Montblanc Hemingway LE-review

goodguy

The Hemingway is gorgeous. I have tried to console myself with a Delta Dolce Vita and a vintage MB 134... it hasn't completely worked. If only Hemingways weren't so insanely expensive. Ah well...

Joel

Please don't encourage me to obtain any more pens. :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• ethernautrix

• troglokev

• AndyH

While we're all waiting for Ethernautrix's review of her newly acquired Semiramis...

You peeps are friggin' crazy! Are you really that flush with cash these days? I have trouble covering my rent... :crybaby:

Y'see Bob, EtherX has invested wisely in junk bonds, credit securities and promissory notes.

After the current credit crisis has sorted itself out, she'll have all of the world's money, and when she does, she'll be able to afford the Semiramis.

It's just going to take the accountants a little time to sort out the details.

While we're all waiting for Ethernautrix's review of her newly acquired Semiramis...

You peeps are friggin' crazy! Are you really that flush with cash these days? I have trouble covering my rent... :crybaby:

Y'see Bob, EtherX has invested wisely in junk bonds, credit securities and promissory notes.

After the current credit crisis has sorted itself out, she'll have all of the world's money, and when she does, she'll be able to afford the Semiramis.

It's just going to take the accountants a little time to sort out the details.

Yep, I've got plenty of worthless paper to practice doodling nowadays. Except that I'll still have the market cornered on ink.

You know, Trog, I've been thinking about our experiments from last fall. I'm thinking we could move some of that thrice-blessed base water onto some of those bush fires ...? Except for the monopole factor - I don't know how that would affect the weather patterns below the Equator.

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

I LOVE THE HEMINGWAY!!! It is just the end all, be all, of pens!!

www.stevelightart.com

You know, Trog, I've been thinking about our experiments from last fall. I'm thinking we could move some of that thrice-blessed base water onto some of those bush fires ...? Except for the monopole factor - I don't know how that would affect the weather patterns below the Equator.

It certainly has potential for that application: as a way of getting large amounts of water to appear in unorthodox places, your radiatively imploded quantum foam filling system is hard to beat, and certainly better than the piddling little helicopters they use at the moment.

I'm not so worried about the monopoles as I am about the Adelaide people: there'll be hell to pay when they realise that their entire water allocation was dumped on Victoria to put out the fires.

Bunch of whingers.

Glad you love your Hemingway. I know I love mine. But it took some work to get it there. I bought my pen overseas a couple of years ago. When I finally arrived home and inked it up I discovered a couple of problems: very little ink was going into the barrel and what ink went into the barrel started to leak all over the place. In a complete panic I took the pen to the old Washington, DC Boutique and demonstrated the problems. After several phone calls (at least one to Germany) the manager said we are going to ship this pen back to the factory. To make a long story short, the pen came back in about 2 months with the usual service charge and list of what was done on the invoice. It looked like they rebuilt and refinished the whole pen. While the pen was in Germany I think I read on this forum that Mont Blanc no longer had the parts to fix Hemingways. Thank God that was not my experience! Since then there have been no problems, it writes like a dream, and I can't imagine it ever being on the sale block.

I won't say it is the end all and be all of fountain pens, but it definitely rests in the top drawer of my pen case with a few other "never?? sell " pens. With my 401K now deminished below "201" at least the mortgage is not in default and the pen collection is still intact. Should that situation change the Fed Reserve will know that we have gone from recession to full depression.

AMP

Edited by ampatb

Congratulations on the Hemingway. I love mine too and its such a joy to use. Enjoy it in good health!

cheers

W

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my Hemingway in late '92 at Bloomingdale's in New York, after being told by Tiffany that they'd just sold their last one. Tiffany did have one Medici at (I believe) $1600, which I was then either unwilling or unable to afford.

The nib on a Hemi looks identical to the one on a 149, but I'm told by MB that the two aren't interchangeable. Incidentally, MB told me that if I wanted my fine nib replaced with an oblique, they'd be glad to have this done for me in Germany for a few hundred dollars.

The colors of the Hemi were originally described by the company as "coral and espresso." It is indeed a beautiful and beautifully-made writing instrument, and I hope that it brings you great pleasure, because I believe that beautiful objects should rightfully belong to those who truly appreciate them.

• 2 months later...

Just for the record after few weeks I got to find the complete box,papers and pen so my dream is fully fulfiled and I am at piece.

Respect to all

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Very nice review.

At last, I got my fountain pen (nib Bold) today. The pen is just one of my favourite in Writers Edition with Agatha Christie.

(I bought it 1650 €, mint with full papers, box and white sleeve).

The cap is very thin. I think it is wise not to put it on the pen.

Edited by Lucas LKS