The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Gui Guan broad nib

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 18:25

I've gotten this Gui Guan broad nibbed fountain pen. It cost me $8.00 plus shipping. I got it with some other pens so it came out to about $9.00 counting in its share of the shipping.

Yeah, I need to learn how to take better photographs, like in focus ones.

Anyway, this pen has an actual broad nib, a trifle less broad than my Parker Frontier, but still wider than most Western mediums.

It's an aerometric filler, but I found that the filler came right off, and looked a lot like a mere converter. So I squeezed a short international cartridge onto the nipple and it worked! I still have to examine the cartridge to see if it was stretched or anything, but it worked for the time that I'd tested it with that cartridge full of Noodler's Red/Black ink.

It's a brass pen covered in lacquer or plastic so it's not a light weight pen and it can be a bit tiring if you write at odd angles as I do, but on a horizontal, or very nearly horizontal, surface it works just fine. No skipping and no trouble starting it up. Nice pen.
On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Sponsored Content

#2 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:33

Thanks for the review.

So what were the writing characteristics of the pen? Balance, ink flow, smooth nib or not?

#3 xinlei0041

xinlei0041

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:49

a Chinese pen? unsure.gif

#4 Gedion

Gedion

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:02

Thanks for the review.

So what were the writing characteristics of the pen? Balance, ink flow, smooth nib or not?

I read the review and ordered a GuiGuan 10. It arrived today. The pen has heft; slim but with
a pleasant weight in my relatively large paw. The ink flow is even using Noodler's Bulletproof black ink
and the medium nib surprisingly smooth. I work in a area where pens can disappear easily and the $8.00 price
will make this much less painful.

Sponsored Content

|