The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Danitrio Densho

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mava

mava

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 00:28

Danitrio Densho (Tame-nuri | Mt. Horai Maki-e)

First Impression

Whereas the Danitrio Mikado is the gentle giant, the Densho is the svelte athlete. Sharing the same filling mechanism as the Mikado is the Densho. Is it a smaller scale version of it’s big brother or something entirely different, excelling and finding a niche in a big man’s world?

Appearance – (10/10)

What we have here are two specimens of the same instrument. The Densho’s are tame-nuri and its brother clothed in the Mt. Horai Maki-e. Identical pens, they illustrate the vast flexibility of Danitrio designs.

While the tame-nuri could be considered a workhorse layered in it’s urushi skin, the Mt. Horai shares the same genes but presents itself in royalty with gold powders and the detail that only a true maki-e artist can perform.

Slightly longer than the Takumi and Octagon, the Densho also sports a thinner barrel diameter. Side by side comparisons illustrate very subtle variances but upon closer look the presence of the eye dropper shutoff valve is the signature characteristic.

Easier to handle because of its narrower diameter, the Densho is the quick and agile athlete. Think Shaq as the Mikado and Kobe as the Densho …

Nib – (9/10)

The Densho shares the same nib as it’s other siblings: Takumi and Octagon. Out of the box, the writing experience is what I expected from Danitrio; juicy, wet writers with smooth writing characteristics. Danitrio nibs are typical western sized – fine is generally a broader fine, narrow medium and I’ve experienced similar properties from the rest of their nib lineup.

The Tamenuri is outfitted with a juicy extra fine flex and the Mt. Horai with the fine flex. Although my writing style doesn’t do flex nibs justice, I do like the variability in line draw you achieve with light, to moderate to heavy pressure.

The feed provides dependable ink delivery with no skipping even with my high angle, unorthodox left-handed, over writing position. (say that fast 3 times!)

** Note: As previously suggested, it’s always a good idea to flush your nibs/feeds before inking. This ensures that any remaining oils from the manufacturing process are removed ensuring consistent ink delivery. I make it a point to flush the pens with water and soap before I ink any new pen.

Filing System – (10/10)

No complicated filling systems or multiple parts to disassemble for cleaning, etc. The Densho uses a very large capacity eye-dropper mechanism.

It’s no surprise that I prefer the eye dropper mechanism over others. Its simplicity speaks volumes; form over function is the name of the game here.

Cost and Value – (10/10)

Slotted in price between the Mikado and Takumi and around the same or slightly lower than the Octagon, I find the true value of the Densho in being Danitrio’s least expensive entry into their eye dropper line.

The hand artistry of maki-e changes the price point significantly while the tame-nuri finish is divine.

The properties of urushi to the touch when writing are 2nd only to another hand holding your own. It’s a wonderful combination.

Conclusion – (39/40)

The Densho holds its own against its siblings. Uniquely positioned to share the same DNA as the Mikado it does so with its own style. It doesn’t claim to be something it’s not. They are fine instruments that puts a smile on my face every time I use them.

Sponsored Content

#2 blopplop

blopplop

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 00:37

mava,

Stunning pens and excellent review and photo's. I have a jet black Urushi Densho and it is my favorite pen.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Dave
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

Posted Image

#3 ianmedium

ianmedium

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:16

wonderful pens and I am in awe of your photography skills!
Beautiful, beautiful!
All the best.
Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Incoming: Parker 51 Vac

#4 mava

mava

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:36

Thank you folks! The Densho is an awesome pen. Different enough in character to it's siblings yet certainly shares the same DNA. I love my Japanese pens.

#5 Joehek

Joehek

Joehek

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:29

Great review Mac! I have been eyeing a Densho and this should send me over the edge!

#6 Peter from Sherwood Park

Peter from Sherwood Park

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,973 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:31

Thank you for this -- these are remarkable pens,

#7 blopplop

blopplop

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,203 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:34

QUOTE (Joehek @ Mar 7 2009, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great review Mac! I have been eyeing a Densho and this should send me over the edge!

Well, if I may be so bold as to offer another gentle nudge. vbg.gif

The Densho is simply marvelous. Not only is it pleasing to the eye, but the feel of the pen is equally as pleasing. To me, it's the perfect pen for long writing sessions; which is exactly what I use mine for.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

Posted Image

#8 devjeethensh

devjeethensh

Thinker .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:43

FANTABLOUS (Fantastic + Fablous) review and superb pictures .....

I have been drooling over these Urushi and Makie-e Danis for some time now . All i could afford was the Raw Ebonite models and after a long hunt i finally managed to score a Raw Ebonite Densho (with the help of a very helpful friend , a FPNer in US) . The combination of the superb ED system and excellent nib makes the Densho a complete value for money (irrespective of whether it's a RE or a Urushi model) . Now, i am eagerly awaiting the Densho's delivery .

Any chance of a writing sample ?

regards,

Dev.

#9 Joehek

Joehek

Joehek

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 14:11

QUOTE (blopplop @ Mar 6 2009, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Joehek @ Mar 7 2009, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, if I may be so bold as to offer another gentle nudge. vbg.gif

The Densho is simply marvelous. Not only is it pleasing to the eye, but the feel of the pen is equally as pleasing. To me, it's the perfect pen for long writing sessions; which is exactly what I use mine for.

Dave

Nudge accepted Dave, let's see if I can pull it off next week. thumbup.gif

#10 John Cullen

John Cullen

John Cullen

• Member - Gold

• 1,867 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 14:17

Beautiful. If I did not already have one I would go out and buy one. One of the many wonderful benefits of this forum is the excellent photography. Thank you for this thoughtful review. J

#11 mava

mava

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 14:38

Thanks folks for your comments. Writing sample can be provided however as a left-handed overwriter who rotates the nib clockwise approx. 130 degrees, I effectively have the opposite line variation that a traditional underwriter would do.

I echo blopplop's comments; this is a great long writing-session pen.

All Danitrio's are lightweight due to the ebonite cnstruction. This model in particular is lighter than it's similar-sized siblings because of the absence of any metal/mechanical parts; eyedroppers make it efficient and light compared to cartridge/converters or pistons.

You can't go wrong with any Danitrio IMHO; the Densho is just one of many flavors they offer. Raw, urushi, maki-e... choose your poison! thumbup.gif

#12 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Premium - Ruby

• 2,676 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:58

Great review of the Densho and appreciate the comparison pics with the Mikado....

I know it's been several years since you did the review....would be interested to hear if you still use these pens and have any other comments about them now?

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Current Pens: Cross, Delta, Montegrappa, Parker, Wahl-Eversharp

#13 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 19:55

Nice, loving review. My Densho (raw ebonite, stub) is one of my favourite pens exactly for the points mentioned here.

#14 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 985 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:52

Wow. Wow

#15 rudyhou

rudyhou

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:01

very nice Posted Image im envious.
-rudy-

#16 marie9999

marie9999

Rare

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:28

wonderful pens and I am in awe of your photography skills!
Beautiful, beautiful!

+1 - Thanks for this outstanding review!

#17 leod

leod

Inksane

• Member - Gold

• 1,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 19:39

very pretty pics of beautiful pens!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

#18 bdk

bdk

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 20:54

I am considering a Nakaya or Danitrio as a present to myself for my birthday (a present for which I've been saving up quite some time ;) ).
Pictures at, for example, nibs.com really don't do justice to the Urushi pens. Your excellent photography does and I think I have decided now (or at least, I'm quite close to a decision...)
What a beauty. Stunning.

All the best to you and may you use this nibs to write for very long in great joy!

Would you be so kind to pm me as to where have you bought your pen, and for what price?

Poetry I write: http://eendichter.nl (mostly english, occasional dutch)

Sponsored Content

|