Follow-up thread on ketan889 & therealketan

Admin

Hey Ketan, the real Ketan..thanks for really working hard on this. I'm so glad you have my pens.

I would suggest you hang on to them until we and especially the admin team can sort it out. If you hand them over to USPS we may never see them again.

Thanks

Gary

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ketangeorgiatech

• wimg

• garythepenman

• fountainhead

Also, in regards to if I did or possibly did suffer identity theft.

My theory is that the person who hacked into my gmail and paypal account could have just as easily hacked into my remoteadmin account or my wireless network. The passwords were all the same, so he could have had access to everything.

I agree Gary.

I didn't want to go to USPS for that reason, or to the Police. I however, DO NOT have a problem doing so, if that is the only way I will be clear of this.

If I go to either of these sources, they will most probably want all of these items in their control which means quite some delay in it getting returned to their rightful owners. I proposed either someone sending me a list of what belongs to who based on the pictures I provided admin and providing me mailing addresses. I will get every single one of these pens out of my house on Monday morning so this can be done and over with. If that does not sound appealing, I have no problem packing everything into one big box and sending it to an administrator who can sort through the items him/her self and get them to their rightful owners.

The admin team has said for me to gather everyone's info and start mailing everything out. I will be getting things out ASAP!

Can everyone please PM me with a list of everything they sent as well as their mailing address?

Some of you already did this, but could you please all do it one more time, so I can get one big list and try to get everything mailed out on Monday morning. I appreciate it.

I sent to Ketan:

Noodler's Midnight Blue

Noodler's Red-Black

Pelikan Blue Black

JHerbin Vert Olive

and a few ink samples.

Delivery was confirmed as received:

Label/Receipt Number: 0103 8555 7497 0978 8299

Your item arrived at 10:03 am on April 03, 2006 in ATLANTA, GA 30319.

If "ketan889" and "therealkatan" were the same person. How do you know that "ketangeorgiatech" is not also that same person?

The whole thing smells very fishy to me.

Bob

I am not satisfied with just getting my stuff back. A FELONY was committed here. Let me say it again. A FELONY was committed using the FPN. At the very least each and every one of us should have our shipping costs refunded in full by the person we shipped to. IF that happens I am willing to forgive this time and let this person off with an expensive life lesson. Otherwise we can present the evidence to the FBI and let them decide who committed this FELONY.

regards

If "ketan889" and "therealkatan" were the same person. How do you know that "ketangeorgiatech" is not also that same person?

The whole thing smells very fishy to me.

Bob

He is that same person.

regards

I suggest that everyone take a deep breath and consider that whoever did this committed a serious crime. A felony. We know that the SAME IP address was used. We know that this person signed for packages and we know that now everything mysteriously showed up on this person's doorstep. We also know that the "hacker" had a very good knowledge of Fountain Pens in addition to his extraordinary hacking abilities. It does not add up. We were ripped off and now this person is trying to repair the damage of a plan gone badly wrong. I am willing to let it be an expensive life lesson for this misguided person if I am made 100% whole. And all of you should demand to be made 100% whole as well or else get the FBI involved as they properly should be at this point.

regards

I suggest that everyone take a deep breath and consider that whoever did this committed a serious crime. A felony.

Yes, indeed the serious crime was committed.

We know that the SAME IP address was used. We know that this person signed for packages and we know that now everything mysteriously showed up on this person's doorstep.

The story is totally unbelievable. I can't believe some people are buying it. Please think it thru.

And all of you should demand to be made 100% whole as well or else get the FBI involved as they properly should be at this point.

I will accept nothing less than return of all my stuff including postage. I will decide then on what to do next, after all, the serious crime was committed.

I suggest everyone should demand the same. I'm not into revenge, but this smells and I'm not sure, if life's lesson is enough, because it had to happen before and will happen again.

This is our hobby, because of this experience some people are going to be leery of trading. We have to stick as community and protect our pen community.

Edited by mp3

All I can say is what I said before. I am on a wireless network which used to be unprotected. My network could have easily been compromised. I also used a program called remoteadmin, which allows you to log into your computer from any other computer in the world. You simply need to have a password and you see a screen which is exactly like your desktop. This password was the same password as my paypal and gmail accounts which were compromised. It would have looked like everything went through my computer(which technically it did) even though the person does not have to be sitting at my computer, but simply know my remoteadmin password.

As Dillon said before(a few posts up) and Chainwhip tries to explain in the Chatter forum(under security primer), the password could have been compromised using keyboard logging software, but I'm sure there are plenty of ways someone could have taken my password.

At the request of one of the members of this forum,

I am asking if everyone who has been a part of this scam could let me know what their shipping costs were, I will send that money along to you.

Edited by ketangeorgiatech

"At the request of one of the members of this forum."

I want to thank that one member for thinking of all us.

I will wait for my stuff and refund of the postage (if check, needs to be cleared), then I will decide on my actions.

Someone who lives in zip code 12020 has provided me with a list and address but not with a name. I think I'll need a name to ship it out, I PM'd this person, but haven't heard back, so if you read this, please let me know a full shipping address. Thanks.

I sent him my cross apogee chrome.

Ok, thanks for the info!

Just dipped it into some ink and it looks like a fine italic...depending how you hold your pen, the down-stroke is slightly thinner than the horizontal strokes.

Great! Just had one other question, what did you mean by slight italic nib? I haven't used one before and always wanted to so this will be a good opportunity. Just wanted to clarify what you meant by that...

That's great, i appreciate it. Just let me know how you'll be sending the pen?

Ok, I don't think you'll be dissapointed. I will write that on the package so hopefully you won't run into any trouble. Thanks!

-Ketan

Okay, I think i'll be better off with the fine. This is my first trade, can you let me know how you are sending the package? And can you put on the package that it is a nib replacement warranty so I don't get nailed at customs. I'm from Canada. I'll send yours out tommorrow as well. Thank you.

My address is:

Attilio Lucchese

Ryan Partnership Canada

139 Main Street

Suite 204

Unionville, Ontario, Canada

L3R 2G6

Yes,

I have one with the fine, and I would say it is an accurate fine line. Most say the Lamy lines are thinner than that of a Pelikan, so that may give you a better idea. If you'd like to complete the trade, please send me your mailing address so I can make the package today as I'm going to the post office to drop off a lot of packages tomorrow.

Thanks!

My mailing address is:

Ketan Mehta

1225 Lincoln Court Ave

Atlanta, GA 30329

Attilio, I will look out for that package and simply mark it return to sender once it arrives. Can you PM me an ETA?

Here is the bottom line for me...

I was one of the unfortunates to be caught in this deal gone bad.

I am aware, and have considered, all the facts that so far have been presented. When you step back and actually think about all the facts of this case, it really doesn't look good at all for our man Ketan. That's just my opinion. The reality is that for such a serious infraction, we should follow up and just put this in the hands of the FBI, who of course is intensely interested in Internet Fraud Felonies.

Yes a felony was perpetrated here. There is only one person who knows who did this. We don't know right now who did this. But given the facts, it sure doesn't put Ketan in a good position. Now having said that, even with his proclamations of innocence, and he has every right to do this, Ketan also realizes that the facts don't reflect well on him. So he has WISELY thought about this and is now trying to do the right thing by all of us who have been damaged. He understands that getting the FBI involved is not a good idea.

Ketan has decided to try and make us all whole. I applaud this. He has an offer out to get us all our stuff back, AND to pay us back for the shipping charges we incurred. This is exactly the right thing for him to do. If he is innocent, and I don't know if he is or isn't, he can take his claim to the local authorities and get resolution from the real perpetrator of this crime. So he is making a smart decision to try and make us 100% happy. This decision of his can keep the authorities out of it. And we can deal with this as an internal matter.

Finally. I am willing to give second chances to people. People make mistakes. It may be that our friend Ketan made a big one. At any rate, he is ready and willing to remedy the situation. Again, I applaud him for this. And if he is able to make each one of us who was harmed, 100% happy, then I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt, and drop our case against him.

Further, I believe that because he is doing all he can to make things right, that we should welcome him back to the community and offer him a second chance. I think he will deserve this treatment, but only if he works and works to make every last one of us 100% satisfied. I think Ketan now is trying with all his might to do this. If he does, then I will welcome him back and hope all of us can see fit to forgive and forget.

regards

Edited by fountainhead

Attilio, I will look out for that package and simply mark it return to sender once it arrives. Can you PM me an ETA?

So you have no idea whos address this is?

1225 Lincoln Court Ave

Atlanta, GA 30329

Hello all,

I am listing all the people who's packages I am dropping off to the post office in the next hour. I forgot about the automated postal system they have set up so I don't need to wait till tomorrow morning to ship them. I also took a picture of each person's package that is going out, so if you would like a picture, email me your name and I will send you your picture. I'm glad this mess is finally starting to get sorted out.

List of ppl:

Ryan

Tom

John

Kurt

Jose

Ted

Mike

Leo

Chris

Jim

Michael

Gary, I think I will have to wait for yours because I will have to fill out customs info for an international package.

Mark, I am waiting to hear back from you via email.

Sandi, I have not received any email, but I'm assuming these ink bottles are yours. Please PM me a list and your mailing address.

Thanks.