The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Cross Townsend Sienna

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ballboy

ballboy

A pen-intent man shall pass

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2006 - 23:20

Having tried a Lustrous Chrome Townsend in at The Pen Shop in The Trafford Centre in Manchester, I found its smooth writing qualities and handling to be enough to keep this model in mind when searching on ebay...

Well, sure enough a model caught my eye in the form of this Sienna laqoured model, now discontinued. It has 22k gold trim. The Cross logo on the cap clip is in script rather than capitals.

LOOKS: 4/5

I find most silver/chrome finishes on a pen like the Townsend diminish its stature and make it look too much like a Century II. The laquer finish gives it a more solid look and feel for its size. The gold trim adds a warm touch to the brown laquer. The length is 150mm, width (cap banding) 13mm and grip at narrowest point about 8mm. This makes for a relatively long and slender pen with a pleasingly thick rounded cap. It's certainly a good 10mm longer than my Lamy 2000.

WRITING: 4/5

The 22k gold nib is smooth, with a nice medium width and a moist, if not sopping wet line with the supplied black ink cartridges. I find it easy to write in my narrow lined diary with it, having few skips except on some Ss now and again. I feel I have to dot the paper before writing straight away to ensure immediate ink flow, but hope that the nib will settle down in time and become an extention of my fingers when writing. I'm less conscious of writing with this slender nib than when writing with my Lamy 2000's medium hooded nib, with its big wet lines and awsome showy smoothness. The balance is pleasantly weighted and light enough. I always write posted to add a bit of heft to the writing experience without dragging proceedings down.

PRICE: 4/5

Having won it as the only bidder for about 76USD, including postage to the UK from the USA and then paying 13GBP for import duty, found it wasn't going to be quite the bargain it could have been. However, since most pens like this start at this price in the UK for lowlier models, I consider this a comparative steal, especially as it is no longer in production.

Overall, this is a warm elegant pen that should start my Cross collection rolling.

Attached Images

• Townsendcapoff.JPG

Edited by ballboy, 11 April 2006 - 11:03.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Sponsored Content

#2 DrPJM1

DrPJM1

Oversize Balance

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2006 - 23:41

Thanks for the nice review. I have had a few Cross pens over the years and find that they are under-rated. Enjoy your pen!
Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

#3 Slush99

Slush99

FullMetal

• Member - Gold

• 1,579 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 23:44

Beautiful pen!
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.
How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire
The Adventures of Chewie

#4 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,041 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 20:43

That is a very nice mellow color.

I have one in Blue steel nib...not Blue quartz...still a vivid pen. Mine was on sale...Townsend....go for it... Sort of Buy Now or Forever hold your peace.
There were other colors, I liked better...but for 99E for a set, couldn't be beaten.

I gave the ball point to my wife...and forced her to buy a small pen bag...so she'd not scratch it with the kitchen sink, and assorted bricks in her purse.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#5 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2010 - 23:28

Nice review and a nice looking pen, thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#6 fabrimedeiros

fabrimedeiros

BROAD ITALIC/STUB ADDICTED

• Member - Gold

• 1,813 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:58

Curiously, Cross Townsend nibs are produced by Pelikan.

#7 freewheelingvagabond

freewheelingvagabond

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2010 - 20:59

This Cross Townsend is quite a good-looking pen in my opinion.
https://soundcloud.com/freewheelingvagabond

#8 ballboy

ballboy

A pen-intent man shall pass

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2010 - 14:13

Too bad I let it go awhile back: I found the posting balance awkward and the nib, beautiful as it was, didn't satisfy me like my subsequent pens. Having recently sold off my Apogee, I'm now Crossless.
Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

#9 Sagar_C

Sagar_C

Animalia Chordata Mammalia Primates Hominidae Homo S. Sapiens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2010 - 15:30

I love my Townsend: very nice smooth writer. What I hate about it is the clip. My pen's clip became loose within a few months of use. :mad:

Edited by Sagar_C, 22 November 2010 - 15:32.

#10 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2010 - 15:57

A true classic! :thumbup:

Sponsored Content

|