The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan Mount Everest M640

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Steven

Steven

Bon Vivant

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:41

Appearance & Design
This is an artistically stunning pen which captures the spirit of the Himalayan Mountains. The grandeur of Mount Everest standing high amongst the lesser mountains is beautifully depicted in gold, highlighting the majesty of the highest place on earth at sunrise. The rest of the range is nicely portrayed on the icy silver gray brushed barrel conjuring up the image of frozen slopes highlighted by gold lines suggestive of an early morning sun streaking over the Himalayan pass.

Weight & Dimensions
This is a heavy pen measuring 13.6 mm capped and feels well balanced uncapped.

Filling System, Nib and & Performance
The filling system is the standard plunger type found on all Pelikan M series pens. I got this pen with the M600 fine nib and it writes smooth as expected. There are plenty of reviews about the performance of the Pelikan M600 which you can read so I will not rehash old ground.

Conclusion & Value
Holding this pen close to my ear I can hear the cold Himalayan winds blowing through the pass. The artistry is awe inspiring and the sight is highly evocative of the coldness, sheer wilderness and beauty of the Himalayans. This pen is true art and the value is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by MYU, 28 February 2009 - 21:50.

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

Sponsored Content

#2 Joehek

Joehek

Joehek

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:39

Steven,

Thanks for the review! I have always wondered about this pen, I see it around every now and then but never in this detail. I wanted to get the Krone Mt. Everest LE but that one is pretty expensive. I love the nibs on the Pelikan's, especially the F, and EF.

#3 GeeTee

GeeTee

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:59

Thanks for the review and the detailed photo's. All other pictures i've seen were marketing photos, which didn't show very much detail. I must say it look much better than i thought.

#4 stevlight

stevlight

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 13:01

Thanks for the review--I LOVE my Polar lights but I have never liked gold and silver together. If it was all grey and silver it would be a winner to me. Just my personal taste though --if it performs like my Polar lights then it is one of the best pens made in my opinion. Wish they would come out with an all black and silver one with ink window!!!
www.stevelightart.com

#5 pankajwillis

pankajwillis

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 13:21

Thanks for this review. I have been wondering about this pen smile.gif

A merciful heart is the greatest of all possessions.

#6 diplomat

diplomat

Platinum Member :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 17:43

Thank you for the review and especially the detailed pics.
I start to like the shape of this M640 series but I have to say that this one is the one I like the least from the lot. I like more geometric designs like the polar light or the niagara.

Ciao,

#7 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2009 - 21:02

QUOTE (Steven @ Feb 27 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Holding this pen close to my ear I can hear the cold Himalayan winds blowing through the pass. The artistry is awe inspiring and the sight is highly evocative of the coldness, sheer wilderness and beauty of the Himalayans.

I'm glad the pen evokes such feelings in you! From your photos, it appears that light dances off the gold elements. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures.

#8 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2009 - 21:32

Your photos are superb, Steven--I wish I could take ones this good! smile.gif

I'm so used to very straight barrels with Pelikan, that this one with a slight bulge looks peculiar... at first. But after looking at the pen for a while I'm beginning to warm up to it. Especially with the intricate design of an abstract Mount Everest. Beautiful choice!

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#9 Philosopher

Philosopher

Piet Mondrian (Composition with Red, Blue, Yellow - 1930)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:14

QUOTE (MYU @ Feb 28 2009, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your photos are superb, Steven--I wish I could take ones this good! smile.gif

I'm so used to very straight barrels with Pelikan, that this one with a slight bulge looks peculiar... at first. But after looking at the pen for a while I'm beginning to warm up to it. Especially with the intricate design of an abstract Mount Everest. Beautiful choice!

I too love this pen and use Caran d'Ache STORM ink in it which somehow manages to express the violent weather that sweeps in so quickly around the Mt. Everest's peak. Your pictures are among the best ever posted here!
Visconti Van Gogh Maxi - Blue (F)
Visconti Van Gogh Maxi - Vanilla (F)
Visconti Opera Elements - Air (F)
Pelikan M800 - Red Striped (F)
Pelikan M640 SE Polar Lights (F)
Pelikan M620 SE Piccadilly Circus (F)
Pelikan M640 SE Sahara (F)
Pelikan M800 Demonstrator (M)
Robert

(a.k.a. Philosopher)

Feel free to Visit My Website

#10 wykpenguin

wykpenguin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:15

The design doesn't work for me. mellow.gif

#11 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 17:20

nice review and pics on a very nice pen
Cogito ergo sum

#12 benjitzu

benjitzu

Aligned

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 23:49

Appearance & Design
This is an artistically stunning pen which captures the spirit of the Himalayan Mountains. The grandeur of Mount Everest standing high amongst the lesser mountains is beautifully depicted in gold, highlighting the majesty of the highest place on earth at sunrise. The rest of the range is nicely portrayed on the icy silver gray brushed barrel conjuring up the image of frozen slopes highlighted by gold lines suggestive of an early morning sun streaking over the Himalayan pass.

Pelikan_Mt_Everest_2.jpg

Weight & Dimensions
This is a heavy pen measuring 13.6 mm capped and feels well balanced uncapped.

Pelikan_Mt_Everest_1.jpg

Filling System, Nib and & Performance
The filling system is the standard plunger type found on all Pelikan M series pens. I got this pen with the M600 fine nib and it writes smooth as expected. There are plenty of reviews about the performance of the Pelikan M600 which you can read so I will not rehash old ground.

Pelikan_Mt_Everest_3.jpg

Conclusion & Value
Holding this pen close to my ear I can hear the cold Himalayan winds blowing through the pass. The artistry is awe inspiring and the sight is highly evocative of the coldness, sheer wilderness and beauty of the Himalayans. This pen is true art and the value is in the eye of the beholder.

I know this post is several years old, so forgive me for that. Now that you've had the pen for a while, what are your impressions now? I'm thinking about getting this same pen for myself and curious of you have the same opinion after it being in rotation for a while. Thanks!

b

Sponsored Content

|