The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Majestic

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 18:59

1930's "Third Tier" US pen manufacturer, some of the Majestics are very good. I use the 14k nibbed pen as a daily writer, filled with Private Reserve Midnight Blues. Notice the difference in surface finish: the pencil sits on a shelf, and the pen is in constant use. As with any lower tier pen, take care when polishing as to not take off the very thin gold layer of any metal furniture.

First Impressions: 2/5. I purchased this set off the Dreaded, and was expecting them to be old and inoperable; in that way I wasn't severely disappointed. It did come with an original box, so it gets one point for that. The pencil mechanism works and has a lead in it, but I don't use it. The pen of course was in need of a new sac and general refurb.

Appearance and design: 4/5. After rework and cleanup, the pen and pencil are quite nice. The nitrocellulose-based celluloid is in good shape with depth and an irridescent quality, no evidence of discoloration is in evidence. The 14k nib is appropriately sized for this pen. The lever mechanism is still functional with no evidence of corrosion or damage.

Weight and Dimension: 4/5. It's a standard size pen, rather thin, and lightweight. I post the cap for balance when writing more than a quick note. When writing postcards I find that the thinness of the section sometimes gives me wrist strain.

Nib and Performance: 3/5. The nib is a Warranted 14k #2 with a hint of flex, not very much. The hard rubber feed looks pretty standard for a 1930's era pen, with 4-5 fins. As with all of these old-style pens, they are "tweaky" - depending on how you put the nib & feed in you'll get either a wonderful writing experience or a total bust, so a little patience and elbow grease is in order. And if a particular ink doesn't work so great, play with the nib until the ink flows the way you want, or switch inks. After awhile I've figured out that these old pens really are adjustable by using the standard tricks.

Filling System: 4/5. The lever fill mechanism works as it should. The pen doesn't hold a lot of ink, merely enough to do the job.

Cost and Value: 5/5. Considering that the set cost approximately $10, the major resources expended were in the refurbishment, which was a labor of love. And for that small investment I have a nice looking, functional, vintage pen/pencil set.

Conclusion:
This pen/pencil set was not a high-profile consumer item when new; FP collectors looking for the ultimate writing implement should keep moving. But it works well, the nib has character, the writing experience is solid and dependable, and the pen is rather pretty; non-FP people have commented on how they like the looks of this.

Attached Images

• Majestic_pen_pencil_set404.jpg

Edited by Robert Hughes, 23 February 2009 - 19:46.

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

Sponsored Content

#2 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 22:40

Beautiful set! The Fp pattern looks lovely!

#3 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2009 - 23:07

Thanks for this first review of a pen from Majestic. smile.gif I'm always attracted to that broken candy stripe celluloid pattern, and the coloration on this Majestic set is no exception. Really nice. If you can provide some close-up photos, Robert, please do!

Btw, is there any particular model number or name for this pen set?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#4 philm

philm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2009 - 23:57

Robert,

Great looking set. Nice work restoring it as well. You will have to bring it to the next posse meeting.

Phil

#5 Pepin

Pepin

Institutionalized

• Member - Gold

• 1,602 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:26

QUOTE (philm @ Feb 24 2009, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Robert,

Great looking set. Nice work restoring it as well. You will have to bring it to the next posse meeting.

Phil

I love these third tier pens. Hey, they need love too!

And for the money and appropriate attitude, they CAN be excellent writers with so much history. bunny01.gif

I thoroughly enjoy the review. Thank you for your time.
A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

#6 Blatherscribe

Blatherscribe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,521 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:08

Wow, that's a beautiful set. I'll have to mark it down on the List. smile.gif

Sponsored Content

|