The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy 2000

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 acj27

acj27

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2006 - 00:42

Initial Impression / Design

If people want to know what minimalism is all about then show them this pen. Clean lines and no ornamentation because frankly this pen doesn’t need it. Bauhaus at it’s best. I can see why the design of this pen hasn’t changed in 4 decades. Indeed, it continues to look as modern and futuristic now as it did back then.
The finish is good…actually I lie, the finish is excellent. I defy anyone to look at the pen and spot the gap between the barrel and piston. The fit is perfect.
But (weren’t expecting that were you) I have to admit to always being slightly unsure if the cap has clicked on properly as it’s not a very big click. On the other hand the cap has never come off in my pocket so I guess it’s held on tight enough.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Writing

Lovely smooth nib, hint of line variation. Reliable, no skipping, always starts and can sit uncapped for a few minutes (not too surprising for a semi hooded nib though).
However, here comes another minor niggle – those clips for the cap are exactly where I want to place my forefinger and thumb as it write and I can feel them. They don’t dig in exactly and it’s a nice pen to write with but you know they are there and it’s mildly annoying.
However, it’s a good size and weight which will be comfortable for many. My advice is to try before you buy.

Posted Image

Filling

Piston filler, so, good capacity. The ink window isn’t the best for seeing how much ink you still have but it does give you an idea. Also, the piston in mine does feel a little bit stiff compared to my other piston fillers but so long as it keeps working this isn’t a problem.

Overall

Excellent pen for the money but I do have to admit to having a few minor issues. I know lots of people are probably sitting there reading this aghast but hey, we’re all different. Now, must lock the door before the lynch mob getS here.

Non-poster.
Current loves - MB 149, Pelikan M1000

Sponsored Content

#2 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:38

Nice review of a pen that has many fans.
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#3 ballboy

ballboy

A pen-intent man shall pass

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:12

I know what you mean about those clips: I can definitely tell they're there. I find them useful for guiding my fingers along the barrel grip, otherwise this is a seriously smooth and almost slippery pen to write with.

They certainly help the cap click shut though; it's when I post the cap that it's prone to falling off.
Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

#4 solaris

solaris

Good for Nothing

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 14:46

Some people complain about the metal 'ears' (I can't find a better word) on the section. No problem for me, as I hold my pens quite high related to the section: let's say, I hold my MB 146 above the threads. So, those thingies on the Lamy 2000 don't bother me.
My 2000 has a M nib, and is a wonderful writer, with a wet line. I love it. Great pen.

#5 DrPJM1

DrPJM1

Oversize Balance

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2006 - 23:29

Thanks for the review. I did not like the metal "ears" on the pen I tested, and I am one of the people that find Namiki VP's clip to be "in the way". But I have always grinned when trying those smooth Lamy steel nibs. ;)
Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

#6 meanwhile

meanwhile

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,831 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 17:00

Another "Ouch - what the hell were they thinking of with those pins?" vote, I'm afraid.
- Jonathan

#7 Jlgreer

Jlgreer

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 19:40

I am quite used to the metal ears. But a agree they are a bit odd. However, I have found the 2000 to be a very "wet" writer. I actually had my XF nib dressed/smoothed on the topside, (like Parker used to do with the old vacumatics) so it lays down a nice "thin" line..
Overall it is a workhorse of a pen that travels well and never misses a beat..

#8 JRodriguez

JRodriguez

Anthropologist at large

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 20:04

Nice review ACG. I really loved my first one, and I just recently purchased another to take with me for field research because I thought the first was pretty rugged. Also, I agree with the cautions about trying this out before buying if at all possible. I don't have a problem with the little "ears," but I could imagine someone hating them.

#9 Dudley

Dudley

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 22:07

Nice review. Thinking about getting one soon. So what exactly are these ears? amnd is there a close up pictures of them that someone can share??
Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

-Name your kids dudley, cause the name is feeling a little deprived =P

#10 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2006 - 00:20

Nice review. Thinking about getting one soon. So what exactly are these ears? amnd is there a close up pictures of them that someone can share??

These metal ears, which are actually part of a ring-shaped metal spring inside the section, are the only parts which hold the cap by clicking in a metal ring inside the cap, as there are no threads or other things on the smooth body.
Also the ears mark the place where the section unscrews from the body. There is an independent section, but you can't see it normally! When unscrewed, you can remove the abovementioned little spring carefully and now have easy access to the ink reservoir in the body and to the section itself for cleaning etc.
/:)

Edited by saintsimon, 19 May 2006 - 00:24.

#11 chainwhip

chainwhip

Eastside Derailleur Mangler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:19

KCkc posted a good "HowTo" on the Lamy 2000 - here's the link:

http://www.fountainp...17&hl=lamy 2000

There's some good pictures of the "ears" there in that link.

For me, I love the Lamy 2000 - I have a black and a stainless steel one... Probably one of the best values in my book... and great design to boot.

The "ears" don't bother me at all.

Dudley - head over to WorldLux, they have one in the display case you can try.
Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!
WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

#12 Dudley

Dudley

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:32

Thank for the heads up Chainwhip!

Those ear were so discreet in all the pictures i've seen i didnt even notice till now.

Edited by Dudley, 19 May 2006 - 05:34.

Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

#13 TheNobleSavage

TheNobleSavage

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:12

I bought my Lamy 2000 from Tytyvyllus and the nib is a broad. I also had concerns with the "Ears" but I have to say that the more I use it, the less it is an issue!!! I thought at one time that this was an UGLY looking pen. Well, honestly, I still do but as with all the Lamy pens I have which is 4, they are indeed ugly but they are killer writers!!! They are as smooth as butter and these are one of the only pens in all of the fountain pens that I bought that do not need any modifications for it to write well with my style of writing.

I am also looking at buying another ugly pen, the Lamy Studio with the gold nib. Too bad it is a cartridge converter pen but that nib looks too nice to pass up.

BTW thank you for posting the the tutorial on disassembling the Lamy 2000. This WILL come in handy when the piston might get a tad sticky!!!

Great review and great thread!!!

Keep up the great work, yall!!! :lol:

TNS
Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites
Fountain Pen Reviews
Ink Reviews

#14 Dudley

Dudley

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:33

LOL, savage....that's okay cause i think more than half the pens i see out here on the forums are ugly. at least you still buy the pens you think are ugly for thier quality. show's that you're not as superficial as the rest of us =P

#15 cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,261 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:03

Great review, my fav pen too.

#16 gmorgan

gmorgan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:57

Can one of you "experienced" 2000 owners comment on how well the cap posts? Also, is it balanced with the cap posted? I've seen a couple of places I know there are lots of theories on posting vs. not posting.... I guess I'm on the posting camp:)

#17 Russ

Russ

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,974 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:08

The cap does not post "tight," although it does travel far enough on the barrel to ensure that it won't easily fall off.

The cap is very light, so posting doesn't change the balance of the pen, IMO.

I am, admittedly, not inclined to post when I write.

#18 johnr55

johnr55

The New Deal

• Member - Gold

• 831 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:48

I've posted mine for over 20 years. The neat part is the Makrilon (Bosch's spelling) doesn't show a whit of wear.

#19 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:26

Strange, the original is 'Makrolon', maybe some trademark issues, here?

Bayer patented Makrolon (a Polycarbonate) in 1953.

Edited by saintsimon, 28 December 2006 - 03:36.

#20 gmorgan

gmorgan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:58

thank you all for your input.

Sponsored Content

|