Ian Fleming's Fountain Pen

DunhillGuru

Hi guys,

I am doing some research on Ian Fleming and his 'toys' -

Ian Fleming was the creator and author of James Bond, journalist and a WW2 British naval intelligence officer. During his lifetime he used many luxury 'gadgets' such as a Ronson Oxidised lighter, and he had his favourite fountain pen. Some distant memory tells me he used an SJ Dupont pen, but I also seem to think he used a Dunhill fountain pen.

Does anyone out there know which pen he used?

The difference between a winner and a loser is that a loser thinks they will win and a winner knows they will win

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soapytwist

• Titivillus

• dogpoet

• DunhillGuru

Welcome!

An interesting question - good luck with your research.

I think Dupont (ST, not SJ, by the way) is excluded by virtue of timing; if memory serves, Dupont didn't offer its first fountain pen until after Fleming's death - some time in the 1970s, I believe.

Dunhill was certainly selling pens in the 1920s/30s (as witness the magnificent Dunhill-Namikis). But I have no idea what models, if any, Dunhill might have been offering during the relevant time period.

Cheers,

Jon

I've just had a flick through Henry Chancellor's James Bond: The Man And His World. Although I can't see anything about fountain pens, he did have a gold capped Bic Biro! IIRC Bond used a Mont Blanc in the books (and some of the films), and Fleming usually gave him his own tics and foibles. Maybe someone else can help?

As an aside, the barrel of Scaramanga's gun from the The Man With The Golden Gun film was apparently a Waterman.

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

I've just had a flick through Henry Chancellor's James Bond: The Man And His World. Although I can't see anything about fountain pens, he did have a gold capped Bic Biro! IIRC Bond used a Mont Blanc in the books (and some of the films), and Fleming usually gave him his own tics and foibles. Maybe someone else can help?

As an aside, the barrel of Scaramanga's gun from the The Man With The Golden Gun film was apparently a Waterman.

WOW thanks guys for your assistance with this. I shall of course continue seeking my answer.

I do know that Fleming liked his little 'luxury toys' like his Royal Quiet Deluxe (gold plated) typewriter and his cigarette case - And if you take a look at his letters, although the body was typed he invariable used that wonderfully old fashioned method of writing the salutation and signature in handwriting (see here)

Thanks again guys :-)

The difference between a winner and a loser is that a loser thinks they will win and a winner knows they will win

• 2 weeks later...

He also wrote "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" I wonder which pen Professor Caratacus Potts would have used!

www.stevelightart.com

He also wrote "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" I wonder which pen Professor Caratacus Potts would have used!

No!!! REALLY??? That's hilarious!

Ryan.

Ryan.

I couldn't believe it either so I checked with IMDb, it seems it is so. Fleming wrote the novel, the only non-James Bond story he wrote. (Or sold, at any rate.) I never knew this.

Harry Leopold

“Prints of Darkness”

I'm surprised any fan of Fleming's didn't already know this!

Actually if you read the story, as I did for my kids many years ago, you will find several references that could have been to Bond or Fleming himself.

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

I heard that some years back, and the connection to me seemed obvious. Corupt forign powers attempting to steal a secret weapon, a car that can convert into boats and airplanes, all sorts of gadgets and inventions, a big battle against the evil cronies in the end. I think the Baron even had a cat. It's a little-kids version of Bond, done right. . .

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Penguin in the UK did a really nice anniversary edition of the original book (illustrated by John Burningham) a year or so ago. Incidentally, Roald Dahl wrote the screenplay of the film (hence the Childcatcher!).

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Oddly enough,the same German actor that played Auric Goldfinger(Gert Frobe)in "Goldfinger"

also played the evil king in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

BTW,do ya think Fleming liked his ink chilled at the correct temperature(98.6 F) and when his

pen wouldn't write it had to be shaken and not stirred? :roflmho:

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Actually if you read the story, as I did for my kids many years ago, you will find several references that could have been to Bond or Fleming himself.

Although the story for the Disney film bears only passing resemblance to that in the book.

Its a wonderful book, it taught me to use the word 'conglomeration'!

Greg

Member of the No.1 Club

Although the story for the Disney film bears only passing resemblance to that in the book.

As opposed to, say "The Jungle Book" or "Alladin"? :roflmho:

I'm afraid Disney is not my "go to" filmmaker for accurate translations of printed to visual media! ;)

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

Hi guys,

I am doing some research on Ian Fleming and his 'toys' -

Ian Fleming was the creator and author of James Bond, journalist and a WW2 British naval intelligence officer. During his lifetime he used many luxury 'gadgets' such as a Ronson Oxidised lighter, and he had his favourite fountain pen. Some distant memory tells me he used an SJ Dupont pen, but I also seem to think he used a Dunhill fountain pen.

Does anyone out there know which pen he used?

Well, not a fountain pen, but... I read somewhere that Fleming had a gold-plated portable typewriter, apparently a gift from the maker. He apparently never used it, and it was sold by his estate after he died. (Now, if I could just find the typewriter collecting book that was written up in!)

"Here was a man who had said, with his wan smile, that once he realized that he would never be a protagonist, he decided to become, instead, an intelligent spectator, for there was no point in writing without serious motivation." - Casaubon referring to Belbo, Foucault's Pendulum.

Ryan.

I couldn't believe it either so I checked with IMDb, it seems it is so. Fleming wrote the novel, the only non-James Bond story he wrote. (Or sold, at any rate.) I never knew this.

Actually he wrote the book Thrilling Cities. An introduction or travel account of a few of the world's cities.

Actually he wrote the book Thrilling Cities. An introduction or travel account of a few of the world's cities.

I am something of a Fleming fan and have an early Pan copy of volume 1. He is buried in Wiltshire, not far from where I work...

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

I am something of a Fleming fan and have an early Pan copy of volume 1. He is buried in Wiltshire, not far from where I work...

They were travel pieces for the Sunday Times collected together in one volume (I have an early Jonathan Cape HB). The Hong Kong piece is worth reading if you've visited in the last ten years - it's unrecognisable from the description Fleming gives.

His other non-Bond book was The Diamond Smugglers.

Disney did not produce Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. It was produced by Cubby Broccoli and Harry Salzman, the same people that produced the Bond film franchise. I can't tell you how many times I have seen that move. It seems to get better with repeated viewings. One of my favorite catchphrases is to imitate the child-catcher trying seduce the children with candy ("...all free today."). The book for CCBB is not an easy one for children to read. The movie and the book are totally two different stories, with the only thing in common is the car.

In regard to the fountain pen question...Ian Fleming was an journalist in London in the 1930s who began writing political-spy thrillers. In most photographs, he is posed with his typewriter, never a fountain pen. Hence, most of his work, I believe was done on his favorite typewriter from his little outpost home Goldeneye in Jamaica.

I'm such a fan of James Bond, I've had a third nipple implanted--just like Scaramonga--and my ear lobes lobbed-off--just like Blofeld.

Edited by ToasterPastry

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pop.jpg

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

This from my nephew who has read all the books more than once and can recite long stretches of dialogue from most of the movies:

Just offhand, since Bond used one (can't remember if it was Gardner Bond or Fleming Bond), my raging wild-*** guess would be Montblanc.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

I am afraid I do not know the answer to the question, what I do know is that Chitty Chitty Bang bang scared me for life!!!

I remember being taken to see it in i think 1968/9 and to this day (I am 45 now) I cannot watch past the child catcher, he still sends cold shivers up and down my spine!

Edited by ianmedium

All the best.

Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Parker 51 Vac, Pelikan 140. Aurora, Twsbi vac, Omas,dupont Waterman leMan 100 Opera