Pilot 78G Threefor Deal

OldGriz

The other day I got a real nice deal on 3 Pilot 78G pens from a dealer in Hong Kong.... $30.50 for all three with 6 Pilot Black cartridges including shipping...

I bought the pen on 2/16 and they arrived today 2/24 via registered mail...

ISellPens has these for $12.00 ea plus $7.00 shipping, so I figure I got a pretty good deal

The auction was advertised as all pens being fine nibs, but I asked the seller for a F, M and B if possible and that is what they sent.... good service..

The seller has more of these for sale at eBay Auction for 78G Pens

I will recommend this seller as being good and timely in delivery....

First impressions

The pen is very light weight and slim... almost feels like there is nothing in your hand... but it balances nicely for me when posted.

Appearance and Finish

The plastic has an inexpensive feel to it and the plating on the clip is not what I would call high end... the cap bands appear to be gold foil printed and not really metal...

But considering the price, I am not at all disappointed in the pen....

Design/Size/Weight

The cap screws to the body securely and posts well with no wiggle or movement...

The section threads well to the body also with no wiggle or untoward movement...

Dimensions are:

5.33" capped, 5.90" posted, .518" cap diameter, .435" at body threads, .330" just behind nib on section.

As mentioned above this is a very light weight pen

Nib Design & Performance

The nibs were extremely surprising.... all are gold plated steel.

I tried the fine nib first.... I put in a Pilot cartridge and with no prior flushing the pen wrote very smooth and wet... on the line somewhere between a US xf and f... .just what I expected from a Japanese fine....

I then put the cart in the medium nib with the same smooth results and a line a bit wider than a US fine... again as expected....

The big surprise was the broad nib. I had been told to expect a stub and it is definitely a stub... However, it is an untipped nib and I really expected it to be scratch like a lot of untipped stubs I have tried.... Just the opposite... the nib was smooth as silk from the get go... I would classify it as extremely close to my .7mm Binder stub on my Pelikan.... and amazingly almost as smooth....

I let the pen sit for a couple of minutes between writings and it started up instantly every time....

Filling System

The pen is a cartridge/converter filler and came with a converter. For testing I used the Pilot Black cartridges that came with it. There is not much to say about the standard C/C filling system that you don't already know..

Overall

Overall, I would say that I am rather impressed with this inexpensive pen from Pilot.... It does exactly what I expect from any pen I own... it writes smoothly and from the first touch to paper... I guess the best thing I can say about it is that I would buy one of these again...... especially if I was looking to gift someone with a fountain pen....

Now that the initial test is over, I am going to flush out the fine nib pen and fill it with Noodlers Ottoman Rose... I don't have a pen filled with that ink yet...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGriz

• liapuyat

• pmsalty

• Robert Hughes

Griz,

Thanks for that review. I've been looking at this pen for a while. You have given us a very useful review.

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

Do these have the same nibs & feeds as the Pilot Prera? They look very similar.

My Pilot Prera has a very smooth fine nib, and I'm running it as an ED pen - same fill for weeks on end. I bet the Pilot 78 could be used ED also.

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

Do these have the same nibs & feeds as the Pilot Prera? They look very similar.

My Pilot Prera has a very smooth fine nib, and I'm running it as an ED pen - same fill for weeks on end. I bet the Pilot 78 could be used ED also.

I have absolutely no idea.... other than 2 VPs that I sold these are the only Pilots I have ever owned...

AND, now I only own one of them... the fine nib... my daughter has claimed the other two.... :cloud9:

Thank you for the review -- I have a B and a BB making their way through the mail system, so it's good to note that I'm in for some pleasant writing.

On a related note, what is it with girls and 78Gs? I lost my teal fine to my daughter in the fall (it seems they were tailor-made for taking notes in high school and I was somewhat dense for not realizing this right off).

Thanks again for the review.

I looked at the seller's site... the auction for 3 units 78G is for all fine nibs. For a while there I hoped there would be a F, M and B package. (I already have a black and a red in F, a black in B, now looking for an M and a BB. Found them elsewhere, fortunately.)

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

I looked at the seller's site... the auction for 3 units 78G is for all fine nibs. For a while there I hoped there would be a F, M and B package. (I already have a black and a red in F, a black in B, now looking for an M and a BB. Found them elsewhere, fortunately.)

Re-read my post "The auction was advertised as all pens being fine nibs, but I asked the seller for a F, M and B if possible and that is what they sent.... good service.."

I asked for a F,M,B set and that is what I got... the auction was marked all fine nibs.

Re-read my post "The auction was advertised as all pens being fine nibs, but I asked the seller for a F, M and B if possible and that is what they sent.... good service.."

I asked for a F,M,B set and that is what I got... the auction was marked all fine nibs.

Oh! Hahaha, sorry for not reading that clearly. Thanks for the tip!

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

I recently purchased a 78G with a B stub/italic nib from HisNibs.com (No affilation. Satisfied customer.) However, Norman makes sure that every single nib shipped from HisNibs is inspected and adjusted if necessary before it leaves "the Palace."

I really like the 78G w/ B nib and just ordered a second one for one of my adult daughters who recenlty started journaling.

The 78G w/ B nib makes for great writing with Private Reserve Copper Burst on Ampad Gold Fibre antique ivory writing pads! No feathering and no bleeding. Great shading and line variations too!

I've purchased 5 78Gs from that seller in Hong Kong- all got to me quickly and wrote well out of the box. Really a great pen considering the price!

I only have a couple B nibs now, we'll see how long it is before I break down and get the set like Griz... :)

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

I also got the 3for deal. I cheated a little though, I purchased one first just to see how it would all work - shipping and all. I wanted to get the three so I could see the difference in the nibs as well as to use to test different inks. When I bought my first one I had read that they wouldn't take a cartridge so I asked the seller why he sent them with a cartridge (by the way he sent me a 6 pack of cartridges with my 3 pens!) and he told me that they would take the cartridge. I find the medium writes extremely smooth. My broads are stubs. If there is another pen that writes as well for this price or even twice the price, please let me know! :thumbup:

Ken McDaniel

<")}}}>><(

• 1 month later...

Thanks very much for the review!

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!