The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pelikan Royal Blue

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 chkuo

chkuo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:39

Sponsored Content

#2 Peter from Sherwood Park

Peter from Sherwood Park

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:15

Thank you for narrowing the field of blues for me. I don't think that this will be one of the blues that I investigate further.

#3 dannyboy

dannyboy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:27

Actually not all that bad--although it's true there isn't much shading with this ink. But I used if for 3 years with several of my Pelikans until I discovered Diamine inks. The rest is history, as they say.

#4 Martok

Martok

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:51

Strange how different this looks from my bottle.

Pelikan Blue for me is very very faded and ugly.

Martok
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
-Old Klingon Proverb

#5 fjf

fjf

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 943 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:27

The blues when they are scanned tend to be brighter and bluer and nicer than on real life. Unfortunately, many blues that are lifeless on paper appear gorgeous on scans.

Thanks for the effort, anyway. You try to help others.

#6 The Grim Sheaffer

The Grim Sheaffer

The sound of one tine writing

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:09

The last bottle I bought was very purple - almost like PR Tanzanite, I was about to send it back to pelikan but then realized that I quite like it. It appears that the color can differ from batch to batch.

#7 chkuo

chkuo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:39

My experience with Pelikan Royal Blue has been very good and I like this ink a lot. It is what I'd consider as the "Old Faithful". There's nothing fancy about it, yet it just works, pretty well. It is not expensive and relatively easy to find. Better yet, Pelikan claims that all ingredients used in this ink are safe (see here)

#8 Gran

Gran

U. S. A.

• Member - Gold

• 1,291 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 22:23

Thanks for the review! I find this a useful, general purpose, blue. I think it's attractive. It doesn't have the "wow" factor of Visconti, or the school-look of Skrip. Just a nice, every-day blue.
May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

#9 1000km

1000km

Full-time writer

• Member - Gold

• 1,038 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:20

From the Pelikan website:
"Even accidentally swallowing ink would not harm the average person. We do however warn against consumption as ink is not to be considered as nutrition." laugh.gif

#10 dayonfire

dayonfire

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 20:40

I have just heard about Diamine inks...what makes them so good?

Thanks!
Michael

P.S. I'm using Pelikan Royal Blue these days and very happy with it. No feathering whatsoever on my Apica and Clairefontaine papers. Very tight.

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 27 2009, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually not all that bad--although it's true there isn't much shading with this ink. But I used if for 3 years with several of my Pelikans until I discovered Diamine inks. The rest is history, as they say.

#11 CraigR

CraigR

Bibliophile, Writer and Philosopher

• Member - Gold

• 1,495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2009 - 21:30

Thank you for the review. Pelikan Royal Blue is one of my mainstay inks. I have a Pelikan M800, medium nib, that is inked with Royal Blue and is currently in daily use. I also use a lot of Waterman Florida Blue. /Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words. 

LetterExchange_sm.png

Blog -   https://agiftforwords.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook...up/146644665309

#12 HenryLouis

HenryLouis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 22:22

Yawn... Looks boring.
Posted Image

#13 haziz

haziz

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 22:59

QUOTE (HenryLouis @ Jun 22 2009, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yawn... Looks boring.

Looks gorgeous to me. I actually used it today (cartridge) in a Pelikan Future pen (fine nib). Interestingly the el-cheapo Future pen is probably my smoothest pen, smoother even than my Pilot M90 (medium nib). The Pelikan fine nib does write close to a medium though. The ink looks beautiful.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Edited by haziz, 30 June 2009 - 23:29.

#14 Jason Oliver

Jason Oliver

everybody's Sumgai

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:24

QUOTE (1000km @ Mar 8 2009, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Even accidentally swallowing ink would not harm the average person. We do however warn against consumption as ink is not to be considered as nutrition." laugh.gif

...did they give a definition of 'average person' ? Do any of us qualify ?

#15 Neill78

Neill78

Sensei

• Member - Gold

• 844 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:24

QUOTE (The Grim Sheaffer @ Feb 28 2009, 04:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The last bottle I bought was very purple - almost like PR Tanzanite, I was about to send it back to pelikan but then realized that I quite like it. It appears that the color can differ from batch to batch.

I ended up with 2 bottles -- one I purchased on clearance for a few dollars, and another came unexpectedly with a NOS M200 that I bought. One was much more purple than the other. But in the end I found them both kind of faded and drab.

Neill

#16 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:55

QUOTE (CraigR @ Jun 22 2009, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for the review. Pelikan Royal Blue is one of my mainstay inks. I have a Pelikan M800, medium nib, that is inked with Royal Blue and is currently in daily use. I also use a lot of Waterman Florida Blue. /Craig

Yes, both are for a reason the two more sold inks in the Old Continent. Excellent behavior, solid classic blue color, writes on anything, safe for pens and most important of all, people, (no chemical fumes menacingly emanating from the bottle). A great product made for one of the top pen makers. Sound German Engineering in an everyday ink with respect for the quality and safety for environment and humans at the best market price.

#17 DeSuisse

DeSuisse

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 18:19

QUOTE (Ondina @ Jul 1 2009, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (CraigR @ Jun 22 2009, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, both are for a reason the two more sold inks in the Old Continent. Excellent behavior, solid classic blue color, writes on anything, safe for pens and most important of all, people, (no chemical fumes menacingly emanating from the bottle). A great product made for one of the top pen makers. Sound German Engineering in an everyday ink with respect for the quality and safety for environment and humans at the best market price.

In Switzerland (cartridge) it is the standard ink, that all chidren are using at school. You ca find it in posr and all supermarkets. Because children are learnig to write with Pelikano funished by school. It's more difficult to find the black or other color.

The new one is better than the old one and darker.

#18 kaissa

kaissa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2009 - 19:28

QUOTE (Jason Oliver @ Jul 1 2009, 05:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (1000km @ Mar 8 2009, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...did they give a definition of 'average person' ? Do any of us qualify ?

I highly doubt that any one of us will be qualifed as an "average person" smile.gif

Royal blue is an ink that I use daily. It is a safe ink, and blue it is. I have not experimented with other blue inks yet, so I like it.
Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

#19 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 22:50

I have a love hate with this ink
It's wet, its smooth, but it's too purple to be blue and not purple enough to be purple

#20 tonysameh

tonysameh

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 16:37

THIS WONDERFUL COLOR CANNOT BE THE UGLY PELIKAN ROYAL BLUE I HAVE.
THIS WONDERFUL COLOR CANNOT BE THE UGLY PELIKAN ROYAL BLUE I HAVE.......

Sponsored Content

|