Review of Camlin Trinity:

shrujaya

Hello friends…

I had written in one of my earlier posts that I had visited this town called Malappuram in Kerala and I had also written about the various models of Chelpark fountain pens that I’d chanced upon there…and the most pleasant surprise was finding a Camlin Trinity fountain pen on the first day of my visit itself…

Camlin is a long-standing pen and ink and other stationery manufacturing company in India and makes inexpensive fountain pens…and for most of us the first fountain pen that we got to use was usually Camlin…and many of us also have lots of memories of their first Camlin FPs…

I had seen a photo of Trinity in the Camlin website and from among the fountain pens featured in the website, this was the most good looking and the most expensive (Rs.70/-; around 1½ dollars) (of course, I didn’t know that Camlin had already brought out their signature pen called ‘SD’ in honour of their founder Sharad Dandekar which is Rs.600; check out Hari’s intro post on this pen in market watch). I couldn’t find this pen in the big pen stores that I usually visit in Hyderabad, and therefore it was a nice surprise to see this pen in Malappuram. It must have been a left over pen or a never-bought pen because of its price considering the size of the town. Anyway, I bought this pen and the pen looked really good for its price. And the cardboard box in which it was housed said, ‘FIRST TIME IN INDIA: 3-IN-1 INK FILLING MECHANISM.’ Ink can be filled through a convertor (comes along with the pen), or a cartridge can be used or the pen can also be used as an ED FP. This could be the reason why it is called ‘Trinity.’

Looks-wise and considering its cost, the Trinity looks really good with a brushed steel cap and a black plastic body. I would give it 8 out of 10.

Cost-wise, I would grab the pen just as I did as soon as I saw it. The packed date on the sticker on the pack says 4/08. So, it isn’t a really old left leftover pen as I had surmised. For its looks the cost is appropriate. No hassles here.

The most interesting part is the clip, which is gold coloured and not very wide. The clip originates from the centre of the upwardly tapering cap and kind of flows down till just above the company and model name engraved at the cap lip…like a tuft of hair flowing down from the top of a shaven head…the name Camlin and TRINITY are engraved at the cap lip.

Once the pen is uncapped, you see gold coloured trimmings at the neck of the section…and a gold coloured nib…the nib doesn’t have a hole, though there is a faint circular indentation at the end of the slit on the nib…the nib itself is smallish and is curved on both sides half embracing the feeder…only half of the feeder can be seen and it has got horizontal fins running around the feeder (this kind of feeder has a technical name, I am sure). A gold coloured ring forms the border between the section and the barrel…this ring is not fixed, and therefore comes loose whenever the barrel is opened.

I filled the convertor with Sheaffer Skrip Black ink. The nib is tipped ‘fine’ and lays down a fine wet line while writing with a hint of writing whisper. The nib is not ‘butter’ smooth, but is not scratchy either. The flow is smooth and looks like the feeder is functioning well. I wouldn’t take back points for lack of ‘butter’ smoothness.

Vital statistics:

Triple filler: convertor, cartridge, ED

Snap cap

5 ½ inches capped; close to 6 inches posted; and close to 4 ½ inches uncapped

‘fine’ tipped nib

Tapered cap and barrel

Here are some pictures…

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/1Camlintrinitycapped.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/2Camlintrinityuncapped.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/3Camlintrinityposted.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/4Camlintrinitycapcloseup.jpg

Close up of cap with its brushed steel finish

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/5Camlintrinitysectionandnib.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/6Camlintrinityfeeder.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/7Camlintrinityconvertor.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/8Camlintrinitylogo.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/9Camlintrinitybox.jpg

The obverse side of the box which shows the three different ways in which ink can be filled…

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/10Camlintrinitywritingsample.jpg

A writing sample

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/11AllCamlins.jpg

Since I am reviewing a Camlin FP, I thought I might as well display all my Camlin FPs…from left to right…Camlin 47, 34, Cute, Camlin 2, 3R, and 36…with Trinity forming the straight line…

I feel this is the most ‘academic’ post that I’ve written so far. Comments are welcome.

Regards,

Shrujaya

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• agraguy

• mehandiratta

• hari317

• Revolution

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Shrujaya, a very interesting pen. Particularly that clip and the 'blind' nib. I would suggest that 'butter' will be achieved after a few months heavy use.

The world of Indian pens is fascinating to us westerners, and this pen (for $1.5 - around £1!) is a fine contributor.

Thank you.

Greg

Member of the No.1 Club

The tri-filling system is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing your Indian pens with the rest of the world.

Looking to exchange ink samples! Available: Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange

Thanks for reviewing the Trinity Jai. I am yet to see this pen in person. Hope to on my next visit to Hyderabad.

Best,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Wow, thanks Shrujaya, did'nt know Camlin made such wonderful FP's, this and the SD which Hari reviewed.

Regards-Moin.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the great review! I recently received a 3R and need some advice on filling it. Can it be used as an eyedropper or do I need to use a cartridge or converter? If it uses cartridges, what kind? Thanks for your help. Nr

Edited by Nrepose

If it weren't for pens, I might go insane. They tell me that everything is going to be alright and I believe them.

Unposted

• 3 months later...

Well I'd thought about reviewing this great little pen but see you've beat me to it.

Coincidentally this is the pen I'm using in my avatar.

Here are a couple more pics:

Front of box with pens

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8862/pensandink054.jpg

Between a Vanishing Point and a Hero 329 for size comparison

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9624/pensandink055.jpg

Thanks for the review. I wish these were more readily available in the States. Great traveling pen with the versatile filling options.

Edited by mrloco

There never was a body that give the undertaker a tip.

Learn something new everyday at this forum. Thanks shrujaya for the review!

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

Learn something new everyday at this forum. Thanks shrujaya for the review!

PMS

Me too! Thanks shrujaya! My interpretation of the unique clip is that it is a nod to the tassel. Indian FPs are interesting. (Wonders when Hari will have some more for sale.)

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

• 11 months later...

hi thanks for the review

i am also collecting camlin fp

i have almost all of them accept 36 and SD

SD is expencive and 36 is not available would you pls tell me from where to it through post

Hi Abhi...thanks for visiting...so, how do you like your Trinity? Where do you live? You can actually leave a message on the Camlin website through their feedback section with your contact details and they'd forward it to their local representative who'd call you...at least this is what happened to me when I wanted to know who stocks SD in Hyderabad...or you can call on the numbers given on their website, and they'd tell you...again, this happened to me...but, I don't think that they'd send you the pen by post...

Happy hunting...

Shrujaya

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

• 1 month later...

Using one for the past 2 years! While I was working in India, my Trinity's ink ran out (since I had filled it directly in the barrel) and the customer I was dealing with began to giggle! Little did he know that I had a cartridge in my bag and that I had a Camlin Trinity in my hand ... not just some local FP !

I love the FPs I used as a kid. I would even line the threads with Vicks nasal balm, Tiger balm or Vaseline to act like a sealant :).. those were the days !!!

Give your 100% to everything you do ..... except donating blood.

Thanks for the review. I got one of these from hari earlier this year and your take on the pen seems on the mark to me.

Nice review and a nice pen indeed , I gave my 10th board English exam with somewhat same looking pen it truly writes like butter !!

Edited by Fullmetalmax

• 3 months later...

Great review. I am just getting into Camlin's myself as I am working in India. And I just bought my first Trinity. I'm amazed at the pen you can get for the money!

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

I am a new member. I have all these Camlin pens with me! I love the Camlin 47-P the most.

Deepak

Thanks and regards,

Deepak BM

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Thanks for reviewing the Trinity Jai. I am yet to see this pen in person. Hope to on my next visit to Hyderabad.

Best,

Hari

Hi Hari, how do you rate this pen. esp how do you compare this with pilot tank, and wality 69 TL.

Hi Hari, how do you rate this pen. esp how do you compare this with pilot tank, and wality 69 TL.

I did use a Trinity for a while. I think it is an ordinary pen, just OK. I feel the 69TL is better made, has the bigger size that i prefer. But this is just my personal opinion, other's opinions will vary. The Pilot tank is a very well made ED pen for the money.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.