:

I use the database, which is marvelous.  No problems on Windows.

Erick

Thank you!

I have used this DB for years and have over 270 pens in it with all their photos, etc.  The DB .FPN file is at 570 MB.

No problems at all so far. 

Update please. Open source please? Would it be possible developers?

Thanks.

vf

I have a new computer and I would like to know how to install and preserve all data of Fountain Pen Inventory in the new computer.

Thank you for your advise.

I admire the perseverance

the problem with these databases is the chore of the data entry

I started filling one time ago, I stopped at the second entry... :rolleyes:

btw, database programs usually store data in a... database file

you should have a file inside the program with a database file extension, such as .dbs

all your data is in there (you can often recognize the file by its size, it's larger than other files - as it contains data - and if you add new data it's size will increase! a way to spot it, together with its update date)

on a new pc install the program then copy the .dbs file(or whichever extension this program uses) from the old pc and copy it on the new pc in the same folder it was on the old pc,

that should do it

PS I just checked wikipedia

since the program was programmed with FileMaker (but which version is not mentioned), the database file will be one of the following

File type extensions:

• .fm since FileMaker Pro 2.0
  • .fp3 since FileMaker Pro 3.0
  • .fp5 since FileMaker Pro 5.0 (including 5, 5.5, 6.0)
  • .fp7 since FileMaker Pro 7.0 (including 7, 8, 8.5, 9, 10, 11 and FileMaker Go 1.0)
  • .fmp12 since FileMaker Pro 12 (including 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)

search for one of these in the program directories/folders

This might not be the right place to post this, but I've been playing with an app called MobiDB lately to build something similar that sync's to my cloud storage. This one installs on Android, iOS and Windows and sync's to my devices and Google Drive. Basically had to build everything from scratch, but I used some of the layout I've seen in this database application and others. Not sure how much interest there is in this, but I've created a template of what I've done so far that I'd be happy to share if anyone wants it. Still very much a work in progress and I've started another file for inks as well.

When I need to add another brand I duplicate one of the existing cards and find a transparent logo file for the icon. 

Screenshot 2022-05-02 132527.png

Screenshot 2022-05-02 132609.png

blackandbaystate

Posted

On 10/23/2021 at 6:20 PM, Bisquitlips said:

I have used this DB for years and have over 270 pens in it with all their photos, etc.  The DB .FPN file is at 570 MB.

No problems at all so far. 

This is what I like to hear. Just spent an afternoon cataloguing mine & didn't want all to be for naught. 
Seems like an excellent system. So far, so good.  

On 10/13/2023 at 7:58 PM, blackandbaystate said:

This is what I like to hear. Just spent an afternoon cataloguing mine & didn't want all to be for naught. 
Seems like an excellent system. So far, so good.  

As stated, I have had no issues at all with functionality.  My only problem is with the exporting of the database to an Exel file.  When I attempt to export all 300 plus pen records, I only get about 70 exported.  I am sure it's a learning curve on my end.  Other than that, it's all good.