The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Rotring Altro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vans4444

vans4444

a stranger in a strange pen land

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 17:22

This my first review and I have only started using a fountain pen again a few days ago after a 15 year lull and so I don’t have any expertise in these matters.

I am reviewing the Rotring Altro, a cheap pen that was sold loose in the 1980s. This is not to be confused with a stylograph pen that was sold by Rotring at the same time and also called an Altro.

Altro_3.JPG

• First Impressions (7/10) – The Altro is a cheap pen, but the slightly unusual design makes it standout from the cheap pen crowd.

• Appearance & Design (7/10) – It is typical of what I would expect from Rotring, a clean functional design. There is not a single element that is just ornamental, everything has a purpose. It is all plastic with a steel nib. The plastic is thin and light but the ridges around the body make it very firm. The cap is very secure and needs quite a tug to remove it. The Altro came in a number of colours including white, pink and yellow. This one is a dull burgundy. I like the design, but it’s not to everyone’s taste

• Weight & Dimensions (9/10) – The length is almost exactly the same as the Newton 600. Capped it is about 15 cm in length and with the cap posted about 17 cm. I have large hands and it sits very well, giving me a very comfortable writing position. However, the single most striking thing about the pen is its weight. It is very light. I have no other all plastic pens to compare it against, but it feels as light as an ordinary school pencil. Posting the cap has no real effect on the balance of the pen.

• Nib & Performance (7/10) – The nib is medium (I understand that fine was also available) steel. It starts every time; no skipping although it is very slightly scratchy. I would say that it is on the moderate side of dry. In use the Altro medium nib seems very slightly thinner than the Newton 600 medium but it may be that the Newton is slightly wetter. I tend to prefer heavy pens, but the Altro, due to its weight and length feels like a pen I would choose if I had to spend the whole day writing

• Filling System (9/10) – Cartridge with space for a spare.

• Cost & Value (10/10) – I brought the pen the 1980's for £3 or £4 in an art shop that was also the local Rotring dealer? A pen dealer on eBay is currently selling them for about £14 plus postage. When I brought the pen I thought it was excellent value for money and used it for some months as my main pen. However, I wouldn’t pay £14 for one, but then again I don’t know what else is available for that money. When I dug it out of the draw last week (after about 20 years), I was surprised how easily it started, just a quick rinse under the tap, put in a 15 year old cartridge and worked.

• Conclusion (Final score, 8.1/10) – In summary, it is a very good cheap pen, reliable, well designed and comfortable to use. A real workhorse. When I brought it, I was looking for a pen for everyday use. A pen that if it was lost, it would be no more than a minor inconvenience. The Altro delivered on all these expectations.

Edited by vans4444, 17 March 2009 - 17:29.

Sponsored Content

#2 AlleyViper

AlleyViper

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:48

I have an Altro Mechanical Pencil laying around in white plastic, bought in mid/late 90s as they were easily available on supermarket chains, so as the plastic 300. Unfortunately the clip is loose, as it's support broke at the top inside of the cap.
I guess the brass cap on the 900 wouldn't suffer this incident. Still, these are some exquisite and stylish plastic pens.

Edited by AlleyViper, 24 April 2009 - 01:51.

#3 linnicky

linnicky

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 13:31

QUOTE (AlleyViper @ Apr 24 2009, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have an Altro Mechanical Pencil laying around in white plastic, bought in mid/late 90s as they were easily available on supermarket chains, so as the plastic 300. Unfortunately the clip is loose, as it's support broke at the top inside of the cap.
I guess the brass cap on the 900 wouldn't suffer this incident. Still, these are some exquisite and stylish plastic pens.

I also have one Altro in white colour. Is it the same ( except the material ) as Rotring 900? Or just a cheaper model of the 900?

#4 r1chard

r1chard

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:42

^altro's barrel is made of plastic. i think 900 is metal but i'm not sure.

i just got 4 rotring altro fountain pens, all fine nibs.
i have white, black, blue and red. i tried 2 of them and i'm impressed.
i'm a big fan of art pens, that made me interested with altro,
although their barrels can't be interchanged.

anyone tried the mechanical pencil and pen, also of altro line?

#5 J English Smith

J English Smith

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:47

I remember these...the clip was very distinctive. Never owned one, though. Rotring made very good products, that's for sure.
<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Sponsored Content

|