Pelikan M400 vs M600

lurcho

I'd just like to ask those who have tried both pens whether there is much of a difference in general feel, weight, etc., and in nib "quality"/springiness/wetness (etc.) between these two models.

I should say that I haven't owned either, but I have a M250, which I understand to be identical in size to the M400, but I fancy a slightly larger pen. My Binderized M800 is the best writer I have ever used, but is too large, really, for my hand.

Thanks for any input.

Edited by lurcho

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• andyk

• bphollin

• rpwage

• HBlaine

If you feel that m400 too small and m800 too large for you.

Then m600 suit you the best.

Im one of them too......sadly.

WhatsApp me at +65 93682205 For Faster Reply

http://goo.gl/GAvll Classified Sales in FPN

http://stores.ebay.com/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store USA

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store UK

Old Sale Thread with Feedbacks From Customers.

Lurcho, I had a M215 until I sold it to buy a M600. The 600 is only slightly longer than the 200/215/400, but it is wider. Those slight details make it overall a much more comfortable pen for my hand. I have yet to try a M800 because I find the 600 to be so pleasing.

All best,

Hi,

I have several M200s and M400s plus a couple of M600s (3 if you include an old style one which is the same size as the M400), whilst I love them all, I think the M600 is pretty much the perfect size (I use an M800 as well, but the M600s get more use).

No real difference in my opinion on the way they write, just the size and overall feel.

Might be helpful to try one before you buy just to see the difference.

Andy

Edited by andyk

I have a few pens in the M2xx line, an M400 and an M605. The M2xx/4xx pens are my preferred size and weight. The M605 is slightly bigger. It's a bit bigger than I like, but still reasonably comfortable for me. It's lightweight for its size, I think.

The M605 medium nib, is the broadest, wettest nib I have on any of my Pelikans (which are mostly fine and medium). I don't know if that's consistent for all M6xx nibs, though. I don't notice any particular spring in any of my Pelikan nibs, but I have a very light touch and that's not something I look for.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer, (1820-1903) British author, economist, philosopher.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have an M200, an M600, M800, and my wife has an M605. Personally for a pen to carry about, I would prefer the M600. It's piston filler holds quite a bit of ink and I like the size over the M200 without too much extra weight. However, for a great writing experience I like the tactile feeling I get from writing with the M800. The M800 transmits a great feel whilst writing.

I think whichever pen you get, you will like it. My M200, which I think is about the same size as the M400, is a fun pen too. It's light, easy to carry, and a pleasure to use.

The M 400 holds a lot of ink and some claim it holds as much as the 600 and the 800.

My M 420 has a Mottishaw italic nib fashioned from a 18-k BB M650 nib unit.

This give me the best of all worlds. I heartily recommend this combination as the ultimate Pelikan.

(The M 420 is the black resin with the sterling silver cap.)

Solitaire

I have both a 400 and a 600. My hands are small, but I still prefer, size-wise, the 600. Both are built to the same excellent standards, both are constructed of the same light weight materials, and both have equally excellent nibs. The 400 is just slightly undersize IMO, I'd prefer the 600.

Also, if you are considering a matching ball point or pencil down the road, the 600 series has elegant twist mechanisms; the 400 series had somewhat cheap looking black push botton.

Bob

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

I'd just like to ask those who have tried both pens whether there is much of a difference in general feel, weight, etc., and in nib "quality"/springiness/wetness (etc.) between these two models.

I should say that I haven't owned either, but I have a M250, which I understand to be identical in size to the M400, but I fancy a slightly larger pen. My Binderized M800 is the best writer I have ever used, but is too large, really, for my hand.

Thanks for any input.

I think you will find the M400 a bit too short if you have already used an M800. I finally settled on the M600, bought three if them in case they quit making them.

don

Letter writing is the only device for combining

solitude with good company.

I have a M650 and 2 M400. M650 is essentially the same pen as M600 except for the Vermil cap and 18k nib insstead of 14k.

Weight wise I cant really tell the difference but the slightly larger size of M600 gives a better hold.

Nib wise apart from being slightly larger, the M600 nibs should be the same as M400 nibs.

I have a couple of 400's and my husband has a 605. I have small hands and find the 400 more comfortable, but really, the 605 unposted is just fine too. I think a 600 sounds perfect for you. It's not substantially heavier, does feel a bit larger. The nib on his 605 is definitely larger, but I can't recall if it's 18K as opposed to 14K on the 400. I do remember thinking it felt just a bit springier. I haven't been able to get my hands on it for a while, though. He seems to gaurd it rather jealously. :roflmho:

Since you "fancy a slightly larger pen" than your M250 and your M800 is too large for your hands .... guess what? Your are the exact person Pelikan designed the M600 for. :D

Edited by PenFisher

Since you "fancy a slightly larger pen" than your M250 and your M800 is too large for your hands .... guess what? Your are the exact person Pelikan designed the M600 for. :D

I like the 600 not because the 800 is too large but because it is too heavy. More specifically, I find its weight distribution unbalanced.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I like the 600 not because the 800 is too large but because it is too heavy. More specifically, I find its weight distribution unbalanced.

I actually got an M620 Grand Place for its look alone. When I finally received it I found it was too small and way too light. Still it was too beautiful not to use. Now after close to a year of use I can say I love that pen. I certainly stilll enjoy, own (and buy) larger pen. But like you I find the weight and balance of the M600 is exceptionnal.

Edited by JFT

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

I really wanted to like the 600, because by pen dimensions alone it should be the ideal pen for me. I had three different ones before I got it through my thick head that this pen and I were not going to work out.

The grip section gave the feel of being too short for me, forcing my fingers onto the cap threads. I did not have this problem with the 800, but as others have said I found that pen to be too heavy. I mentioned this one day on Pentrace, and it was pointed out to me that the grip sections of the 600 and 800 are of similar length. It was the difference in nib size that was causing my trouble. I was used to holding my fingers a certain distance from the page. The shorter 600 nib was forcing me to grip higher, on the threads, to maintain the same distance from the page as I wrote.

I have stayed with vintage 400s for two reasons: the pen fits my hand, and I like the vintage nibs much better than the modern.

If you can try one before you buy, that would be good. If not, and you find you don't like it, you will have no trouble finding someone to buy this excellent pen from you!

I know I am picky, I like the diameter of the M400 but want a longer pen! I think an M800 is too thick.

I was really thinking of getting an M800 but now that I've handled both, I'm leaning more toward an M600. The M800 has the same problem for me as my Danitrio Cum Laude, in that the section is that bit too wide for my grip and it feels really awkward.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• 2 weeks later...

I have both the M400 and M600. When I first got into fountain pens I purchased a 600 because it seemed to fit my hand and had balance. My hands are large. However, after I began to hone my writing skills, I began to prefer the 400. When writing, due to its size, the 400 is agile and responsive. This may be the reason for the small size of vintage pens. Performance mattered. The vintage pens, with their size and springy nibs, in my opinion, are unparalleled. Example: the 100N.

I know I am picky, I like the diameter of the M400 but want a longer pen! I think an M800 is too thick.

Paul, have you thought about a 100N? They're shorter than the 400 capped, but posted they're a bit longer. And they have excellent balance & handling.

"Here was a man who had said, with his wan smile, that once he realized that he would never be a protagonist, he decided to become, instead, an intelligent spectator, for there was no point in writing without serious motivation." - Casaubon referring to Belbo, Foucault's Pendulum.