Help me pick out a RED pen

Caboose

I know you're already done shopping, but I found another one that I really liked...umm...I mean that I think that you'll like. It's a special edition pen, though, so it might be a bit hard to find.

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Pelikan%20website%20pics/M620Madrid.JPG

Enjoy your new pen! :D

TMann

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caboose

• Kelly

• TMann

• James P

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TMann,

I think you and I have similar taste in pens.  What kind of Pelikan is that :drool:?

That is the Pelikan M620 Madrid, one of the Cities series. I borrowed the photo from John Mottishaw's website. The rest of the Cities series can be found on his website here. Of the pens in the series, I think that my favorites are the Chicago, the Madrid and Stockholm. They're ALL pretty neat, though!

TMann

Now for picking out the right red ink.......I know, totally separate thread, but if any of you red officianados have any suggestions....I'm all ears (eyes). There are a couple of Noodler's I'm looking at - "Red" (go figure), "Antietam", and "Widow Maker". I've also read good reviews of Waterman Red.

CF'mon, don't let me down.......make this an excruciating decision :D .

Thanks, as usual, Dean

My favorite red is Private Reserve Fiesta Red. A deep dark red, very stately and not to brash. A classy color, but not red enough for everyone. I keep mine in a Waterman Hemisphere Cognac - which is a nice match for the color of the ink! :D

Jim

post-4-1144903338_thumb.jpg

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

See, now you've done it..... you've made the ink selection exceedingly difficult :D , just like I hoped you would.

Red seems to be high on the list of colors with which one is never truly satisfied. I think red, more than many colors, is meant to convey some sort of extra meaning or emotion. Hence, one red cannot cover the spectrum needed for writing........You see where I'm going with this don't you? I think a couple of different reds are necessary.

Richard's description of the Noodler's "Antietam" being "sort of like a bloodstain" is very appropriate. The main purpose for this red pen and ink will be to edit/correct documents submitted by others. In the engineering business, we affectionately refer to that process as "bleeding all over" the document. My only question is, is it red enough to pass as red(ish) ink? If it looks too brown, then it may not pass the test of tradition (and practicality).

Thanks for the suggestions. I will wring my hands sufficiently over the next few days making the decision.................Hmmm, maybe a second red pen is in order to accommodate a different red ink. I like Kelly's recommendation of the Aurora Optima Red....... That is a beautiful pen. I can just see myself making a grand ceremony of editing someone's document whilst brandishing that beauty......good thing it's out of my price range for the "little red pen".

Cheers, Dean

Edited by Caboose

I'd call Pam and see if she has a red 1911 in stock, otherwise a Namiki VP with a fine nib and filled with PR Fiesta red makes for a nice editing pen.

Editing is a job for a f or xf nib in my book. . .

Though I prefer to use green for that job rather than red.

Thanks Chad. If it weren't for the gold furniture on the 1911, it may have made my list, especially since it would mean doing business with Pam Braun again (a real pleasure). But silver is a must for me. That is a hangup that I think I will have a hard time getting rid of.

I actually ordered the Bexley Submariner Red Pearl in a "F" nib. (that was the finest that was listed as an option). You're correct that finer is better for that job. Lot's of small writing in the margins. Our convention is red-out, green-in and blue-comments, but that's mostly true for drawings, not as much for written documents........although, you may be on to something. How can I possibly do my work without a green pen? :D ........Okay, off to start a new thread in my quest for the perfect green pen - filled with none other than Noodler's Gruene Cactus, of course!!

Thanks, Dean

Edited by Caboose

A fun thread. I have a much more downscale red pen on the way, an Estie J, and have been pondering red inks and have gotten some good recommendations thus far for a plain vanilla center spectrum red.

My favorite red pens that aren't Conway Stewarts ( :) ) is that Pelikan Madrid. Outside Chris' custom binde's the Madrid is far and away my favorite Pelikan (with the Berlin and Chicago coming in second). I love my "51"s but admit that my eye is getting drawn to interestng celluloid more and more since I received a vintage striped duofold.

Yes, that Madrid is most definitely going on the wish list!

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

Congratulations on your new Bexley. I'm sure you're going to love it!

My favorite red for editing is Private Reserve Dakota Red. It's that unmistakable "arrest me" red that demands attention - Think Porsche 911 Turbo.

I use it both to grade papers and to edit documents I'm drafting. It dries nicely and flows well. In my book, a great ink.

James P.

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

The Pelikan "Madrid" would have definitely been on my list - if not for that gold furniture. There must be a support group somewhere for those of us that have an aversion to gold :sick: . Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't appreciate the tastefullness of gold on pens, I see many pens with gold appurtenances that I think are very nice looking........ just not for me.

James, I like that Noodler's Dakota Red as well. It's on what used to be my short list (can't call it short anymore). As much as I want to go with an unconventional red like the Antietam, I may end up with something a little more conventional - like Dakota, Fiesta, Waterman Red, etc....... at least for this first red pen.

By the way, in case anyone was starting to think up answers to my quest for a green pen, feel free to keep thinking about it. I'm going to start a thread about that....might be fun, although probably hashed over pretty well around St. Patrick's Day. I'll search before starting that thread.

Thanks, Dean

There must be a support group somewhere for those of us that have an aversion to gold :sick: . Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't appreciate the tastefullness of gold on pens, I see many pens with gold appurtenances that I think are very nice looking........ just not for me.

HI Dean,

We are cut from the same cloth regarding this point! I, too, cannot deal (at all) with the gold - even my vintage have the silver/nickel/chrome furniture. I've been thrilled to see Pelikan finally getting into more silver each year..about the only place I can take the gold on an FP is the nib! :lol:

Let us know how you like the pen :) Also, maybe PRs Black Cherry could be nice, too - although my first choice would still be Fiesta Red - best of luck!

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. You're right, I don't mind some gold on the nib (only some)..... although I do prefer all silver there as well. What is it anyway? Have we just been overexposed to gold trim on things such as cars :sick: ? Funny thing is, I'm the same way about Oak wood. It was so overused in crappy furniture in the 80's that I can't appreciate it (for my own use), even on pieces with fine workmanship.

Anyway, not to polarize the population here (goldies vs. non-goldies). I'm not judging, just expressing my own personal preference.

Thanks, Dean

I hear you! The absolute lethal combo for me is honey oak and brass :sick: :huh: . It's ruined me forever and not in a good way. My parents house is still decorated like that in every room! Ahhhhhhh! I do like oak but it has to be the dark red cherry variety with either black or silver accents and preferrably Mission/Craftsman style.

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

Got the Bexley (Submariner - Red Pearl SE)!! Man, Richard must have flown it here himself - it got here so fast.

It is a nice writer. I ordered it with an "F" nib. It writes quite smoothly and not a hint of scratch or squeek. It doesn't seem quite as fine as my Pelikan "F". It lays down quite a bit wetter line than the Pelikan, so that may be why. Not that the Pel is stingy with ink, this just seems wetter. I inked it with Sheaffer Skrip blue for now.....couldn't wait for the Antietam I have ordered. That's the same ink I have in the Pelikan.

Anyway, it's a very attractive pen. Nice shine to the marbled red and the silver furniture really sets it off. The 2-tone (silver & gold) nib is very nice too - a bit larger than the Pel M620 and 625 nibs.

I'll try to do a better review after I have a chance to use it more.

Thanks again to all of you that helped with the decision....especially "Sis" ;) .

Cheers, Dean