The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

New rules for the Chatter forum

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
86 replies to this topic

#1 Admin

Admin

The FPN Admin Team

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 16:38

Dear fellow Members,

We would like to highlight the new Chatter Rules to you all.

Our thanks in advance for adhering to them.

The FPN Admin Team.
This account is unmanaged.
Please direct questions and comments to FPN Admin email, or directly to admin Wim (wimg).

Thank you very much in advance.

Warm regards,
The FPN Admin Team

Sponsored Content

#2 amh210

amh210

Venerable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2009 - 22:04

QUOTE (FPN Admin Team @ Feb 21 2009, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear fellow Members,

We would like to highlight the new Chatter Rules to you all.

Our thanks in advance for adhering to them.

The FPN Admin Team.

I re-read the guidelines referred above. Is it the intent to now allow a free-flowing discussion about the substance of the guidelines? It does not appear to be against the guidelines to do so.

Of course, a discussion about the guidelines does not presume that they will change or be interpreted in a particular way.

Having been on the receiving end of moderator action for even discussing the guidelines and their application, I wanted to ask in advance if this is now permissible. If it isn't permissible, perhaps the prohibition should be added to the guidelines.

Respectfully,

Andy
"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA
Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.
For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

#3 shadowsforbars

shadowsforbars

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 00:48

I value the work of the moderators.

I will try to be a good boy and not abuse my privileges.

#4 RayMan

RayMan

Penathlete

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2009 - 00:49

Very sensible rules. Thanks moderators!
Regards,

Ray

#5 Opus104

Opus104

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,098 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:22

Andy,

Amusing. smile.gif Guidelines about the guidelines . . . Made my evening.

#6 jmkeuning

jmkeuning

Stick a fork in me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:30

Once again, the dancing bunny survives!

bunny01.gif bunny01.gif
Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

#7 CharlieB

CharlieB

French Roast Coffee

• Member - Gold

• 2,167 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:44

Excellent guidelines. I support them.
CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

#8 penmanila

penmanila

Vacumaniac

• Member - Gold

• 4,264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:52

"1. No overtly political or religious threads." bravo! finally! freedom from ranters! wink.gif

Check out my blog and my pens

#9 BerneseMtDogEatsArco

BerneseMtDogEatsArco

Berner Certified.

• Member - Gold

• 994 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:55

Good set of rules!

If anyone wants to flame/retard/swap freaky images/etc then there are about 3,000 other forums to do it at. I think I saw a forum that was specifically for flaming, in fact.

Another great job - thanks!
I'll take an Aurora, please. Aurora black.

#10 AndyH

AndyH

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 866 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 18:37

I understand and appreciate this change, but I have to say that there have been quite a few interesting and productive discussions on political topics that tid not degenerate into namecalling and flame wars. I have particularly enjoyed engaging with RussA and yachtsilverswan on a variety of topics. It's a very understandable change though, all things considered.
I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

#11 amh210

amh210

Venerable

• Member - Gold

• 1,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2009 - 19:17

QUOTE (Opus104 @ Feb 21 2009, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Andy,

Amusing. smile.gif Guidelines about the guidelines . . . Made my evening.

I recognize the irony but I actually intended it to be a serious question!
"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA
Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.
For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

#12 Pippin60

Pippin60

Still tilting at windmills

• Member - Gold

• 2,334 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 19:21

Thank You.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

#13 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 19:23

QUOTE (AndyH @ Feb 22 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand and appreciate this change, but I have to say that there have been quite a few interesting and productive discussions on political topics that tid not degenerate into namecalling and flame wars. I have particularly enjoyed engaging with RussA and yachtsilverswan on a variety of topics. It's a very understandable change though, all things considered.

While I want to say that many folks benefited from these civil discussions, I'll be careful and speak for myself. I hope that this kind of discourse is allowed to flourish here.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#14 AndyH

AndyH

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 866 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 19:49

ethernautrix - One of the most difficult things for anyone who believes passionately in their politics or their religion is to realize that others of good will and intelligence, faced with similar "facts" may interpret them differently and come to different conclusions. For one, I sincerely appreciate the efforts of good souls like Russ and Ray to look at the other side of the coin on occasion. Their contributions have opened my mind as well. I hope that the avoidance of political topics does not make this type of dialogue disappear from these forums - it is rare to find them anywhere on the Intertubes.

However on any moderated forum it can easily become an impossible (and thankless!) task to police these threads. A forum I used to participate in is based on "free speech" principles and has been taken over completely by name callers and flamers. Even using a "virtual" ignore button is impossible there.

I do love talking about economics, history, and military affairs, especially on subjects where I feel qualified to venture an informed opinion. It does those of us with strong views some real good to realize that those who disagree do not necessarily fit the stereotypes of an Ann Coulter or Michael Moore.

Anyway, thank you for your opinion - it's always rewarding to know that your participation in a discussion has been of some use or interest to others! smile.gif
I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

#15 spotted and speckled

spotted and speckled

Miami, Florida

• Member - Gold

• 829 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2009 - 22:43

QUOTE (ethernautrix @ Feb 22 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (AndyH @ Feb 22 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I want to say that many folks benefited from these civil discussions, I'll be careful and speak for myself. I hope that this kind of discourse is allowed to flourish here.

I would like to say that the religious/political discussions I have seen here have been more fruitful than many others I have seen. Since we are so diverse, the exchange of ideas has been enlightening to me. I'd like to echo the sentiment that some discourse is allowed to flourish here.

Perhaps a politics and/or religion subsection is possible? That way people easily offended by those subjects could steer clear of them.
Much Love--Virginia

#16 Scrybe

Scrybe

Thread Killer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 23:17

A long-overdue and thoroughlyconstructive tightening up of chatter.

As for a politics/religion subsection...as someone interested in both (politics was my career afterall), I'd have to vote No. I'm not easily offended by comments I disagree with, but find the childish nature often displayed in so-called discussions of these topics frankly quite pathetic. I wouldn't miss the absence of such baiting.
What an Oxford tutor does is to get a little group of students together and smoke at them. Men who have been systematically smoked at for four years turn into ripe scholars... A well-smoked man speaks and writes English with a grace that can be acquired in no other way.

#17 OboeJuan

OboeJuan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 965 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:16

Edited by OboeJuan, 23 February 2009 - 06:35.

Why, sometimes I'd like to take a switchblade and a peppermint and a Cadillac and throw it all in a fire.

Danitrio Fellowship

#18 JimStrutton

JimStrutton

The Jedi Knightmare is back....

• Member - Gold

• 4,343 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:07

Dear Members,

Just clear up some confusion. The New Chatter Rules were not created by IANAN on a whim. IANAN was the excellent 'Project Manager' for the creation of these rules, drafting and circulating endless revisions to the Moderation and Admin team, incorporating the latest ideas and re-circulating the product. For his pains he was given the dubious pleasure of posting that final release version that you see here today. (The real reason was that he was the only one we could trust to have the latest and greatest version headsmack.gif )

So please do not attack IANAN either publicly or by PM, don't shoot the messenger! These rules are sanctioned by the whole of the Moderation and Admin team and therefore any complaints should be addressed to FPN Admin Team

Regards,

Jim
Admin
Obi Won WD40
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

#19 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:31

QUOTE (jmkeuning @ Feb 22 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Once again, the dancing bunny survives!

bunny01.gif bunny01.gif

Yippee!!! I'm warming up to using him bunny01.gif

Posted Image Posted Image

#20 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:41

I'm personally glad the discussion of politics and religion are going away. smile.gif
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Sponsored Content

|