I need so advice for a wood fountain pen

kaisede

Hi fellow forum friends:

I am looking for a nice wood made fountain pen, it is hard to find except for the Lamy 2000, do you guys have any other suggestion? The price has to be moderate, less than 200 if possiable.

Thank you all,

Andy Huang

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGriz

• kaisede

• _EL_

• alexalex

I just found out that Lamy 2000 is made of fiber glass instead of wood, guess I am back to square one again.

The regular Lamy 2000 is fiberglass or something - but there was (is??) a special wooden model made. You'd have to look for it, but it does exist.

Not all wooden pens are worth it. There are unfortunately many wood hobbyists who make beautiful wooden pens and then buy low-quality bad-writing nibs to put in them. So if you buy a hand-made one, make sure it has a good nib.

Not all wooden pens are worth it. There are unfortunately many wood hobbyists who make beautiful wooden pens and then buy low-quality bad-writing nibs to put in them. So if you buy a hand-made one, make sure it has a good nib.

David, I would like to answer your statement...

Yes there are bad hardware kits out there by some of the manufacturers... but usually not fountain pen kits. They have learned that the pen makers will not put up with bad kits... so most of the questionable hardware is found on 'beginner kits'

As for bad writing nibs, that is something I have to argue.

There are actually only 2 companies that design and import fountain pen kits in this country... they both use Bock steel nibs for the fountain pens and one of them offers Bock solid gold nibs as an option to the pen maker.

The Bock steel nibs are very good writing nibs... and are used on a lot of the commercially available pens being bougth into this country.

Unfortunately, the nibs being offered to the pen makers are only mediums....

I can get fine nibs in steel at extra price, but not in gold.

You stated "then buy low-quality bad-writing nibs to put in them". We do not purchase the nibs separately (except the gold ones)... they come with the pen hardware.

Well, I know of two great fountainpens (in my collection) : the Omas Precious Wood series (the Ogiva model) and the Waterman Serenity Limited edition. Both are not quite affordable to most people's standards (sane people that is :D !) Both are great writers.

Other FP's made of wood are IIRC the Stipula Pinocchio (limited edition?) and at least one series of the Lamy 2000. I have seen several other FP's made out of wood without an indication of a maker or type, all steel nibbed as far as I could tell. Some of the latter where quite reasonably priced (about 5-10% of the pens mentioned above.) Never tried them, hoping that if I aim at overpriced FP's I might keep the total number of FP's in my collection down to some level where I actually can use them all and still find time to sleep :D

E.

Andy, excuse me for blowing my own horn... but take a look at my website...

I make custom wooden pens...

My Favorite Pen

Hi OldGriz,

Just curious, would it be possible to use a 'screw type nib assembly' (is this the right word?) such as found in Stipula's or Pelikans and put these in a custom wooden FP?

This would boil down to making the right threads and possibly sealing to prevent leakage... though I may be missing a whole lot of other problems.

Also, (firefox on freebsd did not show the slideshow so I may be missing obvious clues) is it difficult to make a piston filler?

E.

Andy, excuse me for blowing my own horn... but take a look at my website...

I make custom wooden pens...

My Favorite Pen

Hi OldGriz,

Just curious, would it be possible to use a 'screw type nib assembly' (is this the right word?) such as found in Stipula's or Pelikans and put these in a custom wooden FP?

This would boil down to making the right threads and possibly sealing to prevent leakage... though I may be missing a whole lot of other problems.

Also, (firefox on freebsd did not show the slideshow so I may be missing obvious clues) is it difficult to make a piston filler?

E.

El,

Unfortunately, none of your options are available to me at the time being..

I don't know what threading those nib assemblies use.... and I don't have the machinery to make threads

All of my pens are hand turned on a wood lathe.. not a metal lathe with a mechanical follower....

As for a piston filler, I am working on something.... it may or may not work out.. but if it does, it might be real interesting.

Thanks for asking

Check out the Sailor Wooden pens Collection.

It's available in "Precious Wood" (Ebony or Rosewood)

Sailor Precious Wood Collection

or in "Rare Grain"

Sailor Rare Grain Collection

They're unusual (for Sailor) and have an 18K nib that appears inlaid (but it's not).

I have neve seen the Ebony or Rare Grains, but I stock the Rosewood and it's really a very nice pen.

Oh - it's my understanding that the Lamy 2000 in wood is not available as a fountain pen - only in a ball point at the moment.

Edited by James P

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

thank you all for your input, I think I am going for custom make one they offer so much more different choices compare to those brand pen manufacture.

Thanks ago

Andy Huang

Faber-Castell makes some decent looking wooden pens. Talking 'bout moderately priced you might consider Ambition (very nice looking; their new line is made of wood) or e-motion (quite short and chunky).

Greetz!

Parafernala makes some wood pens:

http://www.giardino.it/pens/parafernalia/IMMAGINI/woodtappo.jpghttp://www.giardino.it/pens/parafernalia/IMMAGINI/woodstilo.jpg

with small gold plated nibs, priced under 100 USD.

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

Andy,

Faber Castell makes a FP out of pear wood, relatively affordable and if I am not mistaken with a steel nib. Check out www.joon.com, not an inexpensive site but you can get an idea. I have been thinking about getting a wood FP, the idea of the feel of wood and its reaction to years of use, yummy :P

Dan

"Sweating is the bodies way of weeping with desire," he said. "Five more cry baby, five more", she said.