a law student who is the only one in class that

lawdr

:D that doesn't bring a laptop!!!!!

I write with my fountain pen and paper, while everyone else uses a laptop (but I do take the exams with my laptop).

I do not have much of a collection.

I have a Montblanc FP 144 (the most brittle one that everyone is criticizing!!!) which my girlfriend gave me as a present, and a Parker Sonnet FP. Sometimes, I use a ballpoint pen (Montblanc 164), but please don't hate me for that :D .

I am saving up money to buy a Karajan FP from Montblanc, and I want to know what everyone thinks of that one :blush:

Thanks!

Edited by lawdr

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lawdr

• chad234

• Blade Runner

• krz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to FPN! There are plenty of people here who are MontBlanc fans -- and just as many varied opinions! :lol: I have one and the nib is first class. Sweet of your girlfriend to get you such a nice gift!

I have colleagues who take their notes on laptop at meetings... and I'm quite happy to be there with my fountain pens.

I say, enjoy!

Petra

/:)

I had the same experience in Law School. Using good pens made taking notes a breeze and fun.

What school are you at?

Welcome to the FPN!!!

BTW:

I love MB pens. . .

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/9273/pen0150az.jpg

Edited by chad234

Nothing wrong with Montblancs by the look of it!

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Welcome to FPN! There are plenty of people here who are MontBlanc fans -- and just as many varied opinions! :lol: I have one and the nib is first class. Sweet of your girlfriend to get you such a nice gift!

I have colleagues who take their notes on laptop at meetings... and I'm quite happy to be there with my fountain pens.

I say, enjoy!

Petra

/:)

yes, I am lucky to have a GF who gives me a fountain pen as a present :D.

Which MB FP do you own, if I could ask?

I am glad to see someone who is with me on the laptop vs fountain pen situation :D

I had the same experience in Law School.  Using good pens made taking notes a breeze and fun.

What school are you at?

Welcome to the FPN!!!

BTW:

I love MB pens. . . 

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/9273/pen0150az.jpg

I totally agree with you Chad. And thanks for the warm welcome.

I go to U of Washington Law School, in Seattle. I came here about 7 months ago from Boston ( where I did my grad degree in MIT), and I say, the people here are much nicer and more easy going than those in Boston. Love it so far! So, you must be currently a lawyer? In which field of law are you?

BTW: Is that an actual picture of your collection? If so, they look awesome!!

Edited by lawdr

yep. But I have to admit that I am more focused on the design than on the actual quality. I am pretty sure that the Lamy pens could beat MB in terms of pure writing quality.

Hello and welcome to FPN! Always good to have more folks join up. Hope law school is going well - I'm sure the FPs make it more bearable. See you around.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hello and welcome to FPN! Always good to have more folks join up. Hope law school is going well - I'm sure the FPs make it more bearable. See you around.

thanks for the welcome B) The FPs make the law school definitely more bearable! :lol:

yep. But I have to admit that I am more focused on the design than on the actual quality. I am pretty sure that the Lamy pens could beat MB in terms of pure writing quality.

Lawdr,

Some cheaper pens may write as well as some MBs, no argument there,

but it sounds like you want something beyond a nice nib.

You'll get both overall quality and an appealing design with MBs, especially

at the level of the pens you are discussing. I always recommend

test driving the nib to ensure that it is to your liking.

Chad, Nice looking collection!

MBs are also among my favorite modern brands.

Would love to hear more about them some time.

Lawdr,

Some cheaper pens may write as well as some MBs, no argument there,

but it sounds like you want something beyond a nice nib.

You'll get both overall quality and an appealing design with MBs, especially

at the level of the pens you are discussing. I always recommend

test driving the nib to ensure that it is to your liking.

Chad, Nice looking collection!

MBs are also among my favorite modern brands.

Would love to hear more about them some time.

That's true. :blush: The reason I don't really worry too much about the writing quality is because I think most of the MB FPs have good nibs anyway. Once the price passes above $300 or so, I don't think there will be a notable quality difference between the nibs, which doesn't bother me at all. But I surely will take your advise on the test driving the nib. Thanks! :D

Thanks guys, those are my Mont Blancs, which write very well indeed. They are a 145 Chopin, 146 LeGrand, Boheme, Generation and Star Walker.

I do not consider them a status thing at all, they are fantastic writing tools. I really believe that my decent grades in law schoolwere a direct result of using FPs to take extensive notes. Back then it was primarily a Caran d' Ache LeMan and a Pelikan 800. Third year I started to branch out, and that 145 put plenty of ink to paper.

I used a Pelikan 605 to write the vast majority of the bar exam, and can not imagine the pain of those who used a disposable ball point.

So, you must be currently a lawyer? In which field of law are you?

Yes, I work for the Amberg & Engelhardt in Michigan.

I primarily practice family law, and also represent a large police union in civil litigation and employment matters.

Once the price passes above $300 or so, I don't think there will be a notable quality difference between the nibs, which doesn't bother me at all.

Wait until you try the ST Dupont Orpheo or Cartier Diablo!!!

Seriously though, my Waterman Phileas writes better than most pens costing 10x the price.

I write with my fountain pen and paper, while everyone else uses a laptop (but I do take the exams with my laptop).

I always wrote my blue book essay exams with a Parker 51 and Quink

washable blue while everyone else was writing with pencils and pasty

bps. Felt lt like a formula 1 racer passing minivans. B)

Welcome to the profession. We didn't have lap-tops when I was in law school.

In law school, I took notes with my old trusty Parker 45. I bought an Osmiroid for its Italic nib, and wrote exams with it. Not the fastest fountain pen, but I liked the writing. 2nd or 3rd year I purchased a Sheaffer Targa. I think I used that one for the Bar Exam. That pen lasted for a number of years. I liked the way you could stand it on its end, and gain attention during a meeting, deposition, or trial.

Welcome to the profession.  We didn't have lap-tops when I was in law school. 

In law school, I took notes with my old trusty Parker 45.  I bought an Osmiroid for its Italic nib, and wrote exams with it.  Not the fastest fountain pen, but I liked the writing.  2nd or 3rd year I purchased a Sheaffer Targa.  I think I used that one for the Bar Exam.  That pen lasted for a number of years.  I liked the way you could stand it on its end, and gain attention during a meeting, deposition, or trial.

Today, I finished my oral argument with the MB 144 fountain pen! I felt so confident because of this pen. :D

Edited by lawdr

I always wrote my blue book essay exams with a Parker 51 and Quink

washable blue while everyone else was writing with pencils and pasty

bps. Felt lt like a formula 1 racer passing minivans. B)

I feel confident whenever I bring one of my fine pens to an important meeting :D .

I consider it as a talisman :rolleyes:

I'm frequently in the same situation. I think my notes are better than theirs, at least I do more with my notes than they do with theirs. And if the power goes down my notes don't disappear. I also don't have to scramble for, and compete for, power outlets in the meeting rooms. Since my notes are in Noodler's Black ink even if there's a water incident my notes will do better than theirs.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I had the same experience in Law School. Using good pens made taking notes a breeze and fun.

What school are you at?

Welcome to the FPN!!!

BTW:

I love MB pens. . .

Welcome to FPN Lawdr!

Is that a Hero in your Avatar? And Chad234 is that a Hero on the top of your journal?

They look like my Hero I bought from a Japanese pen dealer. My photo is horrible but it's a cool swirly black pearl celluliod. I liked the clear jewel in the cap, kind of reminds me of Robby the Robot :) .

post-31-1144808724_thumb.jpg

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?