The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Decimo LEs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Siv

Siv

Inky fingers

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2009 - 21:00

So after some effort and a wedge of cash, here are the recently released Pilot Decimo LEs in sparkly blue and sparky red.

As you can see, you need to have bright lights to see the sparkles. Under regular indoor lighting, the pens look unremarkable. I have put them next to the blue regular Decimo and the red Sesenta which are the closest others that I have to the new colours.

A closeup in natural light which shows that the red isn't really red, more of a maroon. I wish they would make red pens in fire-engine red and not these subdues tones. The blue is a nice colour, brighter than the standard blue. It's probably the nicest blue of the blue capless pens that I have.

And finally, here they are amongst their brothers and sisters. I heard some mutterings that these LEs may be shorter than the regular Decimos but you can see that they are identical.

Did I spend too much on these pens? Yes
Are they worth the additional cost over the standard? Probably not.
Am I obsessed with capless pens? What do you think wink.gif

Edited by Siv, 28 February 2009 - 21:02.

Posted Image
Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Sponsored Content

#2 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2009 - 22:04

Really nice! I like those mottled ones even more. The grey/brown one especially -- but I bet they are LE's or SP's (Special Price) models..?

Doug

#3 tawanda

tawanda

Over the hill but refusing to wear roller skates

• Member - Gold

• 1,802 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 22:26

I think the marble ones are called sesenta - you can still getthem on flea bay I believe. I love the red limited ed decimo, not fussy on the blue.
For Sale:
Penman Ink http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/classifieds/item/11952-penman-mocha-ink/
Pilot Elite (Short-Long)http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/classifieds/item/11951-pilot-elite-short-long/

#4 kiavonne

kiavonne

Still An Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 22:45

I like the red sparkly. I don't suppose you'd share?
Scribere est agere.
To write is to act.

#5 PenFisher

PenFisher

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,663 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 22:50

Very nice ... thanks for the comparison photos. The Decimos are a welcome addition to the VP line and the LEs especially.

Edited by PenFisher, 28 February 2009 - 22:51.

#6 superbleu

superbleu

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 22:58

Siv, do you have a gallery posted of all your VP/capless pens somewhere?

#7 Siv

Siv

Inky fingers

• Member - Gold

• 2,769 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:37

Here are some pictures from Rakuten:

QUOTE (superbleu @ Feb 28 2009, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Siv, do you have a gallery posted of all your VP/capless pens somewhere?

Almost...

Edited by Siv, 01 March 2009 - 14:18.

Posted Image
Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

#8 liapuyat

liapuyat

Pelikan Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2009 - 17:32

Can't wait for my Champagne Pink Decimo to arrive! Thanks to Taizo Okagaki aka engeika (eBay).
"Luxe, calme et volupte"

#9 HesNot

HesNot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,246 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 17:46

QUOTE (HDoug @ Feb 28 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really nice! I like those mottled ones even more. The grey/brown one especially -- but I bet they are LE's or SP's (Special Price) models..?

Doug

I recently acquired a grey marble Sesenta off that auction site and it is a fantastic pen - I'd love to have all three colors but that is not likely given funds, etc...

I've had a standard VP for a few years and loved it, but it was just on the edge of size/weight for me - the Sesenta/Decimo size is perfect.
A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

#10 liapuyat

liapuyat

Pelikan Fan

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2009 - 00:31

Received my champagne pink Decimo and it is right now my favorite pen. The performance of the nib is fantastic, and the pen body fits my hand perfectly. *love*
"Luxe, calme et volupte"

#11 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:32

I take credit for being one of the first, if not the first to get a Decimo here in the US when they were first released. I heard about them on PT, wrote to an ebay seller and asked if he could get them - and had one in my hands a little over a week later.

I think that Pilot got it right on this one. The size of the original vanishing point pens, but with the durability of the Capless with the metal barrel and cap threads.

Nice colors in the new pens... I'm still waiting for a metallic orange one though. That would pull the cash out of the bank!

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#12 liapuyat

liapuyat

Pelikan Fan

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:36

QUOTE (Ron Z @ Mar 10 2009, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I take credit for being one of the first, if not the first to get a Decimo here in the US when they were first released. I heard about them on PT, wrote to an ebay seller and asked if he could get them - and had one in my hands a little over a week later.

I think that Pilot got it right on this one. The size of the original vanishing point pens, but with the durability of the Capless with the metal barrel and cap threads.

Nice colors in the new pens... I'm still waiting for a metallic orange one though. That would pull the cash out of the bank!

ORANGE! *oh no, I'm done for*
"Luxe, calme et volupte"

#13 petravana

petravana

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:21

QUOTE (Ron Z @ Mar 9 2009, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take it that Capless is not a synonym for vanishing point, but a new iteration of the pen? I've become intrigued with this pen and have been thinking of getting one as I love how my Namiki Grange writes. As a woman though, I don't keep pens in a shirt pocket, but rather in a case in my purse. How much do I have to obsess that this pen stay upright, or is it okay to be horizontal?

#14 liapuyat

liapuyat

Pelikan Fan

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2009 - 14:17

QUOTE (petravana @ Mar 11 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Ron Z @ Mar 9 2009, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take it that Capless is not a synonym for vanishing point, but a new iteration of the pen? I've become intrigued with this pen and have been thinking of getting one as I love how my Namiki Grange writes. As a woman though, I don't keep pens in a shirt pocket, but rather in a case in my purse. How much do I have to obsess that this pen stay upright, or is it okay to be horizontal?

I'm a woman and I keep mine in a case in my purse. It's ok, no worries about staining anything accidentally. Sometimes though when I am distracted from writing I do get to clip it onto my shirt or neckline so I don't forget where I placed it.
"Luxe, calme et volupte"

#15 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 16:50

I take it that Capless is not a synonym for vanishing point, but a new iteration of the pen?

"Capless" = "Vanishing Point"

Pilot used the name "Vanishing Point" for their earlier versions, including the plastic, faceted barrel models sold under the Namiki brand in the US. When that was discontinued maybe 10 years ago, they introduced the fatter model with the metal threads in cap and barrel, they named it "Capless" and sold it under the Pilot name. It's common for the names to be used interchangeably.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Sponsored Content

|