MontBlanc 149

acj27

Initial Impression / Design

Well I’m sure I don’t need to tell you much here. The big classic cigar shape. Classic formal black with gold trim and a suitably large nib to go with the large body.

Fit and finish – well nothing I can fault yet. I know MB have had their problems and critics over the years but this seems to be the one pen which has (by and large) stayed above all of that, as befitting a flagship pen.

If you are after a large formal looking pen this one certainly fits the bill.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/acj27/IMGP0227.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/acj27/IMGP0228.jpg

Writing

Large medium nib in proportion to the rest of the pen. Nib was a touch stiffer than I was expecting but it’s certainly not a nail ( and in fairness I dipped this in the shop alongside a large Delta Dolcevita OS – now there is a lovely soft springy nib, but I digress). Smooth, good flow, just to the wet side of medium, maybe 6 out of 10 on the wetness scale. Certainly this is very pleasant to write with. So far it’s mainly been drinking MB’s Racing Green but it’s the same with Diamine Indigo also.

Otherwise, very comfortable to hold, it certainly feels good in my hand. Just the right fit (for comparison a Pelikan M200 feels too small in my hands).

Surprisingly un-heavy also – I’ve been writing with it for a good proportion of this evening and there’s certainly no tiredness from the pen weight and the nib is smooth enough to glide over the paper. Enjoyable is an understatement.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/acj27/IMGP0229.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/acj27/IMGP0230.jpg

Filling

Piston filler – lots of ink in the pen. Indeed, it seems to hold the proverbial gallon and the ink window gives you a good idea about whether it needs a fill or not. Very smooth, feels solid, no complaints.

Overall

Oh boy do I like this pen, a lot, an awful lot. A clean design it may never be at the cutting edge but it’ll never be out of fashion either. Understated elegance. While the nib may not have the character of a vintage example it does the job of writing admirably.

OK, I Know MB has it’s detractors, but, at the moment I really can’t fault this particular pen.

Non-poster.
Current loves - MB 149, Pelikan M1000

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• JRodriguez

• DrPJM1

• sonnenblume

Nice review of a classic. We're short of MB reviews here - thanks for adding one to a sparse population.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Ah, one of my favorites.

I love its timeless design and reliability. It's an iconic pen.

I loved that pen so much i lost all interest in other pens and didn't

buy another pen for a decade.

Congratulations and good luck with yours.

J

P.S. The Meisterstucks don't post very securely, so if you post, be careful.

I don't post the 149, because it's big enough.

Nice review... almost tempted me to get my 149 from the drawer and ink up.

But then as I held it in my hand I remembered why it stays there, just too big for me!

Still nice to admire the pen once in a while before I return to my Pelikans and Conway Stewarts.

Hi,

Well, although it is too large for me. Nice pen!

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Smooth, good flow, just to the wet side of medium, maybe 6 out of 10 on the wetness scale. Certainly this is very pleasant to write with.

Great review, thank you! I do not have a MB 149, but I really want to add one to my collection. I do have a question re the writing. I have a MB Voltaire, and a MB Dumas, both medium nibs. Both are decidely ok to write with, but really rather dull. The ink flows well (appear from the Voltaire, MB botched the repair twice - whole other annoying story) but the outline of the letters is so uniform (ie hard nib, uniform contact with the page) that it does feel like I am writing with a nail.

My question - is the MB 149 nib as rigid as the Voltaire and Dumas, if so, I think that I will opt for the Delta.

Scottish007

Scottish007

What Would William Wallace Do? (WWWWD)

I think the nibs on the 149 and Dumas are the same size, so they ought to have

a similar feel. The 149 is springier than the 146 nib, but not a nib for signficant flex

characteristics.

I personally prefer more rigid than very springy nibs. Easier to control

for my writing.

Thanks for your review. Mont Blanc is the brand a lot of people love to hate. But the 149 has remained a quality product. Enjoy your pen for years to come!

The 149 feels too big in my hands, and I have yet to find a 146 with a nib I like.

I would really like to see a comparison with your Delta Dolce Vita OS.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

Glad to hear it's a piston filler: otherwise what a waste of pen!

Now if only I could learn to love black & gold...

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

How does the Meiserstruck 149 compare to the Meiserstruck classique / legrand as far as quality and performance? They are significantly cheaper compared to the 149.

Edited by sonnenblume

The 149 is about the size of a Pelikan 1000 & the LeGrand or 146 is the size of a Pelikan 600.

-Please correct me if I am wrong.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

I know they aren't the same size. But if there is nothing more to it than difference in size and has that legendary quality I hear so much about for the 149s. I would definitely check out the other pens for myself. About 200$ cheaper!

Hi acj27,

Great review, of a very classic pen indeed! Thanks for sharing! It is on my list for the future, once I have all of the Etrurias I want :D.

Warmest regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

The 149 is about the size of a Pelikan 1000 & the LeGrand or 146 is the size of a Pelikan 600. 

-Please correct me if I am wrong.

No, you are not wrong :lol:

I don´t have pics of my 146 and my M600 side to side, but here I send some details:

Capped:

146: 14,3 cm

M600: 13,5 cm

Non capped (I never used my pens posted, so this one is the most importante measuremen for me...):

146: 12,5 cm

M600: 12,4 cm

Posted:

146: 15,7 cm

M600: 15,4 cm

Al that said, I love both pens, but I feel that the 146 has an edge here, because:

1) Is quite heavier that the M600 (I prefer heavier pens)

2) Is wider at the section

3) It seems to me it carries more ink

4) The nib is slightly stub (just a touch) and a springy feel

Both my pens have M nibs, but the M600 gives a slightly wider line...

What else? mmmm...

Edited by solaris

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the review. I've had a 149 and sold it but I've always figured I'd get another one and just did. Still a pretty rigid nib, but jeen is right about ease of control - I'm trying to begin to appreciate variety!

Edited by JRodriguez

The main difference I've felt b/w the 146 and the 600 is certainly the weight (a big difference in my opinion), but as Solaris pointed out, the nib section is distinctly different - I actually prefer the 600 in this respect, but this is totally about individual hand size and preference.

• 1 month later...

Having had 2 MB Meisterstuck 149's that developed hair line cracks above the ink window where the cap screw thread is I have to say I was not impressed. My MB Meisterstuck pencil mechanism gave up after a year. I find this very poor for a pen range which is at the flagship end with almost iconic status. I would also mention that my pens were always kept in a MB leather pen case and were never dropped

Writing with Light

Regards Kenneth-West Riding-UK