Follow-up thread on ketan889 & therealketan

Admin

Just make sure you send the tracking confirmation number to everybody involved, including the admin team, so we can really see that things are moving.

Thanks in advance,

regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ketangeorgiatech

• wimg

• garythepenman

Guest Denis Richard
Attilio, I will look out for that package and simply mark it return to sender once it arrives.  Can you PM me an ETA?

So you have no idea whos address this is?

1225 Lincoln Court Ave

Atlanta, GA 30329

This kind of information can bve found in public records (check for example http://www.reverseaddress.com/).

I am going to throw my two cents in here...

I don't claim to have any great wisdom about network security and the ability to impersonate another person online. I'll leave that to someone else. However, I will relate an experience I had while living in an apartment complex in California.

Someone at the complex, (who was later caught,) was going through the trash, stealing credit card bills, and then using that information to purchase items for himself. His method was to order something from a catalog, or television shopping network, and to have the package delivered in the credit card owners name, but to his apartment. So instead of the package going to apartment "121" where I lived it would go to apartment "128" where he lived. The package would be left by his door, and I'd never see it. We ended up catching him when the apartment manager left the package with my name on it, by my apartment, even though the apartment number was wrong. He eventually was arrested by the police after enough evidence was collected.

The reason that I write this is that it IS conceivable that Ketan's network could have been broken into, and that someone else was posing as him. Think about it...if Ketan were really wanting to scam a bunch of people on this site, you'd think that he would have just SOLD a bunch of pens here and then disappeared with the money. One would have to be REALLY stupid to set up trades for pens, and then have the items sent to ones home. It wouldn't be that hard for the police to find the perpetrator...

Thus at this point, I am going to give Ketan the benefit of the doubt, pending the safe return of my items. I have no intention of ever trading/selling/buying a pen from him; I'm not THAT trusting. But I think that it would be very hard to prove that it was the real Ketan, not someone using his network that accounted for all of the malicious activity.

It might be time to just move on and let this mess go away...

TMann

Edited by TMann

Tmann,

I agree, if I get my stuff back I'd be happy.

Gary

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

This is what I traded with you for a Lamy 2000 that I have never received. I mailed the package a week ago.

-Private Reserve-

Spearmint, Buttercup, Burgandy Mist, Black Cherry

Noodlers-

Nightshade

J. Herbin-

Encre Vert Olive

Conway Stewart-

Turquoise

Omas-

Vespucci Red

Ketan said that the package would be in the mail. Course that is what he said about the pen that he was supposed to ship!!!!!!!!!!! I will see.

I am inclined to agree with TMann as to the possibility that the Ketan returning everything is innocent of wrong doing. But that leaves someone who isn't, and I'm thinking that whether he did this or not, it might be wise to follow up with an investigation. I would suggest that if anyone did send a package with delivery confirmation requiring a signature that they should let the FPN admin know. The postal service may be able to use the signature as a way to exonerate Ketan and perhaps give some sort of lead as to how in the world someone who stole his identity also managed to be at the place of delivery to sign for the packages. TMann, I agree with you also about giving people second chances, but I would qualify that such graces ought be extended to those who ask for it. Ketan has not, and has instead maintained innocence, which would signal to me a need to pursue an investigation - and I would think that he would want one done as well if he is innocent.

Thanks for the positive input guys.

I have sent off the majority of the packages, everything but two of them, because they are too big/international for the automated service.

I will be sending out PM's or emails with tracking info in the next hour to you and to the admin.

I have already contacted FedEx and UPS to see all packages that were delivered here and to view the signatures.

I would appreciate it if anyone did send things with these services, if they could give me tracking info/numbers.

Thanks guys.

I really appreciate it.

PM's sent to everyone with shipping info except Michael(couldn't find your sn).

Edited by ketangeorgiatech

I have sent off the majority of the packages, everything but two of them, because they are too big/international for the automated service.

Shipping on a Sunday?

I have already contacted FedEx and UPS to see all packages that were delivered here and to view the signatures.

I would appreciate it if anyone did send things with these services, if they could give me tracking info/numbers.

Sounds fishy to me, all I lost was some letter head I made for the guy and sent out on Monday. No biggie,

Angel

Edited by Angelo Bedolla

Shipping on a Sunday?

Angel

Actually I do it all of the time. You can go online, either with a CC or PayPal, print and pay for postage and then drop the packages at a USPS drop box. With a CC I can do it at the post office next door to my business 24/7. They have a machine, you weigh the package purchase postage put it on and drop it in the box! Both are great services. I haven't stood in a post office line for over a year. Online you can even do the customs forms for international shipments!

Jim

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

Hi Angelo,

The admin team received a mail with USPS tracking numbers, so we'll just have to check them in a while whether they are real. It is too early to say right now.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Yeesh! One weekend of not logging on and this big commotion :o My gosh, I almost got duped too. Here's part of the conversation I had with the guy. I kept getting so many offers from him. This was the last PM I received.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, don't feel bad Betty, I know you are trying hard. I hope you luck in raising funds for the Circus, but if you by some chance can't sell the pen, do keep me in mind. Thanks so much!

-Ketan

Hi Ketan,

I feel so bad and really want to do a trade with you, but I guess right now, I'm looking more for either money or a trade for the Circus pen I want so badly. Hope we will be able to trade for some other item in the future

Bety

Hey Betty,

Last try on my part, I promise, lol.

Anyway, here is a list of the pens I have that I am willing to trade, maybe something from here will catch your fancy for that M405.

Please do let me know.

Trade List:

Densho Medium

Parker 51 SE Black

Parker 100 Brown and Gold

Parker Vector F/M

Pilot VP blue/rhodium Medium

Namiki VP Green/Silver Broad

Pelikan M200 Blue Medium

Pelikan m200 Amber Medium

Pelikan Go Medium Black

Sheaffer Triumph Imperial Broad

Sheaffer NoNonsense Vintage Medium

Sheaffer Prelude Medium

Sheaffer Lifetime Balance Fine

Sheaffer School pen Fine

MonteVerde Invincia Tartanian Medium

Waterman Phileas Fine Black

Waterman Hemisphere set

Lamy Al-Star Fine

Lamy Safari Grey 1.1 Italic

Lamy Safari Charcoal Fine

Cross Apogee Fine slight italic

Cross Solo Green Fine

Cross Solo Red Fine

Rotring Core FP

Hero 329 XF

Wing Sung XF

Reform Piston Med

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Anyway, here is a list of the pens I have that I am willing to trade, maybe something from here will catch your fancy for that M405...

Hmm, some of the pens on that list look very familiar!

Jim

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

Attilio, I will look out for that package and simply mark it return to sender once it arrives. Can you PM me an ETA?

ketan, i sent the pen on Monday, April 3. Cost me $6 Canadian. I don't kknow how long it would take to get there.

Ok, I'm not sure how long it would take either. Hopefully it didn't already arrive sometime last week, because its not in this box.

However, I will keep an eye out for it over the next couple days and keep you informed. Thanks for the info.

Fortunately I didn't send any pens or other goods to the imposter, but I *did* send a PayPal payment for a Lamy Safari that I have been running to the mailbox everyday for... :( The PayPal refund for the correct amount is pending as we speak, so as soon as that is resolved I will be satisfied.

I am sorry all this happened to everybody, and I believe that the "real" Ketan is innocent, or he wouldn't be trying so hard to set this right. This is a big lesson for everybody - I know that I use the same password for way too many sites myself. If somebody found it out, I would be doomed! Hopefully everything gets straightened out and they find out who the guilty one is. The sooner it is settled, the better.

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

I believe that the "real" Ketan is innocent, or he wouldn't be trying so hard to set this right.

I do not know the "real" Ketan, or even if his name is Ketan at all, but I am less sanguine about his honesty than you are. Please forgive my cynicism, but I suspect that the perpetrator simply got cold feet when he realized that he faced serious time in a federal prison and is desperately trying to avoid that fate by pretending innocence.

I have no dog in this particular fight, but I hope those who do will pursue the culprit, whoever that may turn out to be, with the full force of the law instead of letting that person escape just because they have their money and/or pens back. (If the "real" Ketan should turn out not to be the perpetrator, then that criminal is still out there and in a position to do it again -- if not to pen collectors, to someone else who doesn't deserve it any more than those here do.) Stamp collecting is dying because collectors didn't show an iron fist to third-world counterfeiters. Coin collecting will probably be next. I don't want this kind of criminal activity to destroy pen collecting, and the only way to prevent that is to make it clear to anyone considering it that he or she will inevitably be sent up the creek without a paddle.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

I agree Richard. I do not have a stake in this fight, luckily for Ketan or the realketan, I wouldn't be so forgiving. I don't like being lied to, if you asked my kids what is the most important thing they have learned from me they would tell you it would be to tell the truth.

We as a forum were lied to. We as a forum were defrauded. I am hopeful everyone will get their goods and monies back.

I would still like to see everyone go through with a postal investigation if only to clear ketan if he truely is innocent. If they can find out who did this and it wasn't Ketan then he would be able to again earn our respect and trust... in my opinion two of the most valuable things a person can posess.

If Ketan is innocent, we need to prove who was guilty... I urge you all to go forward with an investigation so we may 1) find the guilty party and make them pay the price for their deeds and 2) to clear Ketans name if he is innocent.

For what is worth, I got a reimbursement on my shipping expenses for the ink I sent him. Some of the loss has been recouped on that one.

I also got a tracking number that I will only find out if it is valid when the Postal Office scans it, as 04140987442006018282 has not been scanned yet.