Romet Fountain Pen Review, Brief

John Cullen

This is a little embarassing to admit. I don't usually rush into buying a new pen, especially if I am not familiar with the brand. However, my wife and I were looking at the Romet fountain pens and we each ended up ordering one for separate sellers. She got the Panda (white and black) and I got the red swirly one.

These are large pens, easily the size of the MB 149. They colors on the plastic are fantastic, though I would like to mention that the Panda is NOT black and white but translucent and black swirls.

The caps are really quite heavy, and if you are a confirmed poster you might not like the extra weight back there.

I am writing this review because while my wife methodically opened hers and saved the packaging and dipped the pen, I tore into mine and plugged in a cartridge and started writing.

The nib is a german steel, and many of these nibs are really quite good. The nib on mine was bad. Very scratchy. What a horrible disappointment, especially since I had inked it and the seller would not take it back. Oh well, that was made clear on the website and I was the one who inked it.

My wife dipped hers so she could return it it necessary. Dang good thing. Hers was even worse. I mean this was the all out worst out of the box nib I have had in twenty years of using pens.

So I want to write this to caution people to dip first if they get this pen because the two nibs I got were really really bad, and also pretty loose in the section.

It may not be fair to be so negative against a new brand based just on two pens, but these were pretty bad. Given that steel nibs like that cost around $5 to make (or less), it is not a good thing that these got out of the quality control line, especially since supposedly this company tests each one, as was stated in a post by someone on Pentrace a few weeks ago.

So keep your packaging and dip first if you try one of these.

I hope someone else can report a better experience.

The colors of the plastic are great, the finish on the cap band is nice, clip is ok..... Think Laban Mento (the big one) with maybe a little better finish work.

I guess I will send it back for another nib or maybe see if they will send me a roller ball section to convert the FP to an RB.

John Cullen

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Cullen

• isellpens

• petra

• tdodson

Thanks for the review! I have to admitt that the finishes on these pens caught my eye. I was wondering what kind of writers they were... too bad about your experience, let's hope the company makes it right.

Better luck next time!

Petra

• 4 months later...

First, of all I would like to state I did not sell these particular pens as I stand my pens as everyone knows. Romet is a very new Pen Company. This review concerns me as I hate to see such nice new line get a bad wrap.

Romet guarantees all products. I have had several conversations with the company owner and he is a stand up nice guy. He has been in this business many years and involved in major been company's like Libelle and was one of former owners. I have sold several Romet fountain pens from my site at: www.isellpens.com . I have never received a single complaint about the nibs.

Fyi..the new line of Romet pens are going to have a Schmidt nib on them. Anyone who buys a Romet pen can dip it or ink it and if they don't like it return it to me for a refund.

My name is Tom Dodson and I am the President of Romet Products USA, Inc.

It was brought to my attention that a post to your network occurred today which raised issues concerning the quality of our Romet Products.

I have been in the writing instrument and leather products business for many years; being the original developer and importer of Waterford Writing Instruments.

To eliminate any concerns please be advised that all of our products carry a full lifetime guarantee against any manufacturing defect. If you are ever unhappy with our products for any reason please do not hesitate to contact our authorized distributor from whom you purchased our products; or myself directly at tomdodson@romet.us

Romet since it's beginning in 1979 takes quality extremely seriously; and welcomes your comments. All of our products can be viewed online at http://www.romet.us

Best regards & I look forward to hearing from you anytime you are unhappy for any reason.

Thanks,

Tom Dodson

President

Romet Products USA. Inc.

Howdy All,

I wrote the original Romet review. You can find my followup under a response written to judybug on the general writing instrument board. I have cut and pasted that review below. As I say in the review, Romet was very responsive and helpful and resolved the situation. I certainly would not want Mr. Dodson to think I accepted his great customer service without acknowledging it. jc

ORIGINAL RESPONSE TO JUDYBUG:

I wrote the negative review of Romet you mentioned. I bought two Romet fountain pens. The first one I dipped was so-so. I returned it.

The second one I inked, and it was so bad it literally ripped the paper. There was some really large burr on the side of the tipping material. I could not get a refund because I had inked it, so I emailed Romet and got a rollerball unit and sent back to them the nib.

The person I spoke with at Romet was very nice and helpful.

Now let's be honest. I tried two of their pens. Maybe I got the only two they made that month that were inferior? I hate to blast an entire company based on having tried two pens! In some ways, that does not seem fair to them. But the one nib that was so bad should never have passed even a basic QC.

The plastic was nice looking, the finish very nice but very simple, much like Laban.

I would say give it a try but buy from some place that will take a refund on an inked pen. Then all you can lose is your postage both ways.

• 5 years later...

Hmm, I got to this review by clicking the "Rosetta º Sedona • By Vanrensalier¨¨(Reddish Amber, Schmidt F nib)" link on the index.

The link provided by the rep now only seems to be an electric larynx, sigh.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

My name is Tom Dodson and I am the President of Romet Products USA, Inc.

It was brought to my attention that a post to your network occurred today which raised issues concerning the quality of our Romet Products.

I have been in the writing instrument and leather products business for many years; being the original developer and importer of Waterford Writing Instruments.

To eliminate any concerns please be advised that all of our products carry a full lifetime guarantee against any manufacturing defect. If you are ever unhappy with our products for any reason please do not hesitate to contact our authorized distributor from whom you purchased our products; or myself directly at tomdodson@romet.us

Romet since it's beginning in 1979 takes quality extremely seriously; and welcomes your comments. All of our products can be viewed online at http://www.romet.us

Best regards & I look forward to hearing from you anytime you are unhappy for any reason.

Thanks,

Tom Dodson

President

Romet Products USA. Inc.

I have seen no pens :wacko: :huh: ;)