Help me pick out a RED pen

Caboose

Okay, I'm set for my black pen (sort of) with the Pelikan "Chicago" armed with black ink. I'm also set for blue with my Pel M625, armed with blue ink........Now, I've discovered that I "need" a red pen. I do a fair amount of editing and marking up and would like to use a FP for this task.

I've thought about the Pelikans, and really wish I could find a red Pel that calls out to me, but the standard red pels just don't do it. Plus, I'm looking for silver furniture and that's a little more difficult to find with red.......seems like manufacturers like to pair red with gold.

I would like something with some heft, not necessarily large. I like the size of both my Pel 600-series, but I prefer the heft of the 625, due to the sterling cap (I write posted). I like understated design, nothing too "showy".

Any ideas ?:eureka:

Thanks, Dean

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caboose

• Kelly

• TMann

• James P

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depending on how "RED" your red must be, Visconti's Van Gogh in Sandal Red fits the bill. And it comes complete with silver furniture. It also comes in a "midi" size that, in my view, is ideally sized, weighted and balanced.

Here's an image for you:

http://www.peartreepens.com/vangoghfp.jpg

But I don't care how much you beg, you're not getting this one:

http://www.peartreepens.com/gemstonefp.jpg

Edited by James P

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

I got the Van Gogh Midi in blue from James P., and modified by Deb Kinney and I am ONE SATISFIED, HAPPY, JOYOUS, CUSTOMER

SAM

Hi Caboose,

I recommend 2:

1)Bexley's Sub SE Red Pearl by Richard Binder. I'm not sure if he has any left but the finish on this pen is luminous and slightly transparent. I have one and it's gorgeous and a great writer. www.richardspens.com - picture is from there, too

http://www.richardspens.com/images/sales/bexley/submariner_se.jpg

2)The second is a Stipula Duetto in red - check the Swisher Pen site

Usual disclaimer for both sites :) Let us know which red pen finds a new home with you!

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

All of those are cool. I'm not opposed to the "off-red" of the Visconti, infact, I kind of like that color, and it wouldn't be hard to remember that it contains the red ink. I was looking at Viscontis before I got turned on to the Pelikans. I might have to keep that one in mind...... who knows, maybe I can start doing my editing in something other than trasditional red........Noodler's here I come!

The DuPont is reallllly nice. However, a little out of my price range for my "little red pen". I'm not ruling out a DuPont placed laquer someday in the future though.

Now..... that Bexley has me interested. What's the size like? It looks like a similar size to the normal Pel 600's. I assume the weight is close as well since my gues is that it doesn't have a brass barrel.........right?

I like that pearly red look with the silver furniture. Worth doing a little shopping for methinks.

Thank you very much for all the suggestions..... I knew you guys would come through. Among the things you all are very good at is helping fellow FPN'ers spend their money :P

Cheers, Dean

I got interrupted while responding to your request, but I see that only the Submariner SE has been recommended so far from my list. So let me add:

- Bexley Americana i nRio Grande Red

- Aurora Optima Auroloid red

- Taccia Imperial Portuguese, Cranberry

- Any conwaw Stewart in Metero, Lava, Red Cherry, Crimson Blush, Red Stardust finishes (there are other reddish finishes too).

- Columbus scriba in Scarlet Fleck.

The list could go on and on :)

Hmmmm, the Conway Stewart "Dandy" in Flame Red looks appealing. There would be no doubt in the minds of those whose documents I was about to edit what color ink was about to be gracing their pages...... bwahahaha!!.

Oh man, so may fine choices. So far the Visconti looks to have the furniture that would provide the heft I'm looking for, but those Conway Stewart colors are hard to pass up. The again, that Bexley has the no-nonsense, simple elegance I like.

As far as nib quality goes (I know, this is very subjective), how do the Visconti, Bexley and Conway Stewart compare? Bexley and CS could be "Binderized", which is appealling as well.

Decisions, decisions...... Thanks again for the great suggestions!

Dean

Hmmmm, the Conway Stewart "Dandy" in Flame Red looks appealing. There would be no doubt in the minds of those whose documents I was about to edit what color ink was about to be gracing their pages...... bwahahaha!!.

Oh man, so may fine choices. So far the Visconti looks to have the furniture that would provide the heft I'm looking for, but those Conway Stewart colors are hard to pass up. The again, that Bexley has the no-nonsense, simple elegance I like.

As far as nib quality goes (I know, this is very subjective), how do the Visconti, Bexley and Conway Stewart compare? Bexley and CS could be "Binderized", which is appealling as well.

Decisions, decisions...... Thanks again for the great suggestions!

Dean

The Bexley has a alovely 18k nib with a little spring to it. I did have mine Binderized so it's pretty dreamy all the way around. It's lightweight like a Pel as you were correct in assuming as it has no metal barrel and the size is just right for my hand - both in length and in width. When I was deciding upon getting this pen or a Filcao, I made this post

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...xley+submariner

Within this tree, you'll find more picts of the Red Pearl from ChristopherH - really great shots that might help your decision :)

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

I know you said "silver furniture", but I can't resist suggesting the pen from this wonderful review:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=8211

:)

A doozy of a pen.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5544/tibuncapped.jpg

Photo by RichardS

Edited by chainwhip

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

The CS Dandy in Flame Red is a nice pen. But 99% of them come with gold furniture. They do come in Silver, but they're typically a special order item.

I have a Dandy in stock in Flame and it's really nice. Other colors to consider are Meteor and Lava.

I don't want to talk you out of any pen you are considering, but one other thing to consider about the Dandy is that it's a relatively small pen. And it doesn't have the heft of some of the other pens that have been mentioned.

Just some food for thought.

James P.

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Bexley Submariner SE Red Pearl from the esteemed Mr. Binder. I'm reasonably sure that this is the version with the silver furniture, but I've got an e-mail in to Richard to confirm this. I've read so many good things about the Bexleys, and felt like doing business with Richard Binder ,so that tipped the scales in favor of the Submariner.

I really, really appreciate the suggestions from all of you. They were all great, and a couple of them are put away for future consideration (That Visconti Van Gogh in Sandal Red is just BEGGING to be brought home and filled with something like Apache Sunset (or Cayenne............. or Habanero :blink: )).

Now for picking out the right red ink.......I know, totally separate thread, but if any of you red officianados have any suggestions....I'm all ears (eyes). There are a couple of Noodler's I'm looking at - "Red" (go figure), "Antietam", and "Widow Maker". I've also read good reviews of Waterman Red.

CF'mon, don't let me down.......make this an excruciating decision :D .

Thanks, as usual, Dean

Edited by Caboose

I think the red Auroloide Aurora Optima, already mentioned above, fits the decription well. I love mine!

Edit: I just saw you had already picked out your red pen. Oh well, in case you decide you need two, the Optima is what I'd recommend ;).

Edited by amin

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Bexley Submariner SE Red Pearl from the esteemed Mr. Binder. I'm reasonably sure that this is the version with the silver furniture, but I've got an e-mail in to Richard to confirm this. I've read so many good things about the Bexleys, and felt like doing business with Richard Binder ,so that tipped the scales in favor of the Submariner.

I really, really appreciate the suggestions from all of you. They were all great, and a couple of them are put away for future consideration (That Visconti Van Gogh in Sandal Red is just BEGGING to be brought home and filled with something like Apache Sunset (or Cayenne............. or Habanero :blink: )).

Now for picking out the right red ink.......I know, totally separate thread, but if any of you red officianados have any suggestions....I'm all ears (eyes). There are a couple of Noodler's I'm looking at - "Red" (go figure), "Antietam", and "Widow Maker". I've also read good reviews of Waterman Red.

CF'mon, don't let me down.......make this an excruciating decision :D .

Thanks, as usual, Dean

HI Dean,

I hope you'll be as thrilled with your Bexley Red Pearl as I am - people love the look of this pen and it has the added bonus of writing really well! As for the ink consideration, one of my favorite red inks is PR Fiesta Red - the Noodler Tiannamen is fairly close, too, and if you want something waterproof try Noodler/Swisher mix Devil Red on www.swisherpens.com (usual disclaimer here)

Just my 2 cents and enjoy your new purchases :D

There are a couple of Noodler's I'm looking at ... "Antietam"...

Antietam is a brownish red sort of like a bloodstain, not "red" at all. OTOH, if you want a vintage look, Antietam came about when Nathan found a 19th century ink bottle and reconstituted the dried ink in it. Nathan liked the color, and he named it after the bloodiest day on the North American continent. You can tell by the name that he's a Yankee -- a son of the South would have called it Sharpsburg. OTOH, that's not as memorable, is it, since the winners wrote the history... maybe Little Mac's Last Stand. :)

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Here are some more options:

1. Cross Apogee

http://www.penherostore.com/catalog/ApogeeRed.jpg

2. Cross Verve

http://www.penherostore.com/catalog/VerveMerlotFP.jpg

3. Sailor 1911M

http://www.parkvillepen.com/images/1911m.jpg

Hey this is fun! It's a lot easier to shop with other people's money than it is with one's own... :D

TMann

I'll second the recommendation for Noodlers/Swishers Devil Red - a nice, true red that has the added bonus of being waterproof. Noodlers Ottoman Rose is also quite nice.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)