New rules for the Chatter forum

Admin

I have mixed feelings about the change.

I am a member at a few other forums that represent my various hobbies. By the nature of the hobbies, the socio-political topics tend to lean heavily to one side of the aisle. While making for an environment that is non-confrontational (mostly), the discussions are not very educational.

I think we learn from having civilized discussions with people who see things differently than we do. Our minds may not get changed, but we will be exposed to things we might not otherwise have been. Having that go away is a loss to all.

That being said, while I feel a sense of loss that the discussions are going away, I understand the need to insulate the membership from those few who constantly feel the need to yell "fire" in the crowded theatre. My hope is that in a few months this issue can be revisited and perhaps alternatives can be considered.

Edited by openionated

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gehaha

• jmkeuning

• Hugh200au

• AndyH

If any one man breaks the Law, Fluffy he shall meet:

http://easybmp.sourceforge.net/images/Steganography/FluffyStego_NoAlpha.png

That is all.

What a cute little guy!

Regards,

Ray

"1. No overtly political or religious threads." bravo! finally! freedom from ranters! ;)

I cannot tell a lie - I will miss the Chatter discussions about politics and religion. They have been good for my personal growth in that they have provided opportunities for me to better understand those whose points of view differ from mine.

I remember a couple of years ago when some of these discussions got downright nasty, and if the prohibition guidelines had been instituted then it would not have been surprising. But in recent memory, these discussions have been remarkably civilized so the prohibition at this time is a bit surprising. But I understand that monitoring these discussions must be time consuming for the moderators.

At any rate, I promise to abide by the rules. If I initiate any topics in Chatter, I'll be sure they are of a fairly trivial nature.

Judybug

Edited by Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

I joined this network for Pen talk and that's still what I am interested in. Chatter is a nice sideline sometimes and when the subject is interesting and people are being respectful, then I enjoy it quite a lot. Seems to me that there is more than enough hurt, hate, and discontent in the world. I can get all of that I want with a 5 minute news synopsis every day! I like a lot of the people here much better when they aren't bashing my country, political party or religion. These subjects seem to bring out the venom in otherwise nice folks.

SO... Good job on the rules and I will be glad to do all in my power to stay within them!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I joined this network for Pen talk and that's still what I am interested in. Chatter is a nice sideline sometimes and when the subject is interesting and people are being respectful, then I enjoy it quite a lot. Seems to me that there is more than enough hurt, hate, and discontent in the world. I can get all of that I want with a 5 minute news synopsis every day! I like a lot of the people here much better when they aren't bashing my country, political party or religion. These subjects seem to bring out the venom in otherwise nice folks.

SO... Good job on the rules and I will be glad to do all in my power to stay within them!

A simple point of view and very well put !! Who can argue with that.

Regards

Hugh

I'm always a bit reluctant to get into discussions about religion or politics, let alone trying to change other people's believes with a few words. After all, I wouldn't change my opinions simply because someone said I should. I respect other people's convictions, even if I don't agree with them.

I've found it fascinating following some of the debates here. I sit and gasp 'How could you believe that?' to the screen, but they clearly do. As someone with a keen interest in all things sociocultural, I look to the explanation in what we take as given in any given society. There are clearly cross-cultural differences in the way we all view the rights and responsibilities of the individual and government. To read an articulate posting of someone's belief does provide insights into why people think the way they do. The resort to an aggressive tone does the poster a disservice to him or herself.

That's one of the things I enjoy most about watching films: the taken–for–granted background against which the story is played out. the way people eat, the transport they use, the houses they live in. There is so much to learn about the world. I was going to post something in a discussion about steak knives saying that bone handled knives from the mid-C20 were great to sharpen, but I didn't even know whether these were common in the US!

Good work by the moderators, and thank you for doing what must have been a difficult piece of writing.

I think the change is overkill. Close a topic when it gets offensive or personal, but as long as it doesn't get offensive or personal, let it go on. A little free for all debate, now and then, is good for the spirit and mind.

Most people here are considerate and able to talk about these subjects without problem. Sometimes a few among us can't. In those cases, closure of the specific offending topics should do the trick. If it continues, the habitual offender can be banned out if need be.

Edited by Ray-Vigo

I'm kind of glad for it. Maybe this means I can actually start wading back into Chatter a little more often without being slapped in the face with outright rudeness and obvious lack of fact checking every other post.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

He who says he knows but does not act does not yet know.
~ Wang Yangming

When I grow up I want to be just like Calvin.

~ Me

Well put.

Kathryn

Why, sometimes I'd like to take a switchblade and a peppermint and a Cadillac and throw it all in a fire.

Danitrio Fellowship

I think the change is overkill. Close a topic when it gets offensive or personal, but as long as it doesn't get offensive or personal, let it go on. A little free for all debate, now and then, is good for the spirit and mind.

Most people here are considerate and able to talk about these subjects without problem. Sometimes a few among us can't. In those cases, closure of the specific offending topics should do the trick. If it continues, the habitual offender can be banned out if need be.

I'm with Ray-Vigo: I don't like the change; it seems too stringent to me. I no fan of rudeness, or harshness, and I'm mostly here for pen talk, but I'd prefer to have fewer limits on what's acceptable subject matter.

"The surface is all you've got. You can only get beyond the surface by working with the surface." ~Richard Avedon

I agree whole heartedly with several of the new laws and am totally against others.

I had a more detailed comment laden post but decided not to post it.

As a guest here I will have to abide by the rules or stay out of chatter.

K

Since this is a fountain pen forum, and not a country, the question doesn't carry much urgency. No need to worry about moderators for the moderators.

Regards,

Ray

I would like to propose a Rules Forum.

You know, a forum specifically dedicated to discussing the rules.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

I agree whole heartedly with several of the new laws and am totally against others.

I had a more detailed comment laden post but decided not to post it.

As a guest here I will have to abide by the rules or stay out of chatter.

K

Hello Kurt,

There are always people who feel offended by nearly everything - like in daily life.

The exchange of thoughts and opinions could be fun, even if very controversial.

But if you always have to watch out the "offensive possibilities" of what is said, the fun fades away

and everybody starts maneuvering with the FPN kind of political correctness.

The whole thing gets taken too serious, too personal...

For me the only choice is, staying out as good as possible.

My limited english doesn't make things easier.

It's the same for a lot of foreign members.

A good friend of mine is only seldom seen here because of a "ban thread". It happened to me also,

when I made a joke about the B... Collection at fleabay - I thought a horse is kicking at me...and I nearly left.

I have really a lot of very good experience with very nice people here - next week a penpal from the US will visit me

in Germany with his wife. Couldn't even imagine such an event a year ago. I'm full of pleasant anticipation...

Like is said before, I'm also deeply grateful for the administrator's and moderator's work.

BUT - the more "censorship" thinking around, that urges the mods to ease the mind of easily offended people...

No, that's not my cup of tea. The new chatter rules include a lot of options to fall into the "ban trap".

I will wait and see...

Best,

Anna

I'm not a native speaker of the english language. My apologies in advance when I'm causing trouble by bad grammar, wrong vocabulary, misspelling - friendly correction always welcome!

"...I still believe that people are really good at heart."

Anne Frank, "Diary" (14 years old)

The Wet Squad :notworthy1:

Hello,

would you please be so kind and translate,

what is ment here?

Thank you,

Anna

I'm not a native speaker of the english language. My apologies in advance when I'm causing trouble by bad grammar, wrong vocabulary, misspelling - friendly correction always welcome!

"...I still believe that people are really good at heart."

Anne Frank, "Diary" (14 years old)

I would like to propose a Rules Forum.

You know, a forum specifically dedicated to discussing the rules.

I think this deserves a forum of its own. The forum for discussion of a forum to discuss the rules.

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

Overkill for those who behave, but not so for those who don't. And the whole reason for the new rules is precisely because of that--we've had too many instances were people get out of hand. This new writeup is intended to help make it clear to everyone how to play along. You won't notice anything different if people are civil...

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small