What's in your "collection" ?

Guest Denis Richard

What proportion of vintage vs. modern do you have ?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What proportion of vintage vs. modern do you have ?

• Mainly Vintage
    • Mainly Modern
    • Balanced

Guest Denis Richard

If it's older than you are, it's vintage. If not it's modern. :D

It's great tip to avoid feeling.... old. And it is as accurate a definition than any other you'll find :lol:

Edited by Denis Richard

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• woodwindmaster06

• Dillo

• kenny

I think mine is about 80% vintage-ish (I say "ish because they include pens that are about the same age as me) :P ;)

But this will definitely change in the next few months or so, in terms of percentage and actual quantity, as I will be "catching up" on some moderns. :doh: :doh:

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

How about this definition of vintage vs. modern...

If it has an ink sac and/or is a lever/button/vac/bulb/eyedropper/snorkel filler, it's vintage.

If it is an aerometric or is cartridge/converter fill. it's modern.

I know this leaves out the piston fillers, but I'll let the Pelikan fans sort that one out.

So, using this definition, I would consider aerometric Parker 51s (and its cousins, the 21 and 61) to be modern, but a vacumatic 51 would be vintage. An Esterbrook M2 (the aero fill model) would be considered modern, but a J would be vintage.

An alternative might be to consider pre-1960 pens to be vintage and post-1960 pens to be modern. 1960 seems to be a good cutoff date, because there really haven't been any new innovations in fountain pens since then. Sheaffer and Parker had perfected their cartridge fill pens by that date, and with only a few exceptions, most pens since 1960 have been cartridge/converter pens.

I don't think my Osmiroids count as vintage though they were probably made in the 70s.

KCat - what Osmiroids would they be, if you don't mind me asking?

--

Col

I started out with a few moderns, Pelikans and an Omas. Then I became curious about flex nibs and ventured into a couple vintage Watermans. One thing led to another and then almost all my pens were vintage. In the last month, things have balanced out again with a couple Danitrios.

Of course my collection is quite small and I hope to keep it that way -- a dozen pens. That way I can write with most of them regularly and enjoy my collection outside the display case. :D

But of my moderns, only half are from the current decade. The others are from the 1980's.

BruceW

There are times when you know the truth, and it is liberating. But other times you are so used to the shackles that you wait for the truth to vanish like a dream at waking.

• 9 months later...

Currently I have 12 vintage pens and 24 modern pens.

There are only a few modern pens that I would like, but there are many more vintage pens I'd like to own... :)

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Started with modern pens and now I enjoy both equally. I am especially fond of those great flexible vintage nibs.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

I started with vintage (if a Parker "51" aerometric is vintage) and then also bought a few moderns, but most of my FPs are vintage. My modern pens include Pelikan, Waterman, Parker Sonnet and Sheaffer Legacies.

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

Started with modern (i.e. bought retail/received as gifts) pens. Now trying to move into some vintage.

Currently 75% (8 out of 12) modern FP, 25% vintage. However, 2 of my vintage are recent acquisitions that must be rehabbed to get into working order.

Mine is mixed. I have some vintage Parker 51's , a few older Sheaffer, mixed with some modern Pelikan M400's and a VP.

Bob

I have mostly vintage pens, Parker 51's and Esterbrooks. I only have two modern pens.

I love old things so that is probably what attracts me to the vintage instead of the modern.

"'I will not say, "do not weep", for not all tears are an evil."

About 80 percent vintage. The biggest group are Sheaffers. Esterbrooks next. A Handful of Eversharp/Wahls. A couple of nice celluloid Waterman's Ideal pens. Some Wearevers, a few InkOgraphs, and a handful of oddballs some of which are pretty cool.

I haven't started on the Parkers yet, but I will. :) I can't remember the last time I headed out the door with a modern pen.

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Mainly vintage now, but it used to be the other way around. :D

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

My first FP was Parker 45, which takes cartridges and has converter, but all of the rest (all 4) are older than me. My favorites are older than my parents!

"You deserve a longer letter than this; but it is my unhappy fate seldom to treat people so well as they deserve."

-- Jane Austen, letter from December 24 1798

I love vintage!

I like to watch my vintage pens and think about the life they have seen.

For example, if only my Waterman from 1943 could speak...

In addition to that it's as pretty as a pen ever can get and writes superb smoothly :)9

What else could be asked...?

Edited by PekkaT

"When you point your finger 'cos your plan fell through

You got three more fingers pointing back at you."

Dire Straits: Solid Rock

I much prefer vintage pens. I've tried out modern pens, and have a couple, but they don't seem as good.

I've a Balance, an Estie J, a Snorkel TM with Triumph nib, a PFM (bought in the US and routed via Richard Binder for a health check), a Targa, a really nice non-name vintage celluloid pen I bought a couple of weeks ago, several 51s (which I'll mostly be selling or giving as gifts) and a Dani Densho Raw, which I count as an honorary vintage.

My biggest pleasant surprise has been the Thin Snorkel - I didn't know a thin pen could feel so good.

But I have to say - Kulturs are nice, especially the translucent ones.

Edited by meanwhile

- Jonathan

I'm mostly vintage. I started with relatively modern Sheaffer and Parker sterling silver pens, more because they were sterling than because they were pens. That was the first step down the slippery slope. Since the first purchase last April, I now have about thirty pens, only seven modern (Parker Cisele FP and BP pens, Sheaffer diamond pattern BP pen, and three Hero Parker 51 wannabees, a 100, a 132, and a 616, also a blue Phileas). I have fallen in lust with vintage Parker ring celluloid Vacumatics for looks, and Sheaffer Triumph nib Snorkies for function. Hence my desire for a Frankenmarriage of the two. 'Scuse me, back to the laboratory. :lol:

Nihonto Chicken