What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

It was pen-filling day.  So I used many, but not for very long!  I have finally decided that the Bungubox ink(with what is supposedly a helpful cone) is useless when it comes to Pilot VPs.  I used a syringe to pull from the fancy Bungubox bottle and put ink into one of those cheap Nib Miser cones that look like something I should have printed out myself.  Much better results.  The built-in inkwell on the Bungubox just seems incompatible with the depth one must submerge a Capless to in order to draw up ink successfully.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• OldTravelingShoe

• Misfit

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For some reason it was a black ink day....

Parker 45 Flighter, B nib, with whatever reconstituted (and now somewhat diluted) black ink was in it when I bought it.

Noodler's Forbidden City Konrad, flex nib, with Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A Yellow Sailor 1911 with a music nib and using Sailor Inagro-Iro Days Honey (Hachimitsu) ink. I am writing in a Seven Seas Notebook and  the ink feels dry (it didn't feel that way on a hobonichi notebook or on an older TR 68gsm paper.

So far mostly my Majohn P136 with Noodler's Green (and a bit of Diamine Kelly) and the little Creeks with Noodler's Fox Red. But I've actually used all eight pens that are inked up at some point today.

I am trying to use inks that I have and have never used. So I just inked up a Montblanc 149 Italic Edge with Sailor Jentle Toki-matsu (pine). So far letter writing, doing ink splots/blots and doodling wiith it.

Blue Cross Solo, B nib -- diluted Diamine Blue Edition Gingerbread.

Noodler's Forbidden City acrylic Konrad -- Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This pen arrived today. It’s my attempt to mimic the Kaweco USA exclusive Black Crystal pen. That pen is clear, comes with a black clip, cartridges, converter and black nib. I was able to get my new Kaweco with a 1.1mm nib. 

large.IMG_9804.jpeg.1c17a467bf21b64801254f755227a00b.jpeg

Posted Image

Just inked up my Diplomat Excellence 2 with a difficult ink - J. Herbin's Caroube de Chipre.  And it writes like a charm.  I was a bit skeptical because of the shimmer, but no problem (unlike the Maiora Aventus that did not take well to J. Herbin's Rouge Hematite).

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

Trying to use up what’s left of Pelikan Edelstein Apatite in my 140 EF so I can clean it.

On 5/15/2023 at 8:34 PM, essayfaire said:

It was pen-filling day.  So I used many, but not for very long!  I have finally decided that the Bungubox ink(with what is supposedly a helpful cone) is useless when it comes to Pilot VPs.  I used a syringe to pull from the fancy Bungubox bottle and put ink into one of those cheap Nib Miser cones that look like something I should have printed out myself.  Much better results.  The built-in inkwell on the Bungubox just seems incompatible with the depth one must submerge a Capless to in order to draw up ink successfully.

The way I fill all my Pilots and the VP is to refill either the cartridge or the converter with an eye dropper.   Use a Syringe for small mouth cartridges and converters.  For PeliKans and Auroras I've been unscrewing the nibs and eyedroppering into the barrel.

"Use many but not for very long"  exactly what I do...👍  but washing out pens is, (1) a nuisance and (2) some pens have a preferred ink that I'd rather not change, so I'm using a fleet of Jinhao X-159s for ink evaluating.  4 Fine, 4 Medium, 1 EF.

IMG_3791900.jpg.71bff295d0047d078b3cc7665e446a5d.jpg

IMG_3792600.jpg.8fb9beddba7b9abcc041ba48cdd6d449.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

Pen three inked this week (I cleaned a bunch earlier last week).  I filled a Franklin Christoph 19 wiht a regalia Crossfire nib. A couple of years ago a local pen friend at a Pelikan hub gave me a sample of Skrip Persian Rose. So I decided (finally) to take this ink for a spin. It's lovely.

On 5/18/2023 at 3:41 AM, USG said:

washing out pens is, (1) a nuisance and (2) some pens have a preferred ink that I'd rather not change, so I'm using a fleet of Jinhao X-159s for ink evaluating.  4 Fine, 4 Medium, 1 EF.

I try to fine permanent ink pairings for my good pens; makes life easier.

Why do you prefer the eyedropper to the syringe for Pilots?

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

15 hours ago, essayfaire said:

I try to fine permanent ink pairings for my good pens; makes life easier.

Why do you prefer the eyedropper to the syringe for Pilots?

I have permanent ink parings for many of my good pens too, until I get a new ink and want to try it out in a good pen....  It became such a hassle cleaning out pens sufficiently enough to change colors that I decided to just buy new X-159s from now on.  The X-159s feel like "good pens with large Nibs" 😲 in my hand.  The #8 nibs have a softness to them, preferable to all the steel #6s I have and are great for testing ink properties. They've all been really smooth writers (rarely needing a tweak).  But most of all it's like being able to compare a group of inks, in the same pen, at the same time, on the same sheet of paper, without having to deal with the previous ink color. 

4 new  X-159s cost slightly more than a bottle of premium ink and I don't have to deal with anything else.  The only caveat is that some of the X-159s have been dip tested in blue ink, but it rinses right out and hasn't been a problem.   If I find an ink that's outstanding, that's great, it might go into a better pen, but my taste keeps changing so for the time being it's X-159s. 🙂

The reason I use a dropper for Pilot cartridges and converters is because it's much easier that using a syringe. The glass tube rinses out easily and I can dry it with a Q-tip.

For Today:

The Momento Majohns

IMG_3800 900.jpg

IMG_3814 900.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

6 hours ago, USG said:

I have permanent ink parings for many of my good pens too, until I get a new ink and want to try it out in a good pen....  It became such a hassle cleaning out pens sufficiently enough to change colors that I decided to just buy new X-159s from now on.  The X-159s feel like "good pens with large Nibs" 😲 in my hand.  The #8 nibs have a softness to them, preferable to all the steel #6s I have and are great for testing ink properties. They've all been really smooth writers (rarely needing a tweak).  But most of all it's like being able to compare a group of inks, in the same pen, at the same time, on the same sheet of paper, without having to deal with the previous ink color. 

4 new  X-159s cost slightly more than a bottle of premium ink and I don't have to deal with anything else.  The only caveat is that some of the X-159s have been dip tested in blue ink, but it rinses right out and hasn't been a problem.   If I find an ink that's outstanding, that's great, it might go into a better pen, but my taste keeps changing so for the time being it's X-159s. 🙂

The reason I use a dropper for Pilot cartridges and converters is because it's much easier that using a syringe. The glass tube rinses out easily and I can dry it with a Q-tip.

For Today:

The Momento Majohns

IMG_3800 900.jpg

IMG_3814 900.jpg

Pretty colors!  From where are they available?  I only have a black.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

4 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Purple - Extra fine nib

Teal/Green - fine nib

Blue - Medium nib

Orange - Broad/1.1 nib

Nice selection of colors

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Pelikan schwarz-blau M400 old style OB nib, inked with Edelstein Sapphire. I really like this nib. 

Today's journal pen is a Jinhao X159 F with Van Dieman's Pepperberry. It's certainly a big one and the nib so smooth it kinda skates on the page which makes it more difficult to control. Maybe I could get used to it... by the time I finish the ink fill will know what I think. What an experience!

large.JinhaoX159_VanDiemansPepperberry.jpg.949cf0025478275123122cc2dfb3d720.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure: