Parker 45 vs. Parker 51

JinhaoMaster

I want to know which Parker pen is better, not the flighter models or any other, the originals, the ones with metal caps and plastic barrels. I personally like the Parker 45, whats your opinion, state the facts too please.

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

Edit: By the way which pen is better the MODERN Dupoint or Sonnet?

Edited by JinhaoMaster

http://fountainpenresource.blogspot.com/ PLEASE Visit!

Life is actually very simple, we just insist on making it complicated.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frolland

• JinhaoMaster

• AndyH

• ac12

51 feels nicer in my hand (I love the hooded nib). Perfect length and girth. Sonnet vs Duofold? I prefer Duofold. Never a fan of lacquered brass pens

The 45 just feels cheep to me. The 51 feels like it's much better quality....probably because it is. In terms of writing experience, there's not too much difference other than the spring you get with a 45. Both are super smooth writers.

The "51" is much higher quality pen IMO, and is considered a classic among vintage enthusiasts. The 45... not so much....

Of course this depends on what your primary interest is.

If you like a softer, wetter nib that writes smoothly, and would prefer more pens for the same money, a Parker 45 is a very decent writer that is easily affordable and easily replaced if lost or broken.

The 51 is unquestionably a higher quality pen, and the materials feel beautiful in the hand and on the paper. Nibs are much stiffer and that perfect 51 in midnight blue or plum with a gold filled cap will be hard to replace if lost or broken.

I have a couple of each and love them all, but for different reasons, and use them for different purposes.

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

The 45 does feel pretty cheap. The flighter is good, though. I use the 45 more though- the 51 just doesn't do "it" for me. I like the 45 because there are so many nib options, with nibs being easily swappable.

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

i like the way the 45 feels in the hand and i keep a few of them around, but one thing i worry about with 45s is the tendency of the section (if not the barrel itself) to warp over time. the section develops bumps and loses its clean, streamlined shape--maybe not for all 45s, but i've had it happen to many of mine. the 51's plastics seem much firmer and more stable (i have a few as well).

Check out my blog and my pens

The "51":

- higher build quality, better materials, more solid feel, better ink feed, greater ink capacity, greater longevity.

+1 on the above.....But just about every P-45 I ever tried was a very smooth writer.......I have one in regular rotation.

Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

Hmm... I've never had that problem with any of my 45s penmanila. I do have a couple where the body cracked just above the gold band though. But both the 45 and 51 are among my very favorite pens.

RevAaron - I didn't know P45 nibs could be swapped easily. Is this a DIY procedure for the fairly handy pen owner? Any instructions on any of the pen forums or websites? thanks!

Hmm... I've never had that problem with any of my 45s penmanila. I do have a couple where the body cracked just above the gold band though. But both the 45 and 51 are among my very favorite pens.

RevAaron - I didn't know P45 nibs could be swapped easily. Is this a DIY procedure for the fairly handy pen owner? Any instructions on any of the pen forums or websites? thanks!

45 nib units unscrew from the section. As to the original question, I never have warmed up to the 45. If I had to choose I'd take the 51.

Edited by NABodie

I like the Parker 45 as much as the 51. I only have two 51's since and a lot more 45's. Because Parker 51's are not in production I no longer use them, but I do use a 45 with XF nib every day. The XF nib is stiff and writes very smooth and the line is crisp. You can get the 45's in Fine and Medium nibs also. The all stainless versions cost as much as the plastic body versions, the only difference will be in the feeling of the pen due to the weight. If you want this pen for every day use and not want to think about it get the 45. If you want a classic collectors item that will perform very well get the 51, but then you will be living in constant fear of losing it.

Edited by Steven

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

The shape, and filling supply, are better in a '51. I have never warmed up to a 45, nice but I prefer a '51.

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

The "51":

- higher build quality, better materials, more solid feel, better ink feed, greater ink capacity, greater longevity.

+1 on the above.....But just about every P-45 I ever tried was a very smooth writer.......I have one in regular rotation.

While no 45 I've ever used has been anything but a scratchy poor writer.

I've bought $6 User Grade "51"s that write better.

I've never had a scratchy 45, but they clearly are not as well made as the 51s.

Thanks for the information NABodie! I never knew that, and I've got severasl 45s...

An essentially new 45 can typically be gotten for well less than half of a worn user 51. I have a hand full of 45s (all excellent condition) and they are all very smooth writers. A nice 45 at common market price is the best vintage FP writing bargain available, IMO. But a 45 is no match for a similar condition 51, once price is discounted. The build quality of the 51 is much higher, and it's just better looking. The best example of the 45s, that being the "Flighter" model without the plastic barrel end, looks pretty nice, but still "no cigar" in appearance compared to any 51 (again, IMO).

Nihonto Chicken

I've never liked the shape of the 45. I appreciate the swappability of the nib, but that step to the nib unit and section is ugly. On top of that, the 45 is too fat in the middle or too skinny on the ends.

I vote 51.

I've always believed personal preference, not build quality, nib size, nib feel or any other factors like that decreed whether or not one liked a pen.

I have both. The 45 is a durable well built pen, probably the most accessable quality pen through the 60s to the 80s for most people and is the pen Parker inherited when they bought Eversharp. The 51, well a classic pen, built and designed well . The longevity is obvious as there are plenty out there. Put them side by side, use both and it becomes an easier choice. The 51 is a better pen, no doubt about that. The 45 is a good pen but not a great pen, the nibs just don't have "it" for me ( and I've got them in gold,steel and gold plate).

Regards

Hugh

I've yet to have an example of either that couldn't be brought around to writing nicely, although the "sweet spot" on most 45 points is rather small. Depending on the day of the week, if I'm in a Parker mood at all, I might go with either. The 45 has strange proportions, to be sure, but there's a bit of the early '60s vibe to that (1961 Chev Impala with the strange sideways fins, narrow tie and a narrow-brimmed hat, broad and shallow martini...) while the "51" has the utilitarian optimism of the effort to beat back the most successful world-domination effort to date (Hitler might have held slightly less territory than Rome, but it took the Romans a LOT longer) and then rebuild the war-shattered nations in the wake of that effort.

I invest a little too much imagination in the pens, don't I?

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg