Hero Extra Fine Writing Pen & Dux ink

Titivillus

Here's a two-fer review since I bought them at the same time in a grocery store.

The pen is a Hero extra fine writing pen, Imagine a Parker Vector made in Japan with a ribbed section and partially hooded nib and you've got the pen. Except rather than plastic for the body it is made of a metal giving the pen a welcome heft in the hand. The tassie has the Hero logo of a flower very discrete ( some other companies could take a lesson on the beauty of the cap)

Filler is an plyglass sac in a metal holder that I will call an aerometric filler since most people know what that is without all of the minutae of breather tube length getting in the way of understanding what I mean.

Since the filler was next what did I put in it? why Dux ink? something I never saw in the States but on he same aisle as the pens were bottles of ink, I chose the blue just because I was in the mood, they also had black. I would say that it is an equivalent standard Parker or Sheaffer style blue, it is a blue for writing with not one with a fancy name and a color somewhere in the specturm almost but not quite what a standard blue ink might be. A utilitarian color in a very nice bottle similar to a old style Penman maybe with a little more barrel shape

Fit and finish of the pen I would say are equivalent to a Vector/ Safari/ Kultur. It is a well put together pen who's threads on the section are well made and the cap clicks on with a pleasant sound.

The nib when put to paper was identical in feel to a gel pen's line. Smooth and clean probably a 0.3- 0.5mm line if I can use a gel pen as a gauge. This is a pen that is sold in a blister pack and I had less problems with it than pens in elaborate sales coffins.

I would suggest purchasing one of these pens but I doubt that they will make it to our shores. It isn't flashy or interesting enough just a pen that writes and writes well right out of the pack, maybe a few other manufacturers could take some lessons about this. It was a whim since there were several other pens of higher prices with more furniture than I wanted.

I guess I should mention cost of the pen. I'd have to verify the sales slip but I am pretty sure that the pen and bottle of blue ink cost me around $1.30

I have a feeling that this might be a series of reviews of Chinese pens as my plans include going in look of a Parker Asian LE as well as some other not usually seen pens. I know of one store that I will have a repeat visit and my haggling skills will get a workout in another area of the city.

K

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titivillus

• Mighty_Pir

• MYU

• katfisch

And I bet the first reply will be asking for pictures :headsmack: ...Well I'm working on that as I have a adapter from my camera to the computer I just need to find where I packed it or if I left it behind!

K

I assume you're on a trip in China or some other Asian country, eh wot?

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try.

- Mark Twain

Well, since nobody has asked yet, let me be the one to ask for pictures. Of course, I understand the problems if you are travelling, but if you can find a way we would be very interested.

Well, since nobody has asked yet, let me be the one to ask for pictures. Of course, I understand the problems if you are travelling, but if you can find a way we would be very interested.

How generous of you to give a pen report while you're on such a journey. Very interesting review, it is, too. Take good care of yourself.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

How generous of you to give a pen report while you're on such a journey. Very interesting review, it is, too. Take good care of yourself.

Unfortunately my body time is messed up so writing about new pens gives me something to do in the morning/night

K

These models are available in Pakistan as well. Cost is approx US$0.50.

The nib is hard, and produces a very fine line, finer than anything else that I have other than my "F" Sheaffer Javalin, but the latter is toothy.

I keep mine in the office as my crossword pen!

regards

Farooq

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all...

• 6 years later...

Several models of Hero are available via the marketing site AliExpress at low prices. Drawback is the delivery time between here and china (two weeks to two months, depending--check the fine print on the product page. Jinhao, Duke, Baoer, a few odd pieces, others poorly labeled but obvious as to maker, a MB "copy" or two--be patient, there's a lot of retailers to scroll through, but most prices are cheap (my Jinhao 159 $3.95--$12.50 at Goulet). My Jinhaos and Baoers worked great from day one! Looking forward to trying out a Hero and a Duke.

Edited by wrytre