SUMGAI or sucker?

French

Last night I won a new used Parker "51" on ebay. I paid $28 including shipping, and I guess I'll find out if I am able to join the ranks of SUMGAI or if I bought a project for Richard :o

Here is the link to the auction:

http://tinyurl.com/mee55

let me know what people think from the limited information on the item

thanks,

French

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• French

• JimStrutton

• KCat

• Kelly

My question would be "does it come with a nib?" Although, in town I saw either a Parker or Parker wannabe at a shop, no innards for 36$. I wouldn't pay that, but then, there is something wrong with me. I have not written with one, but Parker's design does not call to me *at all*. I don't know why. I figure I should really want one because everyone seems to love them. Hmmmm. What is my problem?

Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

I hope that you have got a good "51" Aerometric in Teal Blue that needs nothing more than a flushing.

I have bought them like that before, the picture is dire, the description is vague mainly because the seller can't be bothered.

I hope that you have got a bargain.

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

I have not written with one, but Parker's design does not call to me *at all*. I don't know why. I figure I should really want one because everyone seems to love them. Hmmmm. What is my problem?

we're a rare lot but there are a few of us here, chupie, that just don't "get it". I'm sure they are excellent pens and like my addiction to Pelikan, I'm sure the attraction is justified for those who are similarly addicted. they're just tooo zzzzzzzzz for me.

somewhere I've babbled about this before. :) at least on two occasions - one relatively recently.

French, good luck on the purchase. Knowing next to nothing about these things I can't offer anything but good wishes. Let us know how it turns out.

Best,

KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Chupie and KCat,

I'm really not a "51" hooded nib kind of guy myself, but since lots of people seem to rave about them, I figured for less than $30, I should check one out myself. I figure worst case I'll be putting it up on the marketplace in a few weeks and trying to recoup some of the purchase price, best case I'll have a pen I love writing with.

french

Chupie and KCat,

I'm really not a "51" hooded nib kind of guy myself, but since lots of people seem to rave about them, I figured for less than $30, I should check one out myself. I figure worst case I'll be putting it up on the marketplace in a few weeks and trying to recoup some of the purchase price, best case I'll have a pen I love writing with.

french

oh, i definitely think it's worth trying. It might be that some day I actually *hold* one in my hand and decide I was a fool all these years. :) So my opinion is only based on my lack of visceral response to what's on the screens and in the magazines.

and probably someday I will try one as well. Probably in a similar manner to what you're doing.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Chances are you will be neither a Sumgai nor a sucker. If you are simply looking for a working "51" in decent condition for under $50, they come along quite frequently on the Pentrace Market Board. Much safer bet than a blurry Ebay pic. On the other hand, buying a blurry Ebay pen has the potential for sumgaidom. Good luck!

Take heart in the fact that the seller has over 2,000 feedback with a 100 rating. That's not so common with so many feedbacks. Tells me the seller tries to please so you should be safe!!!! If the pen is no good, a seller with a rating like this will take back usually.

Good luck

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

I have not written with one, but Parker's design does not call to me *at all*.  I don't know why. I figure I should really want one because everyone seems to love them. Hmmmm. What is my problem?

we're a rare lot but there are a few of us here, chupie, that just don't "get it". I'm sure they are excellent pens and like my addiction to Pelikan, I'm sure the attraction is justified for those who are similarly addicted. they're just tooo zzzzzzzzz for me.

somewhere I've babbled about this before. :) at least on two occasions - one relatively recently.

French, good luck on the purchase. Knowing next to nothing about these things I can't offer anything but good wishes. Let us know how it turns out.

Best,

KCat

Add me to the list! I remember remarking to a recent post of KCat's regarding this...I just don't get it and was soooo glad to see that I was not alone. Surely there must be more of us ;) :ph34r: :roflmho:

Best of luck to you on this purchase, French :D They guy has some good feedback so fingers and toes crossed!! Give us the update once it arrives!

Edited by Kelly

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

Hope it's a good buy!

They're great writers.

I love 'em.

I've gotten more good buys from fuzzy pictures than bad.....

The Parker "51" is not a striking pen - I imagine that's why they glitzed them up with blue diamonds and jewels and such. The pen sans cap could probably be used as a sleeping pill alternative. I say this as an owner of a fancy blue diamoned, jeweled vac and a plain Jane burgandy aero. As boring as the pen my appear, I find these to be two of the best performing pens I've owned, and they find their way to the top of my rotation quite often. They don't draw attention (I imagine myself a secret FP user when I'm sitting in a meeting using one - no one know's I'm having a blast laying down my lines while they grind away tedious letter after tedious letter with their ballpoints). Definitely worth at least a try if you haven't used one!

Hi Chupie and KCat,

Last Sunday afternoon was cold and damp here in South West England so I sat down for a while and watched a rerun of Field of Dreams. If you have not seen this film then a quick Google will update you on the plot. But basically it is about having faith. Those who had faith could see the baseball players, whilst the skeptics could not.

It is the same as with the "51", you either have faith and you get it or else it just passes you buy.

I must admit that I have the same reaction to the Pelikan, I have tried a couple of newer ones and I just don't get it :blink: Rick Propas has tried to get me to buy a vintage and in the end I did, trouble was it was another vintage Parker "51" :doh:

So the "51" is like that, in the end you have to shut your eyes, ignore the pocket or purse jewelry aspects, and just see how it writes. In the end you should judge a pen by how it writes not by how it looks. The plainest Black Aero "51" that cost me £19 on eBay writes as well as my 1950 "51" Flighter that cost me a lot more.

Shut your eyes and take the plunge, who knows it may give you a whole new experience :D

Jim

Certified "51" nut and Proud Of IT !!

edit 'cos I can't spill

Edited by JimStrutton

Obi Won WD40

Jim - I'm with you. I am in the camp of Pelikan heretics that have added around 4 Pelikans to my collection only to have them move along to the sale board. I can't describe why they don't do it for me. Meanwhile I have 2 "51"s, a 21 and am targeting a few more.

While we share a mutual Pelikan issue I do not think there is a more polarizing pen design than the "51" and it's progeny.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

I have not written with one, but Parker's design does not call to me *at all*.  I don't know why. I figure I should really want one because everyone seems to love them. Hmmmm. What is my problem?

Best,

KCat

Add me to the list! I remember remarking to a recent post of KCat's regarding this...I just don't get it and was soooo glad to see that I was not alone. Surely there must be more of us ;) :ph34r: :roflmho:

Best of luck to you on this purchase, French :D They guy has some good feedback so fingers and toes crossed!! Give us the update once it arrives!

Add me to the list also.

Hope the pen turns out to be a great one! Let us know.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Well, I'm neither SUMGAI nor sucker. However, I did learn that even in person, hooded nibs aren't for me. The pen is a nice writer, and is in good shape considering it is a vintage pen. I like the way it writes, it puts down a fairly wet line, but...and this is a HUGE "but" I'm just not excited about the hooded nib :(

I can understand why the "51" is such a popular pen, but it just isn't for me.

french

Since I love hooded pens, like my Lamy 2000, I should like the 51. Perhaps the nib looked more primitive, until I asked Jim Strutton about his avatar pic because I like the nib and couldn't belive it's a 51!

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Well, I'm neither SUMGAI nor sucker. However, I did learn that even in person, hooded nibs aren't for me. The pen is a nice writer, and is in good shape considering it is a vintage pen. I like the way it writes, it puts down a fairly wet line, but...and this is a HUGE "but" I'm just not excited about the hooded nib :(

I can understand why the "51" is such a popular pen, but it just isn't for me.

french

Hmm,

Looks like I need to get the electric shock equipment out again :ph34r:

May I make a suggestion French? Keep the "51" in your rotation for a bit, they can take a while to get used to. Leave it uncapped lying around for a while, you will be surprised that it still writes when you pick it up. Don't do 'serious' writing just scribble notes and shopping lists etc, in fact use it how you would maybe use a ballpoint whatever that is :blink:

You never know it might grow on you :D

Jim

Obi Won WD40